The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 30, 2016, 07:27 PM   #26
rickyrick

Seeing a pattern here...

PSA stuff is good enough that I'll still use them, I'll have a different payment method next time
Old November 30, 2016, 08:18 PM   #27
iraiam

As far as "entry level" goes, it's probably an awfully subjective term, but the following would probably fit my definition, in no particular order.

PSA Various Models
Stag Arms (Model 3 Carbine)
Ruger AR-556
S&W M&P Sport
Armalite M-15 DSR

I don't own much of this list specifically, but I do own ARs from these manufacturers (just not these specific models)

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old November 30, 2016, 08:24 PM   #28
iraiam

Quote:
Just make sure you give PSA a "burner" credit card, and never ever use a debit card, if you go that route. I have one I only use for PSA, and it still gets cloned about once every two transactions and used for a "manual entry" purchase here or there (the last one was almost $9k - no idea how that didn't raise fraud flags when it happened). I'm planning on cancelling the card a few days after a purchase from there to save myself 30 minutes on the phone with the credit card company from now on. Aside from their shoddy track record with credit card (in)security, the product itself is pretty amazing, especially if you start with an assembled lower, then upper, and put two pins into place, you can save a hundred or two depending on what you like.

Are you sure it's PSA? I have made countless transactions with PSA and never had a problem. When I traveled regularly for work, I had it happen numerous times, it was always Hotels/Restaurants/Airlines/Rental Car. because that's only places I used that card, It usually always happened after a trip to CA as well, and most times the fraudulent transaction was not from CA. My bank once blocked a swiped transaction from Shanghai China for more than $1200, fortunately I had used my card to fill up a rental car I was returning about 30 minutes before that swipe came through. That threw up a flag somewhere.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; November 30, 2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old November 30, 2016, 08:45 PM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
I always use the internet, I never call.
The majority of breached accounts come through internet and mobile device hacking. My security software identifies the level of security for most on-line merchants--and usually the security level is pretty low or out-dated for smaller merchants. The real problem, though, is that these merchants save your data on their servers--so all a hacker has to do is break into the server and they can download all customer's records. Truth is--it'a a lot cheaper for on-line merchants to ignore keeping security up to date --why bother when banks, credit card customers and ultimately consumers will foot the bill?
Old November 30, 2016, 08:55 PM   #30
lockedcj7

My wife and I both had a problem that traced back to one chain gas station. Our bank even confirmed that it was the gas station that was the problem. The name starts with a Q and ends with a p.

I've bought lots of stuff online from PSA but the wife hasn't so I don't think that was the problem in our case.
Old December 1, 2016, 07:20 PM   #31
Grumpy_Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraiam View Post
Are you sure it's PSA? I have made countless transactions with PSA and never had a problem. When I traveled regularly for work, I had it happen numerous times, it was always Hotels/Restaurants/Airlines/Rental Car. because that's only places I used that card, It usually always happened after a trip to CA as well, and most times the fraudulent transaction was not from CA. My bank once blocked a swiped transaction from Shanghai China for more than $1200, fortunately I had used my card to fill up a rental car I was returning about 30 minutes before that swipe came through. That threw up a flag somewhere.
Yeah I thought I was pretty clear when I noted that I now have a card that I only use for PSA which still gets compromised. Quite frankly at this point I'm shocked their cc processor even does business with them. And the fact that there are a littany of threads across the internets with a multitude of other people making the same connection should be pretty ample backup. Try the same google search with buds, grabagun, cdnn, etc and you dont find the same trail of crumbs.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
Old December 1, 2016, 09:07 PM   #32
rickyrick

My incident had two uses on the new card... PSA was one of them.
Then I had to wait for another card.

I'm not gonna use a main card with them.

I think those high volume buyers get left alone.

It's probably the small purchases that get tagged

I was mad because I was required to upgrade to a chip card, that's the one that got hit.

Last edited by rickyrick; December 1, 2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old December 2, 2016, 12:46 AM   #33
ranger56528

My 1st cheep AR was a Bushmaster and I ran most everything through it with no issues,had it for 6 years before I upgraded..A lot more ARs are out there now.
Old December 2, 2016, 05:07 AM   #34
stagpanther

My first cheapo AR was a bushie carbon 15--the best accuracy I could get out of it was when I threw it at a target. Got rid of it as fast as I could.
Old December 4, 2016, 10:08 PM   #35
larryh1108

I wonder if their recent "upgrade" which caused long delays and angry buyers was related to the CC fraud of their shoppers?
Old December 5, 2016, 02:37 AM   #36
BWM

We had are cc used in India! so we now change it out every year. That way it is hard for some one to use it on us we might keep it for 8mo and then get a new one! OH by the way we was never in India!! I thank you need to watch who is running the store!!
Old December 5, 2016, 02:56 PM   #37
rep1954

My entry into the AR15 game was a DPMS in way of a A1 Lite Carbine. A great little gun. Reliability was never an issue with this gun. I dropped in a CMC trigger and changed the stock to a A2 Entry stock ( I have short arms). I added a Trijicon RX01 handle mount dot sight and was very impressed with the gun and could more often than not bench 4" to 6" groups with the carbine length sights at 200 yds. on a 16" diameter target. Funny I thought I needed more but now realize that it did everything that I do with with a AR now just as well as guns that I have built since. This is my last build and is what most would call a Entry gun except for the trigger upgrade. Interesting to note that this barrel, trigger assembly, grip, and stock are the same as was on my A1 Lite Carbine that Used to have.

Last edited by rep1954; December 5, 2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old December 5, 2016, 06:11 PM   #38
458winshooter

Entry AR

Price wise I'd say $1000 I'm not into AR's myself so if neither one gets hooked on it most likely it will become a safe queen.If however they do take to it I would not hesitate to add some goodies to it ,the reasoning behind the 300 or 6.5 upgrade is for hogs.Thank you for your responses so far.
Old December 6, 2016, 07:21 AM   #39
Mosin-Marauder

Isn't .223 becoming quite a popular caliber for hogs as well? I remember hearing people hunt with it, maybe even with FMJs, but I could be wrong. I don't doubt with the right bullet in a 55 or 62 that you could take down a hog with it.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old December 6, 2016, 12:02 PM   #40
rickyrick

Some states have a .24 caliber minimum for hunting.
But yes, .223 works on most pigs. However I have never shot one of those mythical swamp hogzillas, but I bet a .223 to the neck would end him.

That being said, I'd like to try 300aac on some pigs,

I'm more interested in 25-45 sharps, but haven't pulled the trigger on a barrel yet.
Old December 7, 2016, 07:49 AM   #41
wild cat mccane

For entry, how about Anderson?

$430 screams cheap, but if it is truly entry and could be sold?
Old December 7, 2016, 08:01 AM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm more interested in 25-45 sharps, but haven't pulled the trigger on a barrel yet.
I have one--viable but only with a very limited selection of bullets if you want to keep velocities up given the limitations of the case.