The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Thunderkiss

Opportunity to buy used Krieghoff, need input

While at the skeet field yesterday, one of the gentleman that frequents a lot of the time I am there got to talking about reloading shells, shot size, and shot weight. The subject of U/O's came up and I told him I am really thinking about going ahead and buying a new Citori(havn't decided exactly which model Citori yet) for skeet. He asks what new Citori's are going for and I tell him $1500 to $2800 depending on model. He says he's got an O/U for sell and will make me a good deal on it. A 15 year old Krieghoff with barrel tubes in 20, 28, and 410. Gun has been rebuilt once by Krieghoff and he is the second owner. He's asking $3500 but will let me have it for $3000. He let me shoot the gun for a round, and it does handle nice.

I really like the Citori as they seem to fit me really well. This Krieghoff feels good as well and has some goodies with it.

Worth the extra cost of the Krieghoff or should I just stick with my plan on a Citori?

Thanks guys and gals.
Thunder
Old February 9, 2015, 10:12 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Yes it is worth the extra cost, buy it before he changes his mind!

In the pecking order of O/U shotguns the Krieghoff is purty much at the top of the pile, and the Brownings are some what below middle.

Yes there are better guns than K guns but not many.

Buy it NOW.
Old February 9, 2015, 10:25 AM   #3
eastbank

i have never owned one, but have shot a few(one with a release trigger) and at that price i think it would have came home with me. eastbank.
Old February 9, 2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Microgunner

I got excited for you at the thought of a three barrel Kreighoff set for only 3k.
Old February 9, 2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

It doesn't sound like a three barrel set but a carrier barrel with tubes for 3 gauges, but that is sweet. Some guys fall into it. Buy it and the next thing you know you will stumble across a 12 gauge barrel looking for a good home.
Old February 9, 2015, 12:55 PM   #6
BigJimP

I suspect you're talking about a gun with only one set of barrels....and then the tubes fit into that 12ga barrel. That is not optimal...it would be better to have a "carrier barrel" just for the tubes.../ the reason its not optimal is the 20ga with the tubes - will be about 10 oz heavier than the 12ga, etc....

But if its in decent condition ...its a fair price / I'm assuming its one of the older K-80's ...with a relatively plain looking stock / 12ga, 28" or maybe 30" barrels...

The Citori line of guns...if you want to look at a comparable model..you need to look at a Citori XS Skeet model ...and new in box, if you can still find one, is around $3,000 with the adj comb.

Worst case....if you need to send it to Krieghoff and have it checked, triggers reset, new springs, etc ...its about $ 350 with freight both ways - or depending on where you live, there may be someone in your area that is certified by Krieghoff for maintenance..
Old February 9, 2015, 06:53 PM   #7
FITASC

Those subgauge tubes are worth half the $3k alone - if it fits, grab it quick. Since he is at the same club, have him let you shoot it and see how works for you. If he has tubes, then he should also have a case for all - that's another $3-$500 value there, especially if it is an Americase.

Make sure he tells of any issues; I doubt he would lie as his rep would suffer.

Good luck.
Old February 10, 2015, 12:07 AM   #8
Thunderkiss

It's a 12 gauge with sub gauge barrel inserts to go to the other gauges. It had the 20 gauge inserts in it when I shot it. It has an adjustable cheek on the stock. It has a case with it. He told me the inserts where about $1800. He has offered advice before and is an extremely nice and helpful guy.

Last edited by Thunderkiss; February 10, 2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old February 10, 2015, 06:31 AM   #9
eastbank

sounds like a solid deal, if the condition is anyware near nice i would spring for it. eastbank.
Old February 10, 2015, 08:06 AM   #10
FITASC

I'd be all over that like white on rice. If you do not shoot the subgauges, you could sell the tubes. But if you are skeeter and do want to shoot the tubes, for the price of a 12 gauge Browning, you got a Kreighoff AND a full set of tubes. Unless the gun is broken, this is really a no brainer.
Old February 10, 2015, 08:38 AM   #11
jaguarxk120

The K80 I had handled came to my shoulder like it was made for me. Although right handed gun and I shoot left. The stock set is worth $2500 and every square inch of the metal was engraved, beauty of a gun.
I think I could have shot it right handed,

Buy that gun!!
Old February 10, 2015, 09:37 AM   #12
Thunderkiss

I'm right handed but shoot skeet left handed because of eye dominance. I got off this morning at 7am. I called the gentleman and I told him I was very interested in the gun but the price was a little out of my range, before I could finish he said "I tell you what, I'll let you use the gun for a month for free. If you decide you want it, give me $500 and pay me the rest when you can. Come by the range Saturday and we will shoot the Krieghoff, a few of my SKB's, and my Perazzi." How can I turn that down?

