The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 21, 2005, 12:08 PM   #1

Opinions on BB gun for quiet practice? Walther PPK

What are some opinions on using a BB gun for practice, but also some fun? I have come accross a Wather PPk BB gun. I have a Bersa 380 and from the description, this BB gun works the same. Does anyone have one of these? I shoot at a variety of places near my home, but cannot at my home because I am in the city limits. It is a small county, but can't shoot in the backyard, and I think this would be great to shoot in the backyard if I don't really feel like packing everything to go the the dirt pit.
Old July 21, 2005, 01:18 PM   #2
n3twrkm4n

At my training course we used 'simulated' real guns which were in BB gun form, I forget what they were they were either Walther's or Smith and Wesson, I'm pretty sure smith and wesson...
Anyways, these guns SUCKED they shot like 5 shots and then had noticeable shootdown... not to mention the range officer said they were almost $200 a piece cause they simulated the look and feel of a real gun.

IMHO I have better luck with walmart's bb guns, I know the PPK you are talking about but I would say get one that shoots faster, there are pistols that shoot 700 FPS or somewhere in there... they will be better cause they will be louder and help you stop flinching, and plus provide some backyard hunting? Perhaps within season! ;-)

Other than that good luck and shop around! BB Rifles are much better anyhow, BB pistols sometimes are crappy at being accurate... case in point my simulated .357 BB gun... it stinks!
Old July 21, 2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Purdue_XD40

i bought the PPK blowback BB gun, its awesome. i talked the asst manager down to 55 first 10-15 shots they are all over the place because i think it is shooting so fast, then after that they are fairly accurate for about 40 or so maybe more, then they start dropping. it is awesome, and the first few shots have a really hard kick then it lessens slightly. fun gun and cans are easy to hit, sometimes you have to adjust a bit more than usual, but a great gun!

Springfield XD .40 4" black Service Model - 2 hi cap mags
Saiga .308 - 16"
Saiga 7.62x39 - 20"
Ruger P85 - 9mm
Winchester 12 Guage Defender - 7+1 - OOO Federal Buck
Old July 21, 2005, 02:25 PM   #4
chris in va

I recently bought this spring-piston pistol from WalMart and can't believe the accuracy it has.

Now I understand this is a Chinese knockoff of a much more expensive version, but either way it impresses the hell out of me. It's rated about 450fps with a standard pellet.

If you want to do multiple shots, this obviously isn't the gun for you and those BB repeaters would work better in that regard.
Old July 21, 2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Mongo the Mutterer

You can purchase some good BB guns which work well at reasonable distances. I have an Airsoft Glock 17 replica which I use to train the family before they go to the range to fire the real G19.

Lots of fun.

Just took a cardboard box, cut out a lot of the front, and clip target to the front. Even cut a hole in the front of the box for "bb retrieval". Uses the plastic bb.

The weight of the airsoft and the feel are right on. I had to adjust the sight a bit (put a piece of red sticky flag on the front). Zeroed it in.

Have fun

Mutterings
Old July 21, 2005, 02:34 PM   #6
USSF

The Gamo BB pistols have rifled barrels, one of few air pistols that I know of but I'm no expert. I can't vouch personally for their pistols, but I have a Shadow 1000 rifle and it's awesome. I would expect the same quality in their pistols. A good link to check out is www.pyramidair.com . It should have anything you're lookin for.
Old July 21, 2005, 03:04 PM   #7
tanstaafl4y

I personally think that a BB gun is an excellent tool for practicing the 4 fundamentals(Steady Position, Sight Alignment, Breath Control, Trigger Squeeze) reguardless is if replicates you "real" guns. I have a cheapie BB pistol (I think its a crossman similar in shape to a 1911 - Pull the rear portion of the slide to cock) and its accurate enough for my needs---,1" At 20'
Old July 21, 2005, 03:58 PM   #8
kozak6

I have one of those blowback PPK's. It's fun to shoot, the trigger is decent, and the blowback is great, except that it is horrendously inaccurate. I have a lot of trouble hitting soda cans at 30 feet. You have to keep in mind that it has fixed sights, and the barrel is unrifled brass just a hair under 3 1/2 inches long.

