The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 11, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
marty55

First Time shooting! Yes!

It was awesome! Started off with the safety course with the instructor. We went over some basic things, safety, aiming, gripping, mechanics. I asked some good questions and we talked for a bit.

We put on our eyes and ears, and then went into the range. I was originally supposed to shoot a ruger .38 revolver. And a Glock 9mm. But I wanted something heavier in my hand and ended up shooting the glock .45 (awesome btw).

Got 50 rounds in with the revolver first. Shooting it as a double action was a lot harder to be accurate, rather than pulling the hammer back itself. I dont know if it was just the gun or if actually all double actions have that heavy of a pull. It was heavy, AND a far pull if that makes sense. It was fun, and definitely got me warmed up for the .45. But I think it was just a sloppy range gun. Otherwise I dont see myself being capable of, or rather wanting to keep a double action in the safe for when the Bad Guy shows up.

The .45 was awesome. I broke my promise I made to myself saying that I would shoot .22 a few hundred times before moving on. But after shooting today, I am confident I dont have any bad habits. I was extremely accurate with this gun at 25 feet. My instructor said I shoot better than him (video game generation i guess?). I will say this though, next time I go shooting I want to shoot a .22 semi auto a few hundred rounds and maybe only 1 bag of .45 . Im a big boy. 6'5 220. Im not gonna lie. My arms got tired. Even On my best target (the one below) I had to stray shots because I was tired of bringing the gun up to my eye level. Oh, and I suck at reloading this gun. I dont have the muscle memory to just pop em in. I looked like a 2yr old trying to open a fritos bag.

That is probably the only bad habit I could see happening. But I recognize it, and accept the fact that I am capable of shooting a full magazine properly. Just I hope I dont need to reload 5 times to take down the Bad Guy because then my aim will suffer.

Overall, Im hooked. I cant wait to get home and shoot the guns my dad left me. So many to choose from! Even more, I hope all the ammo that has been stored for 15 years is still good. I know its been kept dry, But im talking thousands and thousands of rounds in all calibers. Ill cross my fingers. I dare zombies to come to my house though.

I feel a lot better after shooting. I can see how it is so popular. Man, what a great stress reliever. After the first few nervous shots got out of me. I knew that Im going to have to shoot at LEAST few times every month now. My poor wallet....

Anyways, you guys have suggested and helped me a lot so far. Just thought Id share my first time out. Definitely wont be the last.

-Marty

(10 in the head. 10 in the body. glock .45 @ 25ft)

Old January 11, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
lyodbraun

Sounds like you had lots of fun.... now you will be like the rest of us and be forever hooked on it... LOL...
Old January 11, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Jo6pak

Sounds like you had a great time. Keep listening and keep learning, there is no end to increasing your knowledge of guns.

I've never known anyone who started shooting and didn't like it.

Welcome to the club.......prepare to spend alot of money
Old January 11, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4
2damnold4this

Glad you had fun!
Old January 11, 2012, 07:04 PM   #5
infmp32

I still remember the first time I went shooting with my uncles. I was in 1st grade and it was my first time with just the guys up at their cabin. I still get that excited when I go to shoot whether it's a .22, a hand gun, shotgun or center fire rifle. It's awesome and I hope it never goes away. Congratulations on discovering something you enjoyed so much.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Magnum Mike

Oh no! you better seek treatment before it's to late! Next you be eying them up in the store and online! Then you will start making excuses about buying them.
This one feels good in my hand, dont have that caliber, that one matches my shoes so on and on.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
ltc444

Remember my first time shooting a pistol. It felt natural.

Now when I have a bad day, I go to my range and shoot. The routine and rhytmn take away my cares and restore my soul.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Crazy88Fingers

Ruger makes a fine revolver, but they aren't known for their smooth triggers.Just about all double-action revolvers have a long and heavy trigger pull, compared to most semi-autos. A DA revolver trigger pull usually measures in the 10-15 pound range. A semi-auto trigger pull is typically closer to 5 pounds. But if you can master that long heavy pull, everything else is a piece of cake.

And properly stored ammo of a decent quality should last a lot longer than 15 years; you should be fine there.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:51 PM   #9
357 Python

Sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed yourself. Not knowing the distance for the target I would say you did extremely well for your first time. I have trained security officers and now train police officers. I would say you could beat the security officers and match our average police officers on the range. Take more classes from competant instructors, pay close attention to them, and enjoy the sport. I say sport because I hope that you never have the opportunity to put what you learn into actual practice due to an assailant. Stay safe.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Buzzcook

Glad you had fun. That's the main thing imho.

Yup double action revolvers are difficult. But I've found that in the long run they're very rewarding.

.45 acp is the most fun cartridge to shoot out of a full sized gun. I've shot the Glock 21 and while it wasn't my favorite, I can see why people liked it.

Now shoot more guns and take more lessons.

Oh get involved in competition.

And very nice target, good job.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:21 PM   #11
aaalaska

Don't keep this to yourself share with all your non shooting friends. Remember in this those that are not for us usually don't understand,You have a great opportunity to bring in more shooters.
Now enjoy the madness, and know for the most part you are in good company.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:30 PM   #12
C0untZer0

Physical fitness is important.

I have a routine I do to keep muscle mass in my shoulders and forearms, as well as keep my grip strong.

