The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 31, 2015, 07:54 PM   #1
oldscot3

sr k31 stocks

Did Boyd's quit making military replacement stocks for K 31s? I've seen handguards on their site, but no stock.
Old April 1, 2015, 09:20 AM   #2
CowTowner

Looks like they have stopped producing them.
I'd send them an email or better yet, call them to see what's up.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 1, 2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm curious in the reply... I have one that was somewhat sporterized ( cutoff the stock, & removed the front barrel band on the original stock )

... & have been wanting a replacement, which I haven't tried real hard yet, but aren't finding easily...

BTW... my receiver was drilled & tapped for a scope... was thinking about having my retired machinist buddy dress off some machine screws flush with the receiver... do you guys think that would add to the value, or once its drilled it wouldn't matter??? I have an exceptionally good welder that could fill the holes, but I expect just filling the holes & dressing out the screws, would be a similarly acceptable "repair" ???
Old April 2, 2015, 06:30 AM   #4
tobnpr

Filling in the mount holes in the receiver wouldn't increase value as a collectible.
I'm still amazed that these are still available for only $300- by far the best value in a milsurp today.

Scope mounts are few for the K-31- and the receivers are very difficult to d&t (been there and done that). If you can determine what mount it is prepped for, I believe it might be worth more to a buyer that would want to scope it.

I'd leave it be in case you ever decide to sell it.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 2, 2015, 06:56 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

unfortunately... one of the drilled & tapped holes is right in the middle of the Swiss crest on the top of the receiver... I figured if the holes were filled with a screw, & a little creative shaping or grinding used while bringing it flush, I might be able to restore at least the appearance of the original crest... of course the screws could always be removed... somehow

I didn't get the mount with the gun though so I would either have to figure out what the base was, or have one made... since otherwise the gun is in "as issued" condition, I always hoped to get a replacement stock & front band, & keep the rifle in my milsurp collection...
Old April 2, 2015, 10:44 AM   #6
zfk55

It may not be until fall, but we'll be back manufacturing Swiss stocks again IF we can find a decent supplier of low sapwood Walnut. At the moment it's not looking real great.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old April 2, 2015, 10:47 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

I have walnut blank stock wood in the rafters of one of the sheds ( they may not be long enough for a full length original military stock ) if I had a couple, would you guys consider making a few, or making them from laminate wood blanks???
Old April 2, 2015, 07:21 PM   #8
oldscot3

Zfk55, I've got your site in my favorites, I'll keep watching. Meantime, I may pick up a sporter stock to drop it in so I can shoot it a little.
Old April 3, 2015, 10:02 AM   #9
tobnpr

Quote:
IF we can find a decent supplier of low sapwood Walnut.
PM me if you like.
I'll give you the contact info of my supplier in Cali, both Claro and French.
Great people to deal with.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 3, 2015, 10:51 AM   #10
zfk55

MWM, unfortunately we're contractually obligated to sell only through our distributors. We've never had a retail operation, and as for wood........ tobnpr, I'll PM you later today from the SP armoury. I'd be very happy to follow any lead you can provide, but I can tell you that we've been searching for 3 years now for straight walnut by the palate without success. It must be low sapwood, straight walnut 1st or 2nds that begins as 2.25"x8"x 50 to 144" for us to be able to nest a pair of stocks for cutting the blanks.

The real problem is the walnut must be standard straight grained to keep the cost within reason for the end user. We can make stocks all day long with the more expensive blanks that are available, but the B/F cost factor is way out of reach. The wood I'm talking about has been a "first call" for the furniture industry for years, and that is the real supply problem.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old April 4, 2015, 06:29 AM   #11
zfk55

tobnpr, you have a PM

*and...... On your website video. That is a Mosin??*

Last edited by zfk55; April 4, 2015 at 06:39 AM.