I also have a Gamo P23. While it is far more accurate and the rear sight can be drifed left or right for windage, it has a fixed internal magazine, the trigger pull is bad, and it costs a bit more.

Another one I have is a Crosman 1377. While it isn't semiauto (it's a single shot pump-up pneumatic), it should fire at around 600 fps. It's also very accurate, and can be fitted with a shoulder stock for more fun.

My brother has one of those Crosman revolvers, and while the double action trigger pull is horrible, the single action pull is very light and crisp. I haven't shot it much, though, since it leaks CO2 pretty quick since the previous owner abused it.
Old July 21, 2005, 09:17 PM   #9
black bear 84

I have the Walter ppk in bb as others have pointed out it is not very accurate, but enough for me to practice in my basement against a box filled out with newspapers.
My target is a 5" shoot and see, so when the bb hits I can see the hole, the distance is about 23 feet and I do it in the dark basement with a tactical light.
The purpose is to enter, adquire the target and shoot several times, fast just like in clearing a room.

You quickly learn the value of powerful tactical lights here, the Surefire C-3 with the 200 lumens lamp is my minimum and I go all the way up to my Surefire M-6 500 lumens and the modified Maglites (by me) outputting 678 in the 2 "D" and 951 lumens in the 3 "D"

The regular Maglite 3 "D" with 39 lumens will not serve at all.
Why??
Maybe these pictures will show it to you.

Maglite 3 "D" (39 lumens)

Surefire M-6 (500 lumens)

MAG 951 (by black bear) 951 lumens

Going back to the pistol, I like the recoil sensation and the quick shooting and because I am not target shooting deliverated and I am trying to hit many times and fast as I can, I get into the swing of things and it looks quite real, only lacking the noise.

Try it that way and I guarantee you will like it.!!!

black bear 84
Old July 22, 2005, 12:01 AM   #10
chris in va

So ah...how does one modify their Maglites like that?
Old July 22, 2005, 05:39 AM   #11
black bear 84

Chris in Va,

I have a thread in Buy Sell and Trade: Holster gear and accessories, here is the link:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169074

The MAG 951 (for 951 lumens) is rechargeable and made in the Maglite 3 "D"
The 678 lumen light is made in the Maglite 2 "D" ten inches long, also rechargeable. "FREE LUMENS"
The battery pack will last 1000 recharges for 500 hours of light, a Surefire M-6 will have spend $5,000.00 in batteries to run 500 hours!!!

black bear
Old July 22, 2005, 06:26 AM   #12
timothy75

I think the best training you can get out of it would one shot draws from concealment. Which is probably the best training you can do. you can also practice left handed shooting and point shooting with it. What you really need is an airsoft pistol so you can practice indoors.
Old July 22, 2005, 10:49 AM   #13
black bear 84

Guys, regarding my post above in which I practice in my dark basement with tactical lights, here is a picture of some of the pellet, b.b. and soft air guns and some of the tactical lights I use.

The Crossman 1008 repeat air and the Walther ppk are my favorites in the pistol department because the rapid fire capabilities.
I also do well with the Gamo R-77 4" barrel and the Daisy Power Line model .44.
The Berettas are Air Sof pistols, shooting plastic BB's and using a trap for the bb's, they are single shot and you have to manipulate the slide for another shot from the 16 rounds magazine, but they are good to practice clearing drills and loading a magazine in the dark.

The addition of the Shoot & See target bull is very important as is a boost to your morale when you can see instantly how you are hitting the target.

Besides been good practice it is a lot of fun.

black bear
Old July 22, 2005, 11:18 AM   #14
shield20

I have one of the S&W 586 6"bbl pellet guns I shoot at my home in CA. Very accurate and reliable. Taught my son to shoot with it, and he is really good now. Here in NY he shoots and hits with a Crossman bb air pistol, but he also hit the target with my .45 and .41 (though he did not like the recoil - I have GOT to get my .22 conversion kit here for him ASAP!)