The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 11, 2000, 07:17 AM   #1
zip

not realy sure if this goes here but have any of you used any of the .44 1851 navy / confederet navy type pistols
im looking at one just to play with ect

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old January 11, 2000, 12:40 PM   #2
Joe West

Zip,
I used one in .36 when I started. No .44 cal 1851 versions existed until modern repros came along. No reason not to use one however. If you're talking about either the brass or steel framed version, I had good luck with both holding together. But bad luck with reliable match use. A lot of cap fragment jamming. I went to 1960's era repros of 1860 Colts from Belgium [ called Centennials] till I wore them out pretty good. I need to rebuild them when I have time, they're better than real Colts to me.
Then I started using the Pietta '58 Remington copies from Cabelas. After some judicious gunsmithing and hardening of parts, I've got very dependable guns.
I first switched to .44s because matches used to have a lot of knockdowns. Funny that we used to have to police the overly heavy loads!
Joe West
Old January 11, 2000, 01:00 PM   #3
zip

another question dose any body make a bp deringer either a single/double bbl.,or small revolver

------------------
oneshotonekill

[This message has been edited by zip (edited January 11, 2000).]
Old January 12, 2000, 12:34 PM   #4
Trigger Jerk

There are a few companies that make derringers that are suitable for CAS. To answer your question about a black powder derringer... the answer is that any derringer made for smokeless powder will also handle black powder cartridges. Or course you will have to load your own black powder cartridges. I shoot smokeless in the main matches but for pocket pistols and derringers I shoot black powder.
Davis makes inexspensive derringers from 22 lr to 38 special. There work great for CAS.

As for the small revolver...you are talking about a pocket pistol? If so these are small caliber (32 & 38) break top original pistols of various makes. No one today makes a replica pocket pistol. They are usually reserved for side matches, but not always. You should be able to pick up a servicable one for less than $100. Gun shows are great places to find these little pistols.
Old January 12, 2000, 05:22 PM   #5
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Zip,

Armi San Marco make a small pocket Remington 5-shot revolver. This is a C&B,5-shot pistol. I got mine from Bass Pro Shop. I think CVA sells them. Uberti makes a baby Dragoon-a .31 caliber small frame revolver. CVA also makes a single shot BP derringer. Get a Dixie Gun Works catalog-they have several BP derringers and small frame revolvers for sale.

Bellicose Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited January 12, 2000).]
Old January 17, 2000, 07:29 AM   #6
Bud Helms

Zip,

North American Arms Corp has a .22 cal cap & ball revolver. See NAA Companion .

Old October 13, 2009, 05:16 PM   #7

new to black powder-need help with Hawken

I have a 45 caliber hawken I picked up after finaly watching the movie Jeramiah Johnson one to many times.It says Charles Daly but has and I satamped on the barrel with made in Italy Beside it. From what I have head this means it was made by Investarms. The problem is I have no Ideah how much powder is safe to load. I am trying to find a good white tail load and I will be using patched round balls can anyone point me in the right direction.
Old October 13, 2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
not realy sure if this goes here but have any of you used any of the .44 1851 navy / confederet navy type pistols
im looking at one just to play with ect
Keep loads to 25 grs. or less and it should be ok. Just watch the recoil shield where the cylinder hits it and if it starts showing any signs of imprinting the cylinder ratchet reduce your loads.

Quote:
another question dose any body make a bp deringer either a single/double bbl.,or small revolver
DGW sells several different muzzleloading derringer kits from Classic Arms. I have the Twister which is an over/under. I got it when they were still selling them as complete guns and it's a POS.

Quote:
I have a 45 caliber hawken I picked up after finaly watching the movie Jeramiah Johnson one to many times.It says Charles Daly but has and I satamped on the barrel with made in Italy Beside it. From what I have head this means it was made by Investarms. The problem is I have no Ideah how much powder is safe to load. I am trying to find a good white tail load and I will be using patched round balls can anyone point me in the right direction.
75-90 grs. depending on what your rifle likes. It takes some work to work up a round ball/patch combo that works but worth the effort when you get it.
Old October 13, 2009, 11:08 PM   #9
pvt.Long

the 44 was not navy its the army cal For navy I would go for a 36 or the 31. If you want something not seen every day get a duckfoot or a pepper box.
Old October 14, 2009, 04:03 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
the 44 was not navy its the army cal
He's talking about the brass framed Pietta 51 in .44 they call the Confederate Navy which didn't exist.
Old October 14, 2009, 09:03 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
There are a lot of different replicas of the Colt pocket pistols in .31 and .36. Baby Dragoon, Wells Fargo, 49 pocket, 62 police pocket, 62 pocket Navy, Trapper model.
Old October 14, 2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Noz

