The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 5, 2001, 12:36 PM   #26
HankB

With good softpoint ammo, the 7.62x39 round is certainly adequate for deer. I've successfully used a .357 revolver, and the 7.62x39 beats that by quite a margin. If it's legal where you're hunting and you shoot it well, go ahead and use that SKS.

Stop and think a minute, folks - people have been killing big game with bows and arrows for thousands of years. Some are still doing it today. If what basically amounts to a pointy stick works, how can a well-placed shot from an SKS NOT work?

Just remember this mantra, no matter what you hunt with: SHOT PLACEMENT - SHOT PLACEMENT - SHOT PLACEMENT.
Old June 5, 2001, 12:39 PM   #27
KilgorII

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cris:Although this subjuct seems beat to death, I have one more thing to add that I have not seen mentioned in any of the other posts; in TX any rifle used for hunting is limited to five rounds. The SKS mag would have to be modified in order to take in the field for hunting purposes. This is not a big deal, but just a reminder to check all local laws B4 you head out with a rifle designed for military purposes and not for the hunting sports. FWIW!
Wrong Cris!!! Please do not give out false information. Below I have quoted the actually wording from the Texas 2000-2001 Hunting regulations book. I am also including a weblink to the online version.

Quote:
Magazine Capacity (number of shell/cartridges allowed): Except for shotguns used for hunting migratory game birds (see Migratory Game Bird Digest), there are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting other game birds or game animals.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/hunt/regs/hunt_licns.htm

Kilgor

Old June 5, 2001, 08:19 PM   #28
Cris

I stand corrected. My mistake!
Old June 5, 2001, 09:04 PM   #29
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

But it was a "good" mistake Cris. Thanks!

Giz