The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 4, 2016, 01:58 AM   #1
Sarge

The Astra 45 Colt DA Revolver

I recently acquired a 6" Astra in 45 Colt. The DA pull on this revolver rivals my late nickel 29. The SA has a little creep but will doubtless be fine after a little sear clean-up. This revolver's cylinder lock-up exhibits utterly no movement at the 'moment of firing' position or even with the hammer at full cock.

I ran three cylinders of my basic 45 Colt load (8.5 Universal/255 RNFP) through it, to get a feel for it. Function is perfect DA or SA and it left deep, centered hits in fired primers. I didn't shoot long as we just fertilized the range pasture with turkey do-do and SCUBA equipment would be needed for anything more. Even under harsh conditions it managed a six shot, 3" 25 yard group on the steel plate with some overlapping bullet splashes. I'm going to have some fun with this one.

Last edited by Sarge; December 4, 2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old December 4, 2016, 07:35 AM   #2
mk70ss

Those early Astra revolvers were great. I always lusted after an Astra Terminator .44 snubby.
Old December 4, 2016, 02:18 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Any thread with Astra in it gets my immediate attention and this was worth it. I like those Astras. Very nice looking gun!!
Old December 4, 2016, 04:02 PM   #4
Sarge

Thanks guys. I gutted it out today, polished the DA bearing surfaces and cleaned up a substantial burr that was on the single action sear point of the trigger. The gun was dry inside so it got scrubbed & oiled, too. The cylinder was sluggish so I cleaned & polished the arbor, while I had the cylinder out.

My trigger scale only goes to 8 pounds so I can't measure the DA pull, but I'm guessing it about 10 pounds- and it is really slick now. The SA trigger finished at 4 pounds and is as crisp as any S&W I ever owned.

Bore appears to be 0.454" and cylinder throats are YUGE at a uniform 0.458"... at least I won't need this one reamed, LOL.

Last edited by Sarge; December 4, 2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: dimensional typo corrected
Old December 4, 2016, 07:52 PM   #5
Sarge

I got it pretty well dialed in this afternoon. 6 shots at 25 yards including one vertical sight adjustment. All six went into 2 1/2" and the five, fired after the adjustment, spanned 1 3/4". The load is 8.5 grains of Universal with a Lee 452-255-RF sized to 0.454" I believe the old revolver will shoot.

Old December 4, 2016, 08:15 PM   #6
tallball

Nice! One of my firearms regrets is not buying a beautiful NiB Astra revolver in 44 magnum when I had a chance in 1990 or so.
Old December 4, 2016, 08:34 PM   #7
Model12Win

NICE! With some PDX1 defense loads and some speedloaders, it'd make a good LEO revolver.
Old December 5, 2016, 06:42 AM   #8
CajunBass

Nice looking revolver too. Congratulations.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 5, 2016, 10:39 AM   #9
natman

I have the exact same gun. Mine is nicely accurate too. A definite keeper.
Old December 6, 2016, 12:58 AM   #10
Safestuffer

Surprisingly high quality with a few neat features such as an adjustable trigger.
Grips are kind of tricky to replace due to that adjustable trigger though...the mechanism occupies the same space in the grip frame that most grips use for the grip screw, and as you can see the k/l frame grips don't exactly fit.
I won't be giving mine up anytime soon.

Last edited by Safestuffer; December 6, 2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old December 6, 2016, 02:15 AM   #11
Radny97

I have a couple astras now. Great accurate guns. A 45 Colt is a rare bird. Cool to see them out there in such good condition.
Old December 6, 2016, 08:30 AM   #12
Sarge

It's pretty hard to find a negative review of these revolvers based on the actual use of them. They are excellent guns and while you see occasional stupid high prices on the web, they have no collector value.

I am severely tempted to shorten this one to 4".
Old December 6, 2016, 09:17 AM   #13
Hunter Customs

I have a Astra 3 inch barrel 44mag round butt.

My son came out one day and we took it out for some shooting, after shooting some full house 44mag loads he commented that shooting it you could feel the ground shake.
I just laughed and said no that's just the muzzle blast from the short barrel.

I'll have to say the Astra 44mag is the most comfortable handgun I've ever shot in that caliber with full house loads.
Sadly I'll be departing its company as it will be one of the many of my personal guns listed in my farm auction.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter