The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2014, 05:11 PM   #26
Gats Italian

That painfully bad article only managed to inform me that a semi-literate and ill-educated Glock owner—straight from General Glocking—owns a blog.

Sticks the web of his hand into the way of the slide travel.
Is a big fan of the range gimmick called "riding the reset," and can't figure out a different accommodation for a different gun when given 500 chances.
Can't discern the vast operational differences between the R-51 and the Luger.
Is befuddled by a simple machine's field strip and reassembly, just because it is a little different than what he is used to.
Thinks a fat-arsed Glock is the "same size" as a single stack 9mm pistol.
Uses phrases like "rocking awesome."

A chimp with access to an indoor range and a typewriter may well have done better.
Old February 11, 2014, 06:27 PM   #27
qwiksdraw

You ever get the feeling that some people like to see others fail?
Old February 11, 2014, 07:07 PM   #28
Auto5

While I really have no plans to buy one, I noticed the part about having to engage the spring with the slide stop lever during reassembly or the gun would malfunction. The Kimber solo is the same way. My solution is to make sure my gun is correctly assembled so that it works properly.
Old February 11, 2014, 07:13 PM   #29
gyvel

Quote:
Like all the law suits for (so-called) hammerless revolvers?
Apples and oranges. A ridiculous analogy. The Remington has an internal hammer that will be cocked when there is a round in the chamber.

This is akin to a 1911 with a round in the chamber under cocked hammer and no manual safety. I mean, it would have a grip safety and firing pin block too. Right? (At least a Series 80, anyway.)

And yes, I'm aware that John M. Browning didn't like safeties.
Old February 11, 2014, 07:19 PM   #30
SHE3PDOG

I don't take too much of what internet reciews say about guns to heart. They either love or hate the gun they review without trying to be unbiased at all. I'd rather read what bunch of TFLers had to say about theirs once they get it on the range. Even then, I'd still want to shoot it before buying.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 11, 2014, 08:25 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

I did get a kick out of his calling the slide stop reassembly sequence a "design flaw".

A design flaw is when, assembled run as designed, the mechanism fails to operate properly, or damages itself during operation.

Something that isn't what you think it ought to be isn't a design flaw, its an opinion.

There are lots of things I consider less than optimal, or even downright stupid. And I am often at a lack when it comes to understanding why the designers did it that way. But the fact that it IS done that way (no matter what "it" is) means they intended to do it that way. That's not a flaw.
Old February 11, 2014, 08:36 PM   #32
Fishbed77

Quote:
Apples and oranges. A ridiculous analogy. The Remington has an internal hammer that will be cocked when there is a round in the chamber.
How is it a "ridiculous analogy" when it matches the exact set of criteria (concealed hammer and no manual safety) that you established?

Perhaps you should have been more rational in your approach before you declared a firearm you have no firsthand experience with or clear technical understanding of before you declared it unsafe.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that, for such a high-profile product, Remington is going to go out of their way to make it safe in operation. If not, expect some quicks recalls to make it right (as with the Shield, XDs, and SR9).
Old February 11, 2014, 10:12 PM   #33
jfrey

Just doesn't look like a gun I would be interested in. Don't care for the aesthetics.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:05 PM   #34
gyvel

Quote:
How is it a "ridiculous analogy" when it matches the exact set of criteria (concealed hammer and no manual safety) that you established?
Simple. The concealed hammer in a "hammerless" revolver is at rest, not cocked over a loaded chamber, and thus has the same status as any other double action revolver when the hammer is not cocked.

Quote:
Perhaps you should have been more rational in your approach before you declared a firearm you have no firsthand experience with or clear technical understanding of before you declared it unsafe.
You are right that I have not handled the new Remington, but I have worked on enough 51s to understand how the Pedersen system works. I stand by my original statement that the lack of a manual safety when you have an internal COCKED hammer is a big mistake. I would never trust ANY gun with a loaded chamber under a cocked hammer to just a grip safety.

Here's a good example: The original FN Browning Model 1905 .25 ACP auto (European predecessor of the Colt Model 1908 .25 auto) had only a grip safety to prevent the spring driven striker from firing a loaded cartridge. It wasn't very long before the mistake was realized and a thumb safety was added (as well as a magazine disconnect).

Last edited by gyvel; February 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:36 PM   #35
SIGSHR

No steel frame-no sale for me.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:41 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Quote:
. I would never trust ANY gun with a loaded chamber under a cocked hammer to just a grip safety.
Bet you really don't like my KAHR CM9 with a loaded striker spring, and no safety at all! Probably thousands of law suits as you mentioned in your OP. Care to site two, or three?

The more I see the new Remington, the more I want one!

