The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2000, 11:41 PM   #1
oktagon

I just bought one NIB for $550. It has 18" barrel and pistol grip.
Here are my questions:
1. The gun has what looks like a cylinder choke, is this the way all of them come?
2. Where do I get the extension tube for the magazine so that it holds full 7 rounds instead of 5?
3. How brutal is this shotgun with 3" Mag slugs?
What is the general opinion about these shotguns?
Old December 6, 2000, 06:00 AM   #2
E__WOK

1. I don't know.

2. Your shotgun is most likely post-ban so in order to install the 7 round tube, you must switch to a non pistol grip stock.

3. I shot a few rounds of 3" 00 buck and didn't like the recoil.

Old December 6, 2000, 09:58 AM   #3
jthuang

Not all of them come with cylinder bore -- some come with interchangeable choke tube capability.

Having interchangeable chokes is not a must, but it really helps if you want to buy a Patternmaster choke tube to improve your buckshot patterns. Vang Comping a Benelli is a very expensive process (you must get a custom barrel from GG&G and then send the barrel to VC for the work -- overall cost is comparable to a new shotgun).

That's a dang good price, BTW. I paid $689 for my post-ban M1S90 Tactical (NIB, ghost rings, 3 choke tubes, 18.5" barrel, standard stock, factory 7 shot mag) and I thought I got a good deal but yours takes the cake.

Justin
Old December 6, 2000, 10:02 AM   #4
CMOS

1) No. Generally the M1S90's come with a barrel that has choke tubes. Probably why you got it for such a low price.

2)Try CDNN Investments ( I stongly recommeend you remove the PG regardless of the magazine capacity. IMHO, it's much faster to bring up to the ready position without the PG - and - having 8 rounds in a shotgun is very nice!

3) Very. I added a Pachmyre Decellerator pad to my Benelli so I can now shoot 200+ rounds in one session with no "after effdects". The M1 is such a light shotgun that recoil is significant. The pad basically eliminated that issue for me.

The Benelli shotguns are considered to be one, if not THE best on the market. There's good reason whay people are falling over themselves to pay $800 for these.

Oh, 3 more suggestions - practice practice practice.

CMOS
Old December 6, 2000, 06:10 PM   #5
jfrancis

That is an excellent price. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat for that.

I second jthuang's recommendation of a Patternmaster choke. It will really improve the shot pattern.

The M1 will be fairly brutal with 3" mag slugs. I use Remington or Federal reduced recoil slugs and find these very comfortable.

Even without the mag extension you have a 7-round shotgun (five in the tube, one on the carrier and one in the chamber). That's a lot of firepower. Of course, if you really want (or need) the extra 2 rounds you have to lose the PG. The extensions often appear on Auction Arms.

John
Old December 6, 2000, 07:43 PM   #6
hksigwalther

"That is an excellent price. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat for that. "

Same here!

I'm somewhat embarrassed to ask this in all the years I've collected and shot Benellis but...how do you get one round on the carrier (with one chambered) and have a full magful?
Old December 6, 2000, 08:42 PM   #7
Icopy

I must be doing something wrong. But when I shoot magnum loads through my fM1S90 with the pistol grip stock, the stock smacks me in the cheek. I don't really care, because as soon as the M4 hits the streets, the M1S90 is going bye-bye.
Old December 6, 2000, 10:00 PM   #8
Dorcas

The Shell Carrier Trick

Quote:
how do you get one round on the carrier (with one chambered) and have a full magful?
1. load the magazine full
2. pull back the charging handle
3. place a shell in the chamber by hand
4. place a shell on the carrier
5. push down on the shell carrier as you slowly release the charing handle. The carrier will go down just before the extractor grips the shell on the carrier and causes a doublefeed.

Hope this helps...

bkm...
Old December 7, 2000, 07:00 PM   #9
hksigwalther

DANG! ALL THESE YEARS SHOOTING S90s AND I COULDN"T FIGURE IT OUT!

THANKS! Dorcas.

I tell ya. TFL is a goldmine.