The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2008, 11:59 PM   #1
oneshotkill

30-06 Reloading Questions

I have a few quick reloading questions;

1. I have just about everything I need but I still have not decided on a powder. I am looking at using Hodgden Varget with 165 grain Hornady SST's. I can not find a maximum load for this combination. Can anyone give me a maximum load?

2. Do you have to tumble your brass before you reload because I do not have the money for a tumbler but I do have just about everything else that I need.
Old April 8, 2008, 12:35 AM   #2
HOGGHEAD

30-06

Get a little steel wool, and some brass polish. That will do just fine.

I just started using H-414 last year. Good accuracy, and I picked up 100 fps. Tom.
Old April 8, 2008, 05:12 AM   #3
tuck2

The Hodgdons 2008 Annual Manual shows start at 47.0 Gr -- end at 50.5 Gr MAX for Varget Powder with a 165 Gr Sierra SP BT bullet. The 50.5 Gr of powder my be to hot for your rifle.. 0000 steel wool works fine for cleaning off the necks of cases.
Old April 8, 2008, 09:43 AM   #4
The Lovemaster

I'm using Varget in an -06 right now, IIRC my Hornady manual says it's the accurate one for them. I sort of neglected to sort my cases by headstamp, so at this point I don't know if it's that, my seating depth or my barrel, but so far it's not been terribly accurate at 100 yds. I have to play around with it some more.

I do like the Hodgdon powders, though, I think they're a good product. Recently I requested their free manual, and they sent it to me in a hand-addressed envelope. Call me silly, but I like that kind of personal service.

Scott
Old April 8, 2008, 09:46 AM   #5
sundog

Keep an open mind about your components. You have apparently selected what appears to be some that should work, but they may not be the best in your rifle. After you get started you may want to try a few different combinations. Also, once you get comfortable, run your charge up and down a little to see if you get better accuracy. Max, flat out speed does not always give you best accuracy.
Old April 8, 2008, 10:10 AM   #6
ryalred

I started out using steel wool to clean my cases. I was using the Lee case trimming system with a hand drill and while the case was still in the drill chuck I'd hold the steel wool around the case and spin the case with the drill and it did a good job.
Old April 8, 2008, 01:20 PM   #7
UniversalFrost

First, go to the IMR site and you can enter the reloading center from there. They have good load data for the Hodgen, IMR and Winchester powders (they are all owned by the same company).

The load data is good, but conservative compared to some of the older Lyman and speer manuals.

I personally prefer IMR 4895 in my 30/06 with just about every bullet combo in all my guns, but VARGET also is a great powder and many use this as their main powder in most rifle calibers.

I went with IMR 4895 because it was designed specifically for 30/06 and is available just about everywhere I go to get supplies, where as varget and some of the other I have to order. Also the price is a little cheaper on IMR 4895 and can buy in bulk quantities where I shop.

You should really go out and get a 1/2 lb or 1 lb of several and try them out to see which work better in your rifle with the brass/primer/bullet combos you choose.

Also, a Frankford Arsenal tumbler is around 30 bucks at midwayusa.com and works wonders. Or you can just clean the brass with a shop rag to get off the crud from the range and then again after you have resized them to remove the lube.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old April 8, 2008, 07:08 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always gotten good accuracy and good hunting performance with 3031, 4064 and Sierra bullets.

I tried some H414 with Sierra 180-grain SPBTs and got the tightest three-shot group ever: 0.4 MOA. Through the decades, I've reliably gotten around 3/4 MOA, three-shot or five-shot...
Old April 8, 2008, 07:13 PM   #9
W. C. Quantrill

I use IMR 4350 and H4350 because I get better accuracy, better performance and less perceived recoil.
Old April 9, 2008, 10:29 PM   #10
crowbeaner

Try 52.5 of WW 760, WW brass, and CCI 200s. I haven't found an '06 yet that wouldn't give decent accuracy with it. WW data says it is 48000 cup.
Old April 10, 2008, 10:17 PM   #11
amamnn

Sierra lists the same load data for the 165 and 168 grain bullets. They like 760 as the preferred accuracy powder. I've used Varget, RE-15, RE-19 IMR 4064 and H4350 and finally had to agree with Sierra when shooting 168 gr. MKs and also with Berger 168s.
Old April 10, 2008, 11:36 PM   #12
FishinggodBilly

I can tell you what works best in my rifle but you should do your own research. Every gun is different so go with the books oal (over all length) and not mine. Here is what works for my old 30-06. Im pretty new on this site and at first I was wondering why no one would answer my questions. Now I understand no one wants to give out information that could hurt another person.
165 gr sst bullet
43 gr varget
WLR primer
3.290 OAL
or
53 gr H4350
Old April 13, 2008, 12:35 PM   #13
FishinggodBilly

47gr varget was too much in my 03-a3. It is starting to flatten my primers. I just loaded some with 46gr and worked my way all the way down to 42gr. Hope this helps