The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 1, 2013, 05:54 PM   #26
SGHOTH

I think I would use a tactical wheelbarrow. Perhaps a raft would work also.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Winchester_73

Quote:
The phrase you quote has no prior origin to being uttered by Adolf Hitler as a campaign slogan and then being adopted by the Waffen SS.
But see that's just it, its just a phrase. In effect, you're saying its offensive to quote Hitler, or Nazi's in general. I find that to be a little petty. Many people don't know its association with the SS, esp if said in English, which is approximately: "My honor is my loyalty".

Quote:
Instead of jumping all over me and getting nasty, how about you think about the impact the use of a phrase that originated with Nazi Germany might have on people living today? Symbolism is strong and your opinion does not diminish the potential impact your utterances have on others.
Well I have a problem with people who look for reasons to be offended. No one was offended by what I said, and you saying "what if..." is a stretch. How inappropriate is what I said when you think about it? The phrase was about my dedication to my collection, as I was not referring to the Nazi's in anyway. Keep in mind, when you originally posted, you had no idea what I meant, and now you're attempting to claim you were being good natured instead of petty.

Quote:
It appears you have a bit of a temper and like to be controversial
Controversial? How about trying to say a simple phrase is only exclusive to the SS, and that its evil and should never be spoken? It was 70 years ago, and so people need to heal, but they can't when people keep saying "eww, that bothers me". This concept of "such and such motto, symbol, etc is offensive" is more detrimental than any such symbol alone could ever be. I didn't make a mean joke, I didn't discount the suffering and crimes, I don't support Nazi's and in exchange, I expect people to be fair about the subject. You were not. Unless you were there, you saying that it could bother someone is a major assumption, and its also inappropriate. You can't talk for someone that witnessed such atrocities. It doesn't matter that you talked to people who were there, you're not that person. The people who were there do not need you to talk for them.

Quote:
Incidentally, my knowledge of Nazi Germany stems from taking many history classes in Germany during high-school (Gymnasium in German), which dealt with that era of Germany in depth. I find it hard to believe that you have a better understanding of what this phrase evokes in others than those whose relatives were directly affected by that dark period in Germany's history.
Did you ever think how slanted your high school history class is? Well of course not, thats common sense! Who needs that. I learned about Nazi Germany AFTER high school. I've watched countless documentaries, I've read books, and I own many of the artifacts, such as guns, that you've read about. How can you think you should speak for those people? Are you crazy?

Quote:
This great country of which I am now a citizen unequivocally protects the right to free speech. It is a powerful right and before using it, I personally think we should think of what our utterances may evoke in others.
And this is exactly what makes this country great, and why its superior in philosophy to the European "let me enforce on what you what is best" BS. You misunderstood what I meant, and my context, and stated that maybe it should not have been said. Instead I've destroyed your argument of what if someone is bothered by this phrase, and so I should be allowed to say it, ESP because what you said is mostly hogwash. I believe you on one thing, there are a few people out there I'm sure that could be offended, and lets be real here, it is that person or group of persons who have the problem. Complaining about a 70 year old plus phrase, that has no direct correlation (it does not mention Nazi-ism, or any facet unique to it) and saying "hey, that's distasteful" is a very short sighted, ill-conceived idea esp when you can't even say that it bothers you, because you weren't even there yourself. And you of all people, German, you should be promoting the concept of moving away from the all of this absurd searching for reasons to be offended.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:01 PM   #28
LockedBreech

Huge Collections?

Ain't no freedom of speech here. We're in Rich's living room.
Old March 2, 2013, 02:45 AM   #29
PzGren

Quote:
This great country of which I am now a citizen unequivocally protects the right to free speech. It is a powerful right and before using it, I personally think we should think of what our utterances may evoke in others.
I was also born in Germany as a German citizen and when I came to the U.S. in 1984, I admired the tolerance of the American people, something that Germans definitely do not display - and you just kindly reminded me of it.

