The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Best DA/SA Polymer:
Beretta PX4 27 29.67%
CZ P-07 9 9.89%
FNP 30 32.97%
Ruger P95 7 7.69%
Sig Pro 2022 18 19.78%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 17, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Mercenary

Battle of DA/SA Polymers. Which will come out on top?

I absolutely love a SA trigger. I have been looking at gunmakers who offer a polymer framed pistol under $600 that has a DA/SA trigger and have found the following:

Beretta PX4
CZ P-07
FNP
Ruger P95
Sig Pro 2022

All of the above firearms have a similar feel to them and all are available with a thumb safety.

Cast your vote as to which you think is the best one and share details as to why you voted the way you did.

Just have fun with this!

Last edited by Mercenary; August 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:06 PM   #2
WVsig

All the guns you list have decent DA/SA triggers.

IMHO the best value is the Sig SP2022. At about $400 OTD it is hard to beat. The downside is $30 mags and the gun only comes with 1.

If you want a SAO trigger pull with the ablity to carry it cocked and locked in your price range the FNX-9 wins! I recommend it over the FNP-9 USG which can also be carried cocked and locked because the FNX gun has a better more positive on/off feel to the safety.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:09 PM   #3
rigby06

For me the best two choices would be either the CZ or the FNP.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
dean1818

Does anyone carry the SP2022 IWB........ COMFORTABLY?????

(I wonder some times when people carry cannons as IWB....... I guess I dont want to buy pants 2 sizes up)

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old August 17, 2011, 01:25 PM   #5
BarryLee

Quote:
Does anyone carry the SP2022 IWB........ COMFORTABLY?????
Well, I carry a P220 Carry IWB comfortably, so I suspect I could pull off the SP2022. Basically I buy pants that fit and to me that means khakis, shorts, jeans, casual wear that are a little loose. When I buy tailored clothing they do fit a little closer to the body, so I grab my Ruger LCP.

To me the biggest comfort related issue is not pants, but the holster and belt. There are lots of options, but I went with Milt Sparks VM-2 holster and 5.11 Trainer belt. The holster is very comfortable and secure while the belt allows infinite adjustments for different situations and is strong enough to support my holster and more.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 17, 2011, 04:40 PM   #6
balance

Out of the ones on your list, I've shot a Beretta PX4, a Ruger P95, and an FNP. Out of those three, I'd consider the PX4 as the best all-around package, but if it is for carry, I'd look at the PX4c.

But if you are open to suggestions other than the five listed, and if you want a DA/SA polymer pistol with, IMO, a very good trigger, I'd suggest checking out a Walther P99 AS. I can't think of a polymer pistol with a better SA trigger as far as smoothness, break, or reset. It does not have a thumb safety though.
Old August 17, 2011, 05:00 PM   #7
predecessor

Out of this group the PX4, P07, and FNP come in neck and neck at the finish line. (The Ruger and the Sig aren't even in the race really.)

I like the Beretta, CZ, and FNP all for different reasons. Of the three, I currently own only the FNP-9 M (primarily because it is rare and I like rare guns). If I had to choose one, I give the slight edge to the PX4 because you can pare it up with a CX4. But if FN or CZ would make carbines that accept the pistol mags (hint-hint FN and CZ) the race would be back on!
Old August 17, 2011, 05:26 PM   #8
tahunua001

in my own opinion(which isn't held in very high regard)

ruger is a good company and I like MADE in USA stamped on all the stuff I buy but their DA/SA semi's aren't very good, their striker guns are much better.

the sig is like buying A&F when a good pair of dickies will serve you just fine.

FNH has the best reputation for their DA/SA. they're comfortable, they have good fit and finish and they have smooth triggers, the FNX is perty much the same gun but with the added ergo of changeable back straps

the beretta holds a close second but the FNH is just a wee bit better in all regards

CZ is also neck and neck with the beretta.

all observations in this post are considered highly controversial and will likely draw all attention away from the OP and start brand wars, kicking screaming, cheating, spitting and pinching are highly unlikely but hilarious to see when employed on internet forums

Last edited by tahunua001; August 17, 2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:02 PM   #9
mrray13

I have an FNP-9, and carry it off duty. I love it, it's an awesome package. So I chose the FNP/FNX line off your list. Comes with 3 mags too! Save you money off the bat compared to the others.