The more I read The Truth About Guns, the more I think they left out the as I see it in the title.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; February 12, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:47 PM   #37
gyvel

Quote:
Bet you really don't like my KAHR CM9 with a loaded striker spring, and no safety at all! Probably thousands of law suits as you mentioned in your OP. Care to site two, or three?
The striker in your Kahr (or Glock or XD or any other polymer gun) is not at full cock over a loaded chamber It requires a long DA pull of the trigger to bring the striker back to be fully spring loaded before it releases. It's the same system that was used on the Austro-Hungarian Model 1907 Roth Steyr cavalry pistol.

Actually, I do like the Kahr pistols, BTW, or at least the all-steel ones.

Again, it's apples and oranges.

The Remington's hammer is at FULL cock over a loaded chamber. There's no long DA pull to fully compress the spring. To repeat: It's the same as a loaded, cocked 1911 with no thumb safety.

But, by all means: Get one if you like it.

I mean nobody ever sues a gun manufacturer, do they?
Old February 11, 2014, 11:52 PM   #38
gc70

I can overlook the sour grapes in the article because I read gun reviews for facts and try to discern when opinions are derived from facts or preferences.

What I cannot overlook is the presentation of inaccurate information in the size comparison article that accompanied the review. The size comparison said the R51 was "almost exactly the same size" as a "Commander-size" 1911 on the 10th, but that was changed to an "Officer sized" 1911 on the 11th. Neither comparison was correct.

The 1911 used in the comparison was a Bill Wilson Carry Pistol. The "almost exactly the same size" R51 is nearly an inch less in length and over a quarter inch less in height.
Old February 12, 2014, 01:12 AM   #39
Brotherbadger

Ah, that's too bad. I was interested in one, but i always like to wait till they've been out a while so i can hear some first hand knowledge. Maybe it won't be as bad as the review says, but it definately disappoints me a little bit.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 12, 2014, 02:06 AM   #40
fiream29

Hey Remington, Spaceballs called and they want their pistols back! Sorry but that poor thing is just plain fugly.
Old February 12, 2014, 06:16 AM   #41
Nakanokalronin

One reviewers opinion and Remington is already tweeking it before it's release after feedback from SHOT and those that actually fired it, so it should be improved upon before it hits the shelves. I see this as a good thing since most manufactures today allow the consumer to be the beta tester and then do recalls and "upgrades" later on.
Old February 12, 2014, 08:47 AM   #42
lee n. field

Quote:
The Remington's hammer is at FULL cock over a loaded chamber. There's no long DA pull to fully compress the spring. To repeat: It's the same as a loaded, cocked 1911 with no thumb safety.
The XD is the same. Full spring tension on the striker, nothing but a grip safety and striker block.

If they were prone to accidental discharge, they'd have been off the market long ago.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 12, 2014, 08:48 AM   #43
RUT

>>You ever get the feeling that some people like to see others fail?<<

No matter what new gun comes out there are those who can't wait for it to fail. (unless it's a 1911 of course)
Old February 12, 2014, 08:49 AM   #44
Kevin_d77

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the PPQ also have a full cocked striker and zero safety except the trigger dingus? Haven't heard of any lawsuits on those either.
Old February 12, 2014, 08:51 AM   #45
Skadoosh

I wont buy a 'compact' gun designed for concealed carry, chambered in 380...that is as big as Commander 1911.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-r51/p1340533/
Old February 12, 2014, 08:53 AM   #46
Nakanokalronin

Skadoosh, the R51 is a 9mm.
Old February 12, 2014, 10:17 AM   #47
RX-79G

An XD is fully cocked.
Old February 12, 2014, 10:56 AM   #48
Don P

Quote:
Yeesh. Everybody's an expert on the internet.
Yep and everything we read is the absolute bottom line truth, right??
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 12, 2014, 11:03 AM   #49
44 AMP
Staff

I think Remington missed a bet on this one. It ought to have a safety lever (or button). Not because it needs one, but because it will have broader market appeal if it had one.

It has a firing pin block, right? OK, so we will assume it is "drop safe" because of that. And it has a passive safety, the grip safety. Personally, I find this idea "safer" than the GLock style tab on the trigger.

Quote:
It's the same as a loaded, cocked 1911 with no thumb safety.
And just what, exactly, is your problem with that?
Old February 12, 2014, 11:44 AM   #50
buck460XVR

Whether you liked his synopsis or not, he did raise some valid concerns....especially for those not well experienced in gun handling and maintenance. Biased? Of course. Not unlike most other gun reviews tho. Like other gun reviews one must take it with a grain of salt. While I realize the aesthetics of the gun were derived for ergonomics and ease of carry, I still wonder if there is a button somewhere to set it to "stun".