The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 19, 2001, 09:18 PM   #1
Therapydude

First time at the range with the new Benelli

Well, I put the student loan payment on the back burner this month and finally broke down and bought that Super Black Eagle I've been drooling over (synthetic stock, 26" barrel). Anyway, I took it out to the gravel pit today for some informal trap shooting. I don't think words can express how impressed I was with this gun. It's balanced well and fits me much better than my old 870 Express I had been using. So far it appears to be living up to the "performance worth the price" slogan.
Also, with regard to disassembly, the hardest part for me has been the removal of the bolt handle from the bolt (which must be done prior to barrel removal). I've found that a pair of 7" Robogrip pliers from Sears work really well for said purpose. I also bought some rubber covers for the ends of the pliers that help keep the Benelli from getting scuffed.
I guess there really is no point to this post. I'm just fired up about my new Benelli and had to share it with someone. Thanks for listening!
Old July 19, 2001, 10:55 PM   #2
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Cool! Enjoy the heck out of it.

Now, to be a true Benelliphile, you need to learn the "secret trick" on how to load an extra round. Maybe the dealer showed you. You fill the mag, the slip one shell under the bolt into the carrier, then a round in the chamber.

The trick is the extra shell in the carrier. In most semiautos this would cause a jam of the worst kind. In a Benelli it's just another advantage. -- Kernel
Old July 20, 2001, 10:18 AM   #3
JB in SC

Welcome to the Club . I have the same problem (if you want to call it one) with my SBE. I just use parallel jawed pliers with a piece of thick leather to protect the bolt handle. I never had the problem with any others. Don't make the mistake of trying the new M1 20 gauge, it will make you giggle like a kid .
Old July 20, 2001, 07:19 PM   #4
Therapydude

Kernel,

I appreciate the tip on getting an extra round in the Benelli. I didn't know you could do that. Thanks.
Old July 24, 2001, 09:11 PM   #5
Drundel

I think they fixed that and you can't do that in the new ones. Is this one new this year? Check the rib, if it raises up after it starts pretty quick and if the safety button is VERY big then it is a 2001 model.

To me these new ones point like an O/U. I mean its unreal. I have a Nova that I can hit just about anything with and I am getting a 391 SC soon but the SBE is soon after that.

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00
Old July 26, 2001, 12:18 PM   #6
AMHsix

I had a bitch of a time trying to get the cocking handle out of the bolt the first time too.

I think I ended up getting fustrated and just yanking on it like a mad man. Well, it worked. Now I just grab it and yank hard. No pliers here.
Old July 30, 2001, 12:48 PM   #7
Kobra

Therapydude, I made a similar transition from identical guns - 870 to Ruger O/U to Benelli SBE. I still have all three by the way. Each has its uses. I too was amazed in SBE, incidentally mine is black synthetic with a 26" barrel too.

Kernel, Drundel is right - they fixed that. Mine won't do it because that is the first thing I tried (I bought mine used this year). I wonder if some parts can be swapped out to take care of the new ones.
Old July 30, 2001, 08:26 PM   #8
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Fixed it!? Fixed what? It wasn't broken. -- Kernel
Old July 31, 2001, 08:46 AM   #9
Kobra

Sorry.....bad terminology. I wasn't really happy when my "used" Benelli had it removed, but what could I do - the last time I loaded a gun in the gunstore they got a little bent out of shape (defective Remington). Ooops sorry.