The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 24, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
azonicdh

Mini 14 Handguard Question

Can the Ruger Ranch Mini-14 operate properly without the handguard assembly (Key No. 54 in the manual)? The reason I am asking is in NYC, we have to register our rifles and depending on who you ask, the handguard might be considered a barrel shroud which is banned in the city and considered an assault weapon.

Otherwise, this seems like the only semiauto, 5 rounder centerfire rifle that I can get for NYC.

THE FOLLOWING IS THE DEFINITION OF AN ASSAULT WEAPON (according to NYC)
(a) Any semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic shotgun which has one or more of the
following features:
1. Folding or telescoping stock or no stock.
2. Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
3. Bayonet mount.
4. Flash Suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.
5. Barrel Shroud.
6. Grenade launcher.
7. Modifications of such features, or other features determined by rule of the Police Commissioner to
be particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes. In addition, the Police Commissioner
may, in such rules, designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles or semiautomatic
shotguns, identified by make, model and/or manufacturer’s name, as within the definition of assault
weapon, if the Police Commissioner determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for
military and not sporting purposes.
(b) Any shotguns with a revolving cylinder magazine.
(c) Any part, or combination of parts, designed or intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an
assault weapon.
Old September 24, 2010, 01:58 PM   #2
sabo954

IMO, no, it would not be considered a barrel shroud. Firstly, it only covers the upper half of the barrel to the end of the stock. Secondly, it's a safety device so that you don't accidentally burn your hand. A barrel shroud tends to cover the barrel beyond the end of the stock, and as most sensible people are not going to grab a hot rifle on the distal barrel, it's primary purpose is to help disperse heat from the barrel and cool it. Though your Mini-14 hand guard may have holes in it for ventilation, that should be of no consequence.

I have to offer my disclaimer though: I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not NYC or NY state or federal law enforcement. You should probably consult your local police department to find out if it's legal, and if not, what you would need to change to make it legal.

Finally, your post makes me glad to live where I live, and reminds me that I sometimes take the lax firearms laws and enforcement for granted.
Old September 24, 2010, 09:01 PM   #3
KMO

Who knows how some bureaucrat might interpret a barrel shroud. If it was me, I'd track down a factory wood handguard and replace the more recent black factory handguard. It really changes the appearance, and I doubt that even the most bureaucratic badge-heavy NYC employee would declare the wood handguard to be a shroud...
Old September 24, 2010, 09:07 PM   #4
trooper3385

I don't think it would be either. Just FYI, there is a seller on eBay selling ruger factory made wooden handguards. I believe he's selling them for $59.