The Sig would be my second choice, and I think the FNP's trigger, at least with the 2022's I've handled, is just as good.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:05 AM   #10
mavracer

It's not on your list I looked at a STI GP6 last week. It had the best SA trigger I've ever felt on a DA/SA pistol.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 18, 2011, 10:32 AM   #11
zombieslayer

While not a true Da/Sa, The P99 is close enough. And theyre superb.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:51 AM   #12
WVsig

Quote:
ruger is a good company and I like MADE in USA stamped on all the stuff I buy but their DA/SA semi's aren't very good, their striker guns are much better.
IIRC correctly all these guns are made in the US except the CZ.

The Beretta is made in MD. The FN is made in SC. The Sig is made in NH. The Ruger is made in CT.

FNs best gun is not DA/SA it is the Browning Hi Power which is a SAO gun. The FNPs are decent guns and were a steal when they were $300 guns but these day at $450 they are not "deal" anymore. The DA/SA on these compared to a the Sig Pro is mushy. IHMO

The Sig is cheaper than most of the guns on the list with the exception of the Ruger. It only comes with one mag which is a stike against it. It has a long but smooth DA pull but the SA is quick and smooth. It is overly large for it capacity but it makes sense because it was designed as a duty gun for the French police who plan on using it until 2022.

Ruger is built like a tank and looks like someone worked it over with the ugly stick twice. They work but man they look like hell and the grips feels like a 2"x4". I would take one if you gave it to me but I would not pay for one.

The CZ P07 is a poly version of the P01/Compact/PCR and had some issues when it was first released. They have worked through those but they will like all CZs exhibit some amount of camming and the DA will be stiff OTB but gets better overtime. I personally prefer the P01 to this poly step brother.

I have no experience with the Beretta so no coment.

All these guns are within $150 of each other. It really comes down to ergos which are subjective. Which one works best for the person doing the shooting. There is no right or wrong choice.

Once again tahunua001 you need to check some of your facts... and take your own signatures advice. LOL
Old August 18, 2011, 05:17 PM   #13
tahunua001

Quote:
IIRC correctly all these guns are made in the US except the CZ.

The Beretta is made in MD. The FN is made in SC. The Sig is made in NH. The Ruger is made in CT.

FNs best gun is not DA/SA it is the Browning Hi Power which is a SAO gun. The FNPs are decent guns and were a steal when they were $300 guns but these day at $450 they are not "deal" anymore. The DA/SA on these compared to a the Sig Pro is mushy. IHMO

The Sig is cheaper than most of the guns on the list with the exception of the Ruger. It only comes with one mag which is a stike against it. It has a long but smooth DA pull but the SA is quick and smooth. It is overly large for it capacity but it makes sense because it was designed as a duty gun for the French police who plan on using it until 2022.

Ruger is built like a tank and looks like someone worked it over with the ugly stick twice. They work but man they look like hell and the grips feels like a 2"x4". I would take one if you gave it to me but I would not pay for one.

The CZ P07 is a poly version of the P01/Compact/PCR and had some issues when it was first released. They have worked through those but they will like all CZs exhibit some amount of camming and the DA will be stiff OTB but gets better overtime. I personally prefer the P01 to this poly step brother.

I have no experience with the Beretta so no coment.

All these guns are within $150 of each other. It really comes down to ergos which are subjective. Which one works best for the person doing the shooting. There is no right or wrong choice.

Once again tahunua001 you need to check some of your facts... and take your own signatures advice. LOL
everything I posted here was based on personal observation through trigger time with the guns listed and through lots of hours of boredom browsing forums.

I didn't say that the Ruger was the only one that was made in the usa, I just meant that it is the only company based in the US. Beretta is Italian, FNH is Belgian, CZ is Czech Republic, and Sig is German. even if they have factories that make the product in the US, most of the proceeds still go overseas rather than into the American economy. I guess a better way to phrase it would have been to say that I like my money to go to American corporations rather than foreign.

when I said that the FNP had the best reputation, it was not saying that the FNP was their best gun, merely that among the 5 listed the FNP is normally more highly thought of by the general shooting populace. The browning hi power is just that,a browning. I don't call CCI blazer ammo ATK blazer just because ATK owns CCI.

if my post was too vague, perhaps requesting clarification would be better than making your own translation and finding fault.
ignorance IS correctable, hopefully pretension and condescension are as well.

are there still problems with my facts?
Old August 19, 2011, 05:58 PM   #14
Mercenary

Not too suprised to see the Ruger in last place but I figured that the CZ would be doing better in this in comparison to the others. Kinda dissuades me from it and leans me more in favor of the other frontrunners.
Old August 19, 2011, 07:05 PM   #15
WVsig

