The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 8, 2013, 08:28 AM   #1
imp

SKS scope/mount ideas

Right now my siminov has the scout scope mount with an eotech mounted on it. I'm going to put the eotech on another rifle, and want to have a low power, long eye relief scope on the scout mount. However, the scout mount is a pretty short little piece of rail. Its not long enough for two rings with the windage/elevation knobs between them. Maybe looking for a mount that can cover the smaller rail...any ideas?
Old May 10, 2013, 02:04 AM   #2
Bacteriophage

Try one of the one-piece scope mounts with built-in rings. A lot of them are made specifically for that situation and have short attachment sections. Like these: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/...ount_Picatinny

I don't really recommend buying from CheaperThanDirt, they overcharge for shipping and aren't that cheap, but they conveniently have a whole section devoted to this type of product. I bought my one-piece mount from Amazon.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:11 PM   #3
imp

Thanks, that's exactly what I need.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:08 AM   #4
rfxcasey

Would it be possible to mount a nikon 3x9x3? On my sks and if so what would I need to accomplish it? And still use stripper clips that is.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Bacteriophage

Quote:
Would it be possible to mount a nikon 3x9x3? On my sks and if so what would I need to accomplish it? And still use stripper clips that is.
If you want to use stripper clips, you need a medium-eye-relief or long-eye-relief scope on the Scout Scope mount. Any scope that extends far enough back to work as normal eye relief is going to cover the stripper clip/ejection area. It would also look very odd. This applies to most scopes if you mount them on the dust cover, too, unless very compact.

Long-eye-relief scopes are often marketed as "scout scopes" or "pistol scopes." To mount one on the SS, you'd need to put it in a one-piece mount that sort of sticks out forward. Medium-eye-relief scopes are usually sold for the Mosin Nagant with a kit that, like the Scout Scope mount, replaces the rear sight of that rifle. You could mount that pretty normally on the SS mount.

The SKS isn't designed for optics, so putting one on is always going to be a little difficult.