The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2002, 07:20 PM   #1
dischord

ANSI/SAAMI standards

Anyone know where I can get a breakdown of the domestically manufactured firearms that comply with the existing voluntary safety standards for manufacturing:

Criteria for Evaluation of New Firearms Designs Under Conditions of Abusive Mishandling for the Use of Commercial Manufacturers [ANSI/SAAMI Z299.5-1985 (R1996)]. Purpose: “Provides procedures for evaluating new firearms designs and applies to rifles, shotguns, pistols, and revolvers. In the interest of safety, these tests are structures to demonstrate to the designer of new firearms that the product will resist abusive mishandling. These procedures are specifically understood not to apply to muzzle loading and black powder firearms of any type.”
Old February 7, 2002, 10:51 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think you can get any ANSI pub from them. Try www.ansi.org, but it won't be cheap! I think SAAMI (www.saami.org) provides its standards only to its members, but I may be wrong. They are also costly.

Jim
Old February 7, 2002, 11:34 PM   #3
dischord

Jim,

Thanks, but actually, I'm looking for a list of manufacturers who do and don't use the ANSI/SAAMI standards. I'll ask SAAMI, but they provide only a snail-mail address for contact on their website, and I was hoping for something quicker.

I assume that all SAAMI members comply, but are there non-SAAMI members who comply but don't belong to SAAMI?

How widespread are non-ANSI compliant firearms?
Old February 8, 2002, 07:18 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

GUESS WHO?

You can figure everyone selling guns in THIS country makes SURE they're lawsuit-proof (LOL).

My ammo company DOES NOT adhere to (voluntary) SAAMI standards.