Quote:
I didn't say that the Ruger was the only one that was made in the usa, I just meant that it is the only company based in the US. Beretta is Italian, FNH is Belgian, CZ is Czech Republic, and Sig is German. even if they have factories that make the product in the US, most of the proceeds still go overseas rather than into the American economy. I guess a better way to phrase it would have been to say that I like my money to go to American corporations rather than foreign.

when I said that the FNP had the best reputation, it was not saying that the FNP was their best gun, merely that among the 5 listed the FNP is normally more highly thought of by the general shooting populace. The browning hi power is just that,a browning. I don't call CCI blazer ammo ATK blazer just because ATK owns CCI.

if my post was too vague, perhaps requesting clarification would be better than making your own translation and finding fault.
ignorance IS correctable, hopefully pretension and condescension are as well.

are there still problems with my facts?
Boy you take this stuff pretty seriously... LOL You need to get a sense of humor and you need to learn to not us ad hominem attacks. Attack a persons words not the person.

You comments were imprecise at best completely inaccurate at worst.

You did not state you preferred US companies you said you like "Made in the USA" stamped on things. I stated that all the guns but the CZ are in fact made in the USA.

How many of these guns have you owned or shot extensively?
Old August 19, 2011, 07:59 PM   #16
vaskeet

I will match my ruger P97 with any gun costing 1.5 times the price as far as reliability and shootability I like the looks of the p guns kinda like a classic muscle car Randy
Old August 19, 2011, 10:47 PM   #17
RC20

Quote:
the sig is like buying A&F when a good pair of dickies will serve you just fine
Err sorry, its a sub $400 gun. I think that out Dickies the competition. I would put it by far as the best for the value in any gun, let alone DA/SA.

I also do not believe the Sig SP2022 comes with a thumb safety of any kind in any version in the US. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

HK does offer a manual safety in various offerings in the US.
Old August 20, 2011, 03:06 AM   #18
lechiffre

You left out the best one :

Walther P99

do the interns get glocks ?
Old August 20, 2011, 03:08 AM   #19
BigPapa4147

I voted P95 because its the only one I have any experience with. I also happen to think its a pretty good looking gun (in stainless) and it shoots to point of aim for me. I love mine, and it only cost $350. Hard to beat that and still get quality.
Old August 20, 2011, 01:26 PM   #20
Te Anau

Ya'll are crazy on thinking the Ruger P95 is the worst of that bunch!
Old August 20, 2011, 01:34 PM   #21
Jim243

Quote:
I will match my ruger P97 with any gun costing 1.5 times the price as far as reliability and shootability I like the looks of the p guns kinda like a classic muscle car Randy

Yes the P-97 is built like a brick you know what, but it weighs about the same as one. For weight, price and reliablility you can not beat the FNH FNP series of pistols.

Jim

Old August 20, 2011, 07:12 PM   #22
RC20

Guess we could argue reliability all day long, but an FN pistol on PRICE?

The Sig SP2022 is a sub $400 gun (even with night sights with some shopping).

FN is not even close to that price.

My Sig has been totally reliable, so on as sample of one it completely reliable (though reports by many) its a very reliable gun

Prefer the FN for other reason, ok, but not price nor and or reliability
Old August 23, 2011, 10:20 AM   #23
mrray13

With some shopping, the FNH can indeed be had sub $400. As a general rule, the FNH is the higher priced weapon though.

Advantage of that higher priced FNH? You don't have to buy extra mags, unless you want more then three. And if you shop well enough, since we have included shopping around, you might even get the FNH with the shooters pack, which will include holster, mag pouch and training barrel.

Will buying a couple extra mags for your Sig equal out the price? Not if you shop around some more, true. But IMHO, in the overall scheme of things, I, like Jim243, find the FNH hard to beat when it comes to the total package of price, reliability, weight, performance, trigger, looks, features and customer service.

That said, my next gun purchase is indeed going to be a Sig. I love my FNP-9, will qualify with it again tomorrow, but I want a Sig pretty bad, lol. That's why they went, they are, one, two in this thread IMHO.
Old August 23, 2011, 10:25 AM   #24
WVsig

The FNP used to be a sub $400 gun. You can still find them used LNIB for under $400. They are good guns not great. They have some quirks and IMHO their trigger is a bit spungy. As I said before when they were sub $400 with 3 mags and all the goodies they were a steal. I owned 2 of them. One tutoned and then a USG. Sold both.... Nothing wrong with them I just did not shoot them as much as other guns.

Still have my German Sp2022...
Old August 23, 2011, 10:30 AM   #25
Will Beararms

HK in various models