The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 11, 2008, 06:21 PM   #51
BreacherUp!

Scattergun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattergun Bob
I was reading arrogance from another member, not you and returning same. """just being my normal butt head""""""""
Hope you're not referring to me. No arrogance was displayed or meant by me.
Old April 11, 2008, 07:16 PM   #52
Scattergun Bob

Breacher

Nope, this was the end of a conversation started on another thread. Being new to the internet forum media form I sometimes forget that the "world is watching" sorry, I will do better, enjoyed our conversation even though I got confused.

I really screwed up on the SWAT thread, I need to get smarter faster about how the game is played!!! I believe in what I said, just said it to the wrong group. A common joke afloat in country was that the average time to WIA for a door gunner was 2 days. Thank God they are only shooting electrons, Breacher, this FNG would have died in 2 hours.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old April 21, 2008, 11:59 PM   #53
tc556guy

Currently carrying, among other things, a Mossy 500.
Old April 22, 2008, 09:58 PM   #54
SamHouston

Take care & return safe

TCGuy, Take care of that gun & yourself. Thanks for what you're doing, we all here appreciate you.
Old April 22, 2008, 11:33 PM   #55
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
TCGuy, Take care of that gun & yourself. Thanks for what you're doing, we all here appreciate you.
Normally, I absolutely hate "+1's", but in this case.....

+1

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old April 23, 2008, 08:38 AM   #56
Desert01

The Combat Shotgun in the Infantry Brigade

Slightly edited from it's orginal form:

The Combat Shotgun in the Infantry Brigade

Army Qualification Standards (Modified)

Just about every thing you want to know about Mil use of the shotgun.

Primary Service shotgun is a 18 1/2" Mossberg 500 for the Army, and a 18 1/2" 590 for the USMC, both 5+1 with bead sights. MOST non-SOF 870's in service are pushing 30 years since they were procured. SOF has a mixture of 870's 500's, 590's and the 20" 590.

The Benelli M-4/M-1014 is also in service with the USMC in fairly small numbers. I believe the Air Force is using 870's as is the Coast Guard.
Old April 23, 2008, 09:13 AM   #57
CGSteve8718

About flechettes, like someone else said, I read they were experimented with very briefly in the 60s but proved not to be ineffective to the point of uselessness.

The other story was that they were so effective that they were considered "cruel, and unusual" if you will, and were not allowed to be used on other people.

Go figure right?

One of the earlier posters seemed to have done convoy security in Iraq and wished he had a few shotguns. That was what I did in Iraq as well, and we had a few shotguns. Somehow they were left over, and somehow, we got them. There were 2 Mossberg 500's and 1 Benelli M4. They made vehicle searches a little bit easier, but really, I felt we didn't really need them, because of our role. I wanted them to go to our PTT because it would serve them and their needs much better than ours. I spoke up, but I was only an E-4, an NCO by USMC standards, but still a peon in reality.

An interesting story from way back was about the infamous "trench gun" and the tactics employed with it. I'm not sure if this was WWI or WWII, but the Germans definitely feared this weapon. From what I read, it had the ability to "slam fire", and the tactic was to rush in the trench with a fire team all armed with trench guns lined up in a single row rapidly "slam firing" all their rounds and alternating with the next guy and so on right down the line. By the time the last guy expended his ammunition, the first guy would have been reloaded already and it starts again.

I don't know the veracity behind this, but it was an interesting read nonetheless. It's got to be true, because if it's from WWII or WWI, you just can't make that stuff up.
Old April 24, 2008, 10:03 PM   #58
Donovan655

Quote:
An interesting story from way back was about the infamous "trench gun" and the tactics employed with it. I'm not sure if this was WWI or WWII, but the Germans definitely feared this weapon.
They complained about it famously. They lobbied (the League of Nations?) to outlaw it as an instrument of warfare.
Old April 24, 2008, 10:10 PM   #59
Nev C

trench gun

Some info on the Winchester Trench Gun:
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_s...rench_Gun.html
Old April 26, 2008, 05:05 AM   #60
tc556guy

We had a few of those trench shotties in our arms room right up til a few years ago, along with some M14s from who-knows-where. One day they just shipped them off. I'd hate to think they got chopped up.
Old April 26, 2008, 01:40 PM   #61
Maximus856

Got to handle the Benelli super 90 yesterday at our armory. I never got to see one, but we have about 5 in our armory. Really liked how the stock collapsed. Being that I'm in a intel unit (real boring), I was told we use them for security pretty much..

-Max
Old April 26, 2008, 04:47 PM   #62
nemoaz

Quote:
They complained about it famously. They lobbied (the League of Nations?) to outlaw it as an instrument of warfare.
If I had to face an enemy at close range and had t he option of demanding he be armed with a bolt action rifle versus a shotgun, I would do the same thing!