The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2010, 06:55 PM   #1
LordofWar

Optima Vs Invector Plus Chokes

Anyone who can elaborate on differences, advantages, disadvantages, patterns etc.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:36 PM   #2
BigJimP

I'm not sure your question makes any sense to me ....

Optima is a choke for a Beretta shotgun ....

Invector Plus chokes fit Browning shotguns....

they aren't interchangeable .....the threads are different / unless there is something new out there I'm not aware of.

Are Optima chokes decent quality - sure / are Invector Plus chokes decent quality - sure ... The pattern quality for any given choke depends on the measurement of the barrel vs the choke / and the quality of the machining of each. There are no disadvantages to either choke brand ( they come flush, they come extended, etc ... ).

Maybe you can refine your question / or give us some idea what your purpose is for asking ?
Old January 5, 2010, 07:52 PM   #3
mwar410

bigjimp, I've seen the invector ( they usually have the anodized colors, right?) made for mobilechokes, maybe he is asking about the brands? seems weird putting a browning choke on a beretta.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:01 PM   #4
BigJimP

I don't know ....

But Browning Invector Plus chokes - are annodized and they come in a flush fit, the Midas grade - annodized with a gold band (and printed for size ) - and the Diana Grade annodized with a different band on them ...

Briley makes a number of Invector Plus chokes as well - both flush and extended - and I think for the most part they're stainless or chrome ( not sure ) with annodized colored bands on them ( and printed size ).

So I'm still not sure how we can help the OP ??
Old January 5, 2010, 08:04 PM   #5
BigJimP

here are Briley's offering of Browning Invector Plus chokes...

http://www.briley.com/browninginvectorpluschokes.aspx

As you can see, they come in all kinds of finishes - and different colored bands - and markings ........ I'm sure the Optima chokes have similar options .......

but I'm still confused by the intent of the question...
Old January 5, 2010, 08:17 PM   #6
oneounceload

Aren't both also designed for overbored barrels?

Beretta makes different sizes of barrels with different chokes, and they are not interchangeable.

But I agree Jim, not exactly sure what the question is.........

Browning isn't going to make Beretta chokes, and vice versa. (I doubt Browning or Beretta makes their chokes anyway. Briley makes OEM chokes for a large number of gun makers).
Old January 6, 2010, 12:01 PM   #7
BigJimP

I've heard that Briley does make the chokes for Browning - but I don't know for sure OneOunce....

Brownings first screw in chokes were the "Invector" in the mid 70's I think - then they went to "Invector Plus" around 1990. It wasn't long after that - I started seeing the "back boring" in the Browning marketing literature. There is a difference in length on the 2 Browning choke systems / and they are not interchangeable. But the nice thing about Browning's "Invector Plus" - is all of their Invector Plus chokes ( flush, extended, Midas, Diana, etc ) will fit in any Browning (of the same gague ) with the Invector Plus system in it.

I find it convenient - because in 12ga Browning's - I have two XT's, two XS-Skeet and a BT-100 ( and I can carry a box with one set of Invector Plus chokes in it - and fit all 5 guns). A few of my older Brownings have the old Invector system - but again, at least they fit all the guns in one gague. Its especially important when the boys are home -- and there are 5 or 6 guns going to the range - to make sure I have all the chokes I need without it being a huge hassle.

I'm no expert on Beretta - but I do recall they had a number of different chokes / different thread patterns on their chokes - with Optima being one of them. On Benelli, a subsidiary of Beretta, my Benelli SuperSport has one Crio choke system in it (that gun is about 5 yrs old now ) - but a couple of years ago, they changed the locations on the threads at least on the SuperSport models - so my chokes won't fit the new Benelli SuperSport.

Its especially aggravating - since I own 2 SuperSports in 12ga / and the chokes are not interchangeable ...so I have to be really careful which box of chokes I grab before I head out ( or travel, and I only take one set of chokes in my bag ). It would be nice to have all the same chokes fit the guns - at least from a "thread" standpoint.

Its kind of like when I go to the club ( now this has probably never happened to you ... but ).... I was originally going to take the 12ga Benelli because it looked like rain .... and packed 12ga shells. About an hour later, it cleared up - so I grabbed my 28ga O/U and put the 12ga back in my safe.... The problem was, I never remembered to pack the 28ga shells ....and 45 miles down the road, when I got to the club and opened the tail gate ....you realize you screwed up .....and I had to pay $ 16 a box for 28ga shells to shoot that day .....
Old January 6, 2010, 12:25 PM   #8
oneounceload

Got a friend in that same boat - he has 3 different Beretta 390/391 series guns and all three take different chokes from one another......he winds up shooting his 525 mostly because of that..........
Old January 8, 2010, 07:14 PM   #9
mwar410

beretta chokes

mobilechokes were the norm for a while,390's 391's 680's 682golds,
Optimas where for the techny's and urika two, the newer versions of beretta comp guns.
Optima plus is for field guns
at least that's what angleporting told me.
I think it was all so they can charge me more money.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:51 AM   #10
oletymer

Otima and Invector plus are for different guns. Why the question?
Old January 9, 2010, 10:17 AM   #11
noyes

Beretta 12 gauge. shotguns are offered with either the Mobilchoke or Optima-Choke tube systems. 20, 28 and 410 gauges are only offered in Mobilchoke. The following chart lists the nominal inside diameters for both types of 12 gauge chokes.

http://berettausa.custhelp.com/cgi-b...ZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**

How can I tell which choke tubes fit in my shotgun?

http://berettausa.custhelp.com/cgi-b...i=&p_topview=1