Have a nice day, too and enjoy the freedom of this great country and our fine forum here.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:31 AM   #30
lamarw

And now there is the fear of sink holes.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:21 PM   #31
P5 Guy

Quote:
And now there is the fear of sink holes.
The houses on both sides were ordered evacuated yesterday, this is the thing I was talking about.
How long were those families given to remove themselves? Or did they come home to find the house condemned and were not allowed to enter at all?
Old March 2, 2013, 06:12 PM   #32
P5 Guy

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/2...-very-unstable

Evacuated, I can't imagine what I'd do? Pull all my stuff out and stack it on the driveway?
Old March 3, 2013, 08:10 AM   #33
basilisk4

I liked the reply about taking care of the more important things and leaving his guns in the safe. On that note, it is one thing to have an insurance policy, but make sure that you are familiar with the policy's exclusions and limits. Most homeowners policies have specific limits for things like jewelry and handguns that are much lower than the overall liability limits, but you generally can pay an additional premium for higher limits on those categories of items. If not, you may need an additional policy of some sort.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:25 PM   #34
timn8er

If I can get closer to the topic; I don't have a huge collection, just seven semi autos & one wheel gun. No long guns as yet. I keep each of my guns in individual Boyt rugs, then inside a couple of range bags. Except, of course, for the nightstand gun & the CC gun. I don't have a safe, so I believe I would have to carry the two bags with me in an emergency. My ammo would have to stay behind, most likely.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:44 PM   #35
Gats Italian

I don't keep money tied up in guns just to look at them, shoot them once a year, or to have more than two copies of a particular example. That's the easiest way to deal with it.
Old March 3, 2013, 03:06 PM   #36
BigD_in_FL

I would grab the few that have family/sentimental value; insurance covers the rest - they are just "things" after all
Old March 3, 2013, 07:20 PM   #37
dakota.potts

I was born in St. Pete and now live in Saint Augustine. I have never been evacuated for a Hurricane. Over there on the inland near the Gulf of Mexico you're typically well protected from hurricanes. If not, I would think a safe bolted into a cement foundation or similar would be strong enough to resist. Or at least be easy to find afterwards :P
Old March 4, 2013, 10:15 AM   #38
Magnum Wheel Man

put in a walk in gun safe over the last year... I have, by what was listed above, a medium sized collection... much too many to pack up & move... I guess I'd have to lock the door, & hope the couple I didn't take with me ( permit to carry holder ) would be fine, until I returned
Old March 4, 2013, 10:37 AM   #39
Winchester_73

Quote:
put in a walk in gun safe over the last year... I have, by what was listed above, a medium sized collection... much too many to pack up & move...
So MWM, what will you do when you outgrow the vault? I'm still trying to out grow my safe myself. When I started out, I had all of my ammo, and all knives and bayonets in my safe. First, my knives and bayonets had to move out, then the all of the ammo had to move out. The latest thing to move out were my pistol racks, because I don't have the room now to have my pistols stand up in a neat row. Do you think you could eventually out grow the vault?
Old March 4, 2013, 10:42 AM   #40
Magnum Wheel Man

realistically I allowed some room for growth ( don't tell MRS )... but then I found out my storage systems held more than I thought... I won't have too much more room... at most, 15-20 long guns... handgun space, I'm maxed out, maybe 1 or 2...

after that I'll have to sell something to make room for something nicer, more desirable, etc...

or build an anex on to the vault
Old March 5, 2013, 12:03 AM   #41
22-rimfire

It is something I have considered. My area has exposure to tornados, potentially the effects of an earthquake, and nuclear radiation. Floods are not an issue unless it was Noah's flood. The primary danger is looting and fire following a natural disaster.

If I had to evacuate for an indefinite period of time, anything with a value under $300 would probably get left. The rest would be loaded up in a van or inside a trailer.

Rubbermaid tubs come in very handy and I keep a good supply of them available. Handguns would probably be layered between clothing inside the tubs or in hard cases. Most of the long guns would be in cases.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:42 AM   #42
Rainbow Demon

A lot to think about here, in my present state I've been considering options should I have to bug out. I've repaired a few flood damaged firearms in the past, including a couple of scopes that weren't nearly so water resistent as the owner had thought.

As for slogans.
John 12:26

Which may be the basis for such mottos or slogans.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs Police academy motto is "the Honor is to Serve", which Startrek the Next Generation picked up to use as a Klingon slogan.

The motto of this university
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...uW1WKvlfDagZVw
is "to be honorable is to serve".
Asked to translate either into German it would likely come out sounding exactly like the SS motto.
Old March 5, 2013, 04:55 PM   #43
psyfly

Indeed, something to think about. I've voluntarily evacuated a couple of homes in my time and it's sobering to think about both what you get to take with you and what you have to leave behind, perhaps not to see again.

My wife's been bugging me to sell off some of my unused collection and take her on a trip to Scotland.

Now may be a good time. I'll have to make a little list.

Reading through the above makes it obvious, I think, that I'd likely leave most of the guns behind and take more important things...

Will