The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 8, 2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Sixer

1958 Remington 572

Hi, I am the new owner of a BST Remington 572 that is in need of some serious TLC. I cant seem to find any instructions or guides for this gun online. I would really like to take it apart as much as possible but Im a bit nervous to do this without some type of help. Any references or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old July 12, 2008, 02:48 AM   #2
Sixer

Hmmmm.... Ok, how about any advice on refinishing the reciever and barrel in the original (bst) buckskin tan color. How would I go about doing that, where can I find the right paint, is it even possible?
Old July 12, 2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Scorch

Sixer-
GunKote is your friend. It is like powder coat but is in an easy-to-use liquid form. For curing, you bake it in an oven. A powder coat shop may be able to help you with the curing process.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...649***10400*** Or you can go straight to the source. This may be your best bet, since you are looking for an unusual color.
http://www.kgcoatings.com/

Start out by fully disassembling the rifle. The "Official NRA Guide to Firearms Assembly: Rifles & Shotguns" is a good place to start if you need diagrams and instructions.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=189533

Once disassembled, either go directly to abrasive blasting, or polish metal surfaces with wet/dry paper, but do not go farther than 220 grit. Use a sanding block whenever you sand. From there, follow the directions that come with the GunKote. Just a note: if you want gloss, buy gloss. When they say "flat" or "matte", it really is flat or matte, and there is no way to "shine it up". Satin may be your best bet here.

For the stock, strip and refinish with TruOil or LinSpeed. Apply 5 or 6 coats, sanding with 320 grit paper between coats when the previous coat is dry. For the last 2 coats, do not sand between coats. The results should somewhat resemble the original factory finish.