The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 1, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1
RSD

Smith & Wesson M&P 15T FTF

Hello, I am curious if anyone is having issues with failure to feed/chamber in the S&W M&P 15. I purchased this rifle 2 wks ago and have had these issues. I completely cleaned the weapon out of the box and reassembled. The rifle does not always do it, but has done it during live fire my first time out and when I am manually cycling the charging handle. It will do it with factory Remington ammo and my own reloads. There is a lot of brass chips after I cycle a few rounds manually and the round jam far long of where the forward assist will help. The bolt in other words is still half open. Though I can't say it's true all of the time I'd swear it does it more out of the right feed. Oddly steel cases do not exhibit this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RSD; May 1, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old May 5, 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
7jinxed7

Is it leaving cuts or scrapes in the side of the case?

I had a feed issue on a home build(not my build) AR. Mine had scrapes from the tip up the side of the casing. Jammed repeatedly manual and shooting. Also caused denting of the case if you used the forward assist and would also lock the bolt partially open. My problem ended up being a sharp edge on the corner of feed ramp on the squared corner. I used a needle file then a fine emory cloth followed by polished fixed my issue. Don't know if this will help you or not but it's at least something to look for.
Old May 6, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3
TrailBlazinMan

If the gun is making brass chips then there is most likely a sharp corner somewhere shaving brass. The brass chips are probably what is causing the failure to feed.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:35 AM   #4
RSD

Thanks guys,
I ended up sending the gun back to S&W whom promptly sent it back with a new clip. Though I have not fired it yet it appears to have resolved my issue.
I took 10 rounds and just started manually cycling it and out of 30 or so cycles I had zero issues.
Turn around time was quick and service was very pleasant.
It would appear that if I had zero issues w/just manually charging the gun from the clip that one would think we are ok. I intend to conduct an intense proofing session now with the rifle and repost my results.

RSD