The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2002, 10:08 PM   #1
kbsrn

45 ACP and the Square Deal B

I am using a Square Deal B to reload my pistol rounds. The 45's seem to have a slight bulge at the bottom of the case that the resizing die does seem to reach. What am I doing wrong?
Old May 18, 2002, 10:26 PM   #2
Chemistry

Bulges at the bottom of the case can be formed during the seating and / or crimping stages, especially if you are using harder brass.

Brass with the A-MERC headstamp is notorious for being like this.

First of all, look at your brass headstamps. Throw out anything from A-MERC or Norinco.

Check the completed cartridges with a cartridge gauge. I would suggest getting the Dillon ones, since they are stainless steel.

If the cartridges slide in and out easily, you don't have to worry, as long as the bulge is not really noticeable.

If you are having chambering problems, you may want to buy a Lee Challenger press (30-40 bucks), and a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die, which will resize the completed cartridges.
Old May 20, 2002, 07:27 AM   #3
Dave P

Sq Deal

Checking your brass seems like the right idea, but I would hate to see you adding a whole nother press and action to re-size. That's why I got a Sq Deal, cause it auto indexes.

Call the factory too, I'm sure they will help.
Old May 20, 2002, 08:35 AM   #4
jjmorgan64

A second press with the Lee FCD is a good investment

I use an RCBS partner press, this will improve your loads.

that being said i get the feeling that your seeing the line where the sizing die stops, this is completely normal. The sizing die has a tapered interior, not all of the brass will reach in far enough to be completely resized. As long as the sizing die is screwed down to where it almost touches the shell holder, this is how the die is designed.

If it is a balooning or a crinkle you have other issues, however as long as the brass is within specs, you are all set.

JM
Old May 21, 2002, 09:20 PM   #5
Biathlonman

I just had the exact same problem with mine! Don't know if it is the correct fix, but I just tighten the final die that does the crimp, solved the problem. I think my problem came from bullets that were .452, but I am very new at this so I don't know for sure.

Give Dillon a call.
Old May 22, 2002, 07:48 AM   #6
Master Blaster

A few things to check or try,

You may want to check the sizing die is it all the way down to the shell plate if not screw it down further,

The Belling/ powderdrop, is the bell sufficient to allow the bullet to set on top of the case, and slightly in?

You may want to increase the belling slightly very slightly to reduce the pressure needed to seat the bullet.

What is your crimp dimension is it .471 at the case mouth?

If its .472 or .473 you may want to increase the crimp.

You could also try using a little case lube eventhough you dont have to with carbide dies, lube makes life easier.