I had a regular exercise regimin that was cycling, pushups/situps, leg lifts - the usual stuff. When I picked up a Glock 34, I got tired after awhile at the range and I got the shakes. I now have a regular exercise regimin designed to strengthen my grip and be able to hold that Glock out there steady. I do running and cycling when I have time but my exercise regimin now is:

Hammer curls:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ammerCurl.html

Ulnar dumbell:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...arFlexion.html

Wrist curls:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...WristCurl.html

Reverse wrist curls:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...WristCurl.html

Attached Images
File Type: gif DBReverseWristCurl.gif (38.8 KB, 1735 views)

Last edited by C0untZer0; January 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old January 11, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
C0untZer0

Wrist roller:

Except I hold my arms straight out when I do the wrist roller.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...Extention.html

I also exercise the fingers to improve grip. I notice it's improved my ability to hold a steady sight picture for longer range sessions:

Captains of Crush also to strengthen my grip and to increase muscle mass in my forearms:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CableRollerWristExtension.jpg (5.2 KB, 249 views)
Old January 11, 2012, 10:47 PM   #14
kinggabby

Welcome to the addiction.
Old January 11, 2012, 11:29 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Congratulations on taking the right approach, and doing so well. It's great to see a young person join our ranks!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 11, 2012, 11:45 PM   #16
ripnbst

I'd post up my exercises to keep my forearms toned but I'm afraid it would get me banned from the site...
Old January 12, 2012, 09:32 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations, and I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself! Unfortunately, you've doomed (DOOOOOMED!) yourself to the addiction. Even more unfortunately, if you want to break that addiction, we're a simply awful support group here at The Firing Line.

I agree that the .45 is a fun caliber to shoot. I've never tried any of the Glock .45 models, but I'm sure that they are fun. I can also assure you that a nice 1911 is a joy to shoot, as well. With that said, I would encourage you to get out and shoot that .22 that you mentioned. You're confident that you have no bad habits, but if this is the first time you've been shooting, I would submit that you have no habits whatsoever. One of the great things about a .22 is that it will allow you to shoot LOTS and LOTS for very little money, and develop good habits. (Another great thing is that they're tons of fun!)

I must admit to being slightly puzzled, though, at how you went almost three years from your join date here before going shooting. . .

Last edited by Spats McGee; January 12, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old January 12, 2012, 11:52 AM   #18
C0untZer0

I don't have any bad habits but I notice if I am not concentrating I start to slip up in certain areas.

I don't know why I'm doing this now, but lately if I'm not paying attention, the thumb on my shooting hand comes unwrapped and is just sort of sticking out.

I also have just had what seem to start out as a bad day on the range. The Ruger helps me get back on track with good fundamentals.

A few times I haven't done this, I've just continued shooting - just determined to "try harder". I've learned from experience that for me anyway, I just end up wasting a box of 9mm ammo with a lot of sub-par shooting.

So now if I'm not shooting my Glock well for some reason, I put it away, get out the Ruger, go down the list of things I know I need to do, and I usually shoot my Ruger Standard well. Most times I've noticed that when I switch back to the Glock and keep up that level of concemtration and relaxation, my 9mm groups tighten up.

I need to get out and shoot with my buddy who is an NRA instructor and have him check me. Everyone can benefit from a shooting coach, I'm just too cheap now to pay for one.

When I first started shooting I always had a coach - either my dad, an instructor from the MTU, or on teams we had a team captain.

For myself anyway, I find I can drift away from doing all the things each and every time.
Old January 12, 2012, 12:39 PM   #19
waddy

For your revolver shooting may I recommend the book [U]Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting[U] written by Ed McGivern. He is one of the earliest exhibition revolver shooters, holding speed and accuracy records for many years before Jerry Michulek (sp?) ramped it up to unbelievable levels. The book is a good read and will ultimately convince you that your pistol can be shot accurately and quickly using the double action mode. Believe what he says, then just do it! Good luck with your shooting, remember though that it can quickly become an addiction, more addictive than drugs!!
Old January 12, 2012, 12:50 PM   #20
kinggabby

Old January 12, 2012, 12:56 PM   #21
kinggabby

Ha last post by me totally wiped out. So here goes again. I agree everyone could benefit from an instructor. But in my case I can not afford one. Every time I have invited someone to go either they blew me off ( not showing up ) or could not afford the time or money. I guy from work used to be a cop and I offered to provide ammo and pay the range fee but he has yet to accept my offer. So sad to say every thing I have learned I have either learned it on my own or through online sources.
Old January 12, 2012, 01:14 PM   #22
jimbob86

Quote:
Got 50 rounds in with the revolver first. Shooting it as a double action was a lot harder to be accurate, rather than pulling the hammer back itself. I dont know if it was just the gun or if actually all double actions have that heavy of a pull. It was heavy, AND a far pull if that makes sense.
Try a 1911, and all the trigger pulls will be short, crisp and straight back!

Sure you can dry fire 100 times a day with a DA wheelgun, and do all many of weight training ...... or get a 1911, because ......

"Life is too short to waste any of it learning to deal with crappy triggers."
Old January 12, 2012, 02:23 PM   #23
concealcarry7

welcome to the funnest amendment right we have (for now) brotha !

its fun & just one of the few things out there that plain ol' doesn't suck haha

@countzero thanks for the tip on the exercises time to whip this butter ball (me) back into shape

hope the thickness of the glock 21 handle was comfortable enough for you
if not try the 1911 style pistol or the 21sf

happy shooting

Tags
exercise , fitness