The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2010, 10:22 AM   #1
pilpens

How long do you keep mags fully loaded?

I have read an article which says keeping mags loaded for an extended period does not weaken the mag spring. True or not, I cycle my mags. It makes me feel better.

How long do you keep your mags fully loaded?
Old February 21, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
drail

It does not affect the mag spring to be left compressed IF the spring is not overcompressed as is the case with many double stack high capacity mags. In that case simply down load it a couple of rounds. A 7 round 1911 magazine can be left fully loaded for many years and not be affected if the spring is made from good steel and properly tempered. Rotating mags realy accomplishes nothing and actually puts more wear on the spring from compressing and releasing it. Just keep the spring within its designed working range. Don't stretch it and don't crush it.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:40 AM   #3
pilpens

I have been reading more about this and slowly seeing that keeping mags loaded may not be as big an issue as I thought it was.

1. As long as the constant load on the spring does not stretch or compress the spring over its elastic limit, then springs should be OK.
2. Repeated cycling can weaken spring similar to what happens with recoil springs.

I am starting to see that the cycling is more of an issue that keeping mags loaded.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Nomadicone

Years!
Old February 21, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
varoadking

Quote:
Years!
You don't shoot very much then, eh?

Mine are loaded until I shoot, and then reloaded and maintained that way until I shoot with them again...

One of these days I have to count up all my magazines...I'm guessing I have 350, or more...
Old February 21, 2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Coltman 77

Quote from pilpens:

"I have been reading more about this and slowly seeing that keeping mags loaded may not be as big an issue as I thought it was.

1. As long as the constant load on the spring does not stretch or compress the spring over its elastic limit, then springs should be OK.
2. Repeated cycling can weaken spring similar to what happens with recoil springs.

I am starting to see that the cycling is more of an issue that keeping mags loaded."

+1

That's my understanding too.

However, just for fun, I shoot up my carry ammo and then load a fresh magazine about every 3 months.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old February 21, 2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Nomadicone

"You don't shoot very much then, eh?"

Actually I have carry mags, practice mags and competition mags. The carry mags only get unloaded occasionally to clean. Those are the ones that go years staying loaded 99.9% of the time.
Old February 21, 2010, 02:45 PM   #8
PSP

Quote:
How long do you keep mags fully loaded?
Never more than fifty years. That's a firm rule I live by.