According to the usage of the era: Navy referred to a belt pistol of 36 caliber. The ones colt made had the same grip as the current Colt Peacemakers/1873s.
The designation Army was for belt pistols of 44 cal. The Army has a larger grip so that the heavy recoil of the 44 caliber gun could be more easily handled.
I believe there is one factory gun that is in a museum somewhere that is a 44 cal with Navy frame and grips.
Also Colt did not make any brass framed guns.
Old October 14, 2009, 10:18 AM   #13
grymster2007

Quote:
Quote:
There are a lot of different replicas of the Colt pocket pistols in .31 and .36. Baby Dragoon, Wells Fargo, 49 pocket, 62 police pocket, 62 pocket Navy, Trapper model.
As madcratebuilder pointed out there are a number of small BP revolvers. I have the '63 Pocket Remington (.31) and it is a very small revolver. Not as small as the NAA, but about as small as my big mitts can handle.
Old October 14, 2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
According to the usage of the era: Navy referred to a belt pistol of 36 caliber. The ones colt made had the same grip as the current Colt Peacemakers/1873s.
The designation Army was for belt pistols of 44 cal. The Army has a larger grip so that the heavy recoil of the 44 caliber gun could be more easily handled.
This is all true but tell that to Pietta.
Old October 14, 2009, 12:55 PM   #15
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Also Colt did not make any brass framed guns.
No, but thare are many CSA period Colt clones with brass frames, Griswold&Gunnison, Schneider&Glassick. I think the Leech&Rigdon had both brass and iron. The Whitney clone, Spiller&burr.
Old October 14, 2009, 03:01 PM   #16
SigP6Carry

why is it that 1/2 of all threads regarding the Pietta 1851 Navy in .44 degrades into an argument about how inaccurate (historically) they are.

I've got one myself, never fired it, though. BP shooting is a bit out of my price range right now, but it's a fine gun. I've talked to a few folks about their BP revolvers and it seems that the Pietta brass frame holds up well with lower volume loads. You're not going to get the power and force of a good steel frame, but it'll work for a starter.

If you want something with a bit more kick or power: I'd suggest going with an 1861 Army or Remington 1858 copy. Both of them are only a bit more expensive than the 1851 brass navy copy, but are built tougher and last longer when you fire it with full loads.
Old October 14, 2009, 03:49 PM   #17
TomADC

I have one NIB $120 plus shipping.. PM if interested.
Actually it a EMF 1851 Navy brass frame 44 cal.

Last edited by TomADC; October 14, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old October 14, 2009, 06:58 PM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
why is it that 1/2 of all threads regarding the Pietta 1851 Navy in .44 degrades into an argument about how inaccurate (historically) they are.
Because it irks some of us and we feel we have to put the record straight.
Old October 15, 2009, 12:09 PM   #19
SigP6Carry

but nobody comes on here saying that it's an accurately made weapon. They simply call it by the name "Pietta 1851 Navy .44" and yes, the name itself is an oxymoron, but it's simply what the company calls it. I'm thinking that to avoid thread hijacking about anachronistic weapons we should start calling it "the not true to real life Pietta 1851 Navy that is in .44 rather than .36 like they were in real life."
Old October 15, 2009, 12:28 PM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
I'm thinking that to avoid thread hijacking about anachronistic weapons we should start calling it "the not true to real life Pietta 1851 Navy that is in .44 rather than .36 like they were in real life."
Works for me Except you left out the brass frame part.
Old October 15, 2009, 12:38 PM   #21
arcticap

And the poster zip was last active on thefiringline almost 10 years ago....

Quote:
Last Activity: November 17, 2000 03:09 AM

Last edited by arcticap; October 15, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old October 15, 2009, 12:49 PM   #22
Smokin_Gun

Nine years after and still it goes on ... HeeHee! :O)
Face it the 1851 Pietta brass or steel frame .44 is a real revolver ... has not been disproved to have ever existed as a prototype , experimental model, or an aftermarket modification... NO Records they burned ...
Anyway the South made Brass framed Revs and .44's along with .36 cal so without too much of a stretch of the imagination the Brass or Steel Navy in ..36 or .44 is a replica or call it an original :O)
I like the 1851 Colt Navy in .44 cause I like the Navy feel but I like a .44 boolit ...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old October 15, 2009, 12:51 PM   #23
Hawg

Quote:
And the poster zip was last active on thefiringline almost 10 years ago....
Man you caught that quick but at least you caught it.