The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 1999, 01:52 PM   #1
Futo Inu

Who else besides Lyman sells these? Where can they be found (esp. internet)? Thanks.
Old July 1, 1999, 10:40 PM   #2
swifter...

RCBS, Redding, Lee all make moulds and have web sites. Don't know the addys offhand, but a search'll turn 'em up.

------------------
Shoot carefully... swifter...

Old July 2, 1999, 04:50 PM   #3
Paul B.

Futu. I have used Lyman, RCBS, Hoch,Lee, and LBT molds. They're all good. It would help if we were to know what type of mold you are looking for, Rifle? Pistol? Custom built to your design? A specific bullet?
Let us know, and we'll try to help.
Paul B.
Old July 3, 1999, 08:39 AM   #4
Quantrill

I concur with Paul B. Some moulds are for quantity production and some are for singular bench rest quality. You should first determine your needs and I'm sure there are a lot of us willing to give advice.
Quantrill
Old July 3, 1999, 04:31 PM   #5
Steve G

Some may scoff at this, but I have had nothing but fantastic luck with Lee products. I only four of their die sets. Two sets do double duty (38/357 & 44Spl/44Mag) the 38/357 dies have aboout 5,000+ loads through them about the same for my 45ACP ones.

Their bullet moulds are pretty good too. If you want to, check out their site at [url=http://www.leeprecision.com]
Old July 3, 1999, 05:17 PM   #6
Paul B.

Lee bullet molds cast a good bullet, but are a bit on the fragile side. You will notice that they do not close evenly after a few thousand bullets. The solution is be real careful in closing the mold. I have sent a couple of Lee molds back to the factory, and they have always replaced them promptly.
LBT's are very good but a bit expensive. Hochs are excellent, but very expensive. Lymans can be tempermental, but make good bullets. The SAECOs I have are very good, but the easiest I have worked with have been the RCBSs. After a good degreasing, I smoke the cavities, and usually get good bullets in 5 to 10 casts. By the way, after I degrease a mold, regardless of brand, I always smoke the cavities. It works for me.
Paul B.

[This message has been edited by Paul B. (edited July 03, 1999).]