The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 19, 2002, 10:47 PM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

reloading a remington new model army by swapping cylinders

Is there a "proper" way for reloading a remington new model army revolver by swapping cylinders? I'm interested in possibly shooting mine in some events that would require a reload, and I'd like some tips before i go out and practice reloads with it.
Old October 19, 2002, 11:46 PM   #2
Chuck Dye

Proper? I'd guess that depends on your definition. The most convenient is a separate loader. The one I have used (but do not own) is an 8x10x0.5 inch steel base with a steel rod "barrel" threaded into it. A ramrod and linkage are welded to to the barrel. A base pin is threaded into the platform. It works exactly like loading on the gun. The friend who owns it knocked it together in a machine shop, mostly from stock taken from the scrap bin. He says that similar gadgets are made and sold commercially, 'though I have never seen one for sale. It works great and allows a pit crew to load while my friend shoots. Even better, it allow one kid to load while the others shoot on family outings.

The Fall 1999 Cabela's Master Catalog has one for an Uberti cap and ball 1873 Colt replica. I'd be surprised if a search didn't turn on up for the 1858 Remington replica.

The "tactical" drill? Haven't a clue, except to say cap your nipples AFTER you swap the cylinder. The prospect of a discharge while swapping is an unhappy one.
Old October 20, 2002, 08:12 AM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Andrew,

If this is at a SASS match, then you can't carry or swap out a capped cylinder, just charged with ball & powder.

I have a cylinder pouch that I got from Cabela's. You want a pouch with a flap, to keep out any possible flammable particles. A chainfire in a belt held charged cylinder could get ugly. The club would also let you stage the cylinder, I imagine, but that's dependent on there actually being a place to stage it. If you do stage it, make sure your not going to be shooting right over the top of it, for the same reasons as above.

As far as the reload, I would just pull the spent cylinder, replace with the charged cylinder, and cap the gun. The spent cylinder can go into the pouch or a vest pocket. I would just practice the swap at home (with empty cylinders, of course).

Good Luck!
SASS #18308
Range Master- The Cherokee Cowboys & The Shootout at Mulecamp
Old October 23, 2002, 12:03 AM   #4
Andrew Wyatt

What's the sequence of events involved in switching cylinders?

I think it would be:

1. drop loading lever (can be omitted if you're using an old model army)
2. tilt gun down so loading lever stays out of the way
3. retract cylinder pin
4. roll cylinder to the left with left hand while right hand moves hammer enough to free cylinder.
5. drop cylinder in pocket
6. retrieve loaded cylinder from pouch
7. roll cylinder in with left hand while right hand moves hammer out of the way
8. replace pin
9. lift lever
10. cap revolver
11. bring revolver to full cock
12. continue about your business

is there anything i forgot?
Old October 25, 2002, 03:07 AM   #5
Mike Weber

Howdy:
I recently bought a pair of Pietta New model Armies from Cabelas. I don't have enough spare cylinders yet to get me through a six stage match. I'm still buying cylinders. I met Papa Bear the president of the Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters SCORRS of which I am a member. At one of our big regional matches. He shoots a pair of stainless Pietta New Model Armies. What he does is he carries a dozen spare cylinders loaded but not capped in a tupperware container at his guncart. He just switches cylinders at the end of each stage putting a few drops of Ballistol on the cylinder pin with each cylinder change. He caps the revolvers at the loading table. He loads up the cylinders the night before the match. I have seen homemade loading tools for Colt Cap and Ball revolvers but I haven't yet seen one made for the Remington. I suppose that it would be easy enough to build one. I'll be shooting my New Model Armies in the SASS matches as soon as I get the rest of my spare cylinders and I make a pair of holsters and gunbelts for them. Til then I'll just have to shoot my 75 Remmies.
Mike
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.