The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 1999, 11:48 PM   #1
Bill M

Any expert opinions on the Lyman Orange Crusher press? Is it comparable to the RCBS Rockchucker in utility and strength? How about Lyman's 1200 Pro Turbo tumbler? Natchez has both items listed with attractive prices. Advice is appreciated, I'd like to make the wisest choice possible with my limited funds. Thanks.

------------------
Old June 9, 1999, 12:08 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

IMO the Rock Chucker press is stronger than the Orange Crusher, but both will do a good job. If you're looking at presses only, the RC is on sale from Natchez, but they also have the Lyman OC kit at an attractive price if you need more goodies than just the press alone.

As for the Lyman 1200 Pro Turbo, you can't go wrong with it. I've had one for, well, forever.
Old June 9, 1999, 02:08 AM   #3
blades67

I think the RCBS Rockchucker is the stronger of the two presses. I also like the fact that the Rockchucker has an optional Piggyback unit that converts the single-stage Rockchucker into a progressive reloader if desired. I don't know if the Orange Crusher has this option. There's always the Dillon AT 500 Reloader. It's also upgradeable. Just something else to consider.

~Blades~
Old June 9, 1999, 06:25 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

Have the Lyman Crusher 2, has three mounting holes compared to the RCBS two. Either is good.
Old June 9, 1999, 12:37 PM   #5
Bill Hebert

I have the Lyman Turbo Pro Tumbler. It arrived with one "wing" of the cooling fan blade broken. I called Lyman and they said to box it up and they would repair it and I'd have it back in six weeks. Let's see, I pay return postage, wait six weeks, and I'll have a repaired unit. That's the type of customer service I like.....
Old June 9, 1999, 09:25 PM   #6
Bill M

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to share your thoughts on these products. I'll weight your comments when making my decision as to which press and tumbler to buy.

------------------
Old June 9, 1999, 11:00 PM   #7
Gunfounder

Re: Lyman turbo 3200 case tumbler, I went thru 7 of them in a very short time(less than a year), kept sending them in to Lyman, had the same problem with each of them in 1992. Finally got po'd and called the President of Lyman after having spoken with the manager of customer service the 5th time. To make a long story short, I have been using the 3200 now for 7 yrs, and enjoying the mag tumbler that the President sent me gratis. Do I still buy lyman, only when no one else has the item.

[This message has been edited by Gunfounder (edited June 10, 1999).]
Old June 10, 1999, 03:18 AM   #8
blades67

If you're still looking for a tumbler, I can recomend the Dillon CV-500 case tumbler. My dad has one. He bought it a few years ago and hasn't had any problems or complaints. They go for less than 100$ too.

~Blades~

P.S. My only complaint is he won't let me keep it at my place.
Old June 20, 1999, 06:12 AM   #9
Quantrill

Went through 3 Lyman tumblers in 5years. Had the same Dillon now for 7 years.
Quantrill