FITASC, its an Americase with the straps to hold the subgauge barrels. He has everything for it.

I don't know what I did to get this fella to like me, but I hope I rub everyone that way.
Old February 10, 2015, 10:25 AM   #13
FITASC

Once you try that K-80, the only other gun worth trying will be that Perazzi- IMO, still the king of clay games with more Olympic medals than all others combined. (And when I win the lottery, I'm getting one!)

The K-80 is a very good gun and if you can get it on a payment plan, even better!
Old February 10, 2015, 10:52 AM   #14
BigJimP

Its good to have friends like this fella.../ do something special for him, to pay him back a little ( make him something or whatever )....and pay it back down the road. Its a good buy !

As a footnote.....sub gague tubes are fit to a specific gun / you can't just sell them to someone else - and expect them to fit any other gun.
Old February 10, 2015, 11:53 AM   #15
FITASC

That would depend on the tubes BigJim - Briley sells both custom-fitted and a general fitting based on nominal bore diameter.

OP, if the seller hasn't done so already, you might want to get a clamp-on barrel weight equal to the weight of a set of tubes and use that when shooting 12 gauge only. That way the weight, balance and swing dynamics will be as close as you can get to having a carrier barrel and tubes. A friend does thos with his Kolar. In lieu of a carrier barrel, he places this weight right at the end of his forearm to mimic what the gun feels like when he shoots subgauge

http://www.briley.com/allmodels.aspx

the Kolar looks like this:

SORRY for the HUGE image
Old February 10, 2015, 12:31 PM   #16
JWT

Grab it while. It's available. K80 is a darn nice gun. Can't go wrong at that price.
Old February 10, 2015, 06:27 PM   #17
BigJimP

You're right FITASC, I stand corrected....

....but who would put generic tube sets into a K-80 vs having them fit..../ but I should have said its unlikely, the tubes will fit every gun....sorry.
Old February 10, 2015, 06:41 PM   #18
Dreaming100Straight

Do clamp on barrel weights mar the barrel's bluing?
Old February 10, 2015, 07:33 PM   #19
FITASC

No, they have something on the inside to prevent that
Old February 10, 2015, 08:58 PM   #20
Dreaming100Straight

I saw the liners but wondered if they worked
Old February 11, 2015, 12:34 AM   #21
Thunderkiss

I'll take a look at the tubes Saturday but he said the tubes are fixed skeet choke for all the subgauges.
Old February 11, 2015, 12:51 AM   #22
zippy13

Quote:
I saw the liners but wondered if they worked
100, Yep, they work fine unless you do something dumb -- like not removing grit from the barrel and/or the liner. I have a Koler that I've used for years. I changed the lining once and it was provided cost free from Koler.

Thunder, jump on the deal. If you select the Citori you'll probably soon have buyer's remorse.
Old February 11, 2015, 08:50 AM   #23
4V50 Gary
Staff

If I was a shotgunner, I'd buy it.
Old February 11, 2015, 11:58 AM   #24
BigJimP

You'll need to look at the Tubes...and see if they are Briley or Kolar...and then contact the company that made them ..and see if they can retrofit the tubes for changeable screw in choke tubes. It may or may not be worth it...depending on what it costs...to turn the gun into a gun you could then shoot 5 Stand and Sporting Clays with...for the sub gagues / but I presume the 12ga barrel has changeable screw in chokes / so presumably you could buy additional chokes for the 12ga - and use it for 5 Stand and Sporting....but if its an older gun, maybe the previous owner ordered it as a fixed choke gun...

Briley and Kolar both ...can do most anything you would want done ....including making a carrier barrel for the receiver / its just a matter of how deep your checkbook is....

Things to look at ...
Old February 12, 2015, 01:00 AM   #25
Thunderkiss

BigJim, I don't need the subgauges set up for changeable chokes. I don't shoot sporting clays but I'm sure I could find a gun I have that would work. They are Briely inserts by the way.