The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 11, 2012, 12:07 AM   #1
HDTVSELLER

Iver johnson 16 gauge sxs stock refinish

ok i have a old iver johnson hercules grade 16 gauge sxs and the stock is at the point refinish or replace. It wasnt taken care of once it was handed to my father it stayed in a closet for 35 years until last week. I have sanded the stock but now im down to howto make it have the golden color it once had years past insted of black tar it was when i got it. once sanded the color of wood is great alittle dark do i stain or do i put some poly on it ect? i would rather be able to go to homedepot to finish it but if it needs to i can order the right stuff to make it look right.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Sport45

Start by wiping it with some mineral spirits. That will give you an idea what a natural finish will look like.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:25 AM   #3
HDTVSELLER

if the that looks good what do i do to retain the look like a protection coat or such?
Old May 11, 2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Sport45

If it looks good wet with mineral spirits you could go over it with a few coats of Tung oil finish. It will get a little darker with each coat, but not much. Sand or steel wool between coats for a smooth finish.
Old May 11, 2012, 04:30 AM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Watco or Min-Wax have finishes that you can wipe on ! Tung oil is a pain in the butt , and not a great finish . Helmsman Urethane is an excellent top coat , the satin gives a beautiful flat satin finish , that's tough as nails and UV resistant !
Old May 11, 2012, 05:48 AM   #6
Sport45

I was referring to MinWax Tung Oil Finish. I wouldn’t recommend pure tung oil either.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:30 PM   #7
El Paso Joe

Just a suggestion... Go to either Brownell's or Midway's web sites and avail yourself of one of their DVDs on gunstock finishing. AGI has good DVD's. A little instruction will make a big difference in the final project. Tung oil has a technique to it and requires more than just a couple coats. Also Tru-Oil is a good product. I have used both of these over the years. I would not recommend polyurethane.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Doyle

Quote:
I was referring to MinWax Tung Oil Finish. I wouldn’t recommend pure tung oil either.
+1 on the Minwax Tung Oil Finish. I've used this on several "shooter grade" stocks and it works great. It is easy to apply,very tough, and reparable. Yes, there are better options if you are looking to make a show piece but this works perfect for my needs.