The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 3, 2000, 05:10 PM   #1
The Lost Yooper

Last year, I foolishly sold my 870 thinking I would replace it immediately with a 1187 or 1100, but never did. Being a Yooper in Michigan, I am told that one must undergo a background check to purchase a new gun. To be honest, I don't really have a problem with the background checks if they would destroy all the info you gave them (assuming you're "clean"). If they are keeping the info, you are basically registering the gun. Maybe they do destroy the info, but I don't know, and frankly, I doubt it. This would be my first brand new gun purchase - if I decide to buy new.
So here's my questions. Is this background check for new guns (in this case, shotguns) required for all states? Can I order an 870 from another state and have it sent to me? What about used shotguns purchased via an in-state or out-of-state gun shop?

Thanks,

The Lost Yooper
Old December 3, 2000, 06:01 PM   #2
Monkeyleg

Here in Wisconsin (not far from Yooper territory) handgun purchases go through the state's system, since it was set up before the Brady Law went into effect. Rifles and shotguns go through the FBI check, which is "supposed" to be instant, but usually is not. I would guess that in Michigan you're going to be looking at an FBI check and another notation in your FBI file.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old December 3, 2000, 09:25 PM   #3
The Lost Yooper

Is this mandatory, so-called "instant" background check on all new guns the result or part of the Brady Bill? I thought the Brady Bill was a handgun bill only, but I have no idea at all.

The Lost Yooper
Old December 4, 2000, 05:06 PM   #4
Monkeyleg

Hi again, Yooper. If I recall correctly, the long gun check system went into effect when the computerized check system was implemented in November of 1998. I don't remember if it was a delayed portion of the original Brady bill, if it was an add-on, or if it was an edict from His Billness. But it's there, and not likely to go away. The waiting period for handguns is still 72 hours (unless pre-empted by state law), and the long gun check is supposed to be instant. But there's plenty of used 870's out there, and probably some that are like new. Why get into the "system" if you don't have to?

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old December 4, 2000, 05:16 PM   #5
The Lost Yooper

It looks like a used 870 is the way to go. Heck, the things will last forever if reasonably taken care of. We are fortunate here in Michigan as far as handguns go. You can buy one and recieve it in the same day. There's a lot to be said about being "in the system". I dare say that every hunter who has purchased a hunting license is "in the system" some how. We're all registered as gun owners in some fashion or another.

Take care,

The Lost Yooper