The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2007, 09:02 AM   #1
ShootingNut

Powder Disk need customizing

My Lee Pro Auto Powder setup, was driving me nuts. Loading .40SW with
180gr LTCFP, on Accurate #5 with the receipe calling for 5.6 start to 6.0 max loads. The Lee disk, using the .37 would always throw a 5.4 quite often, and the .40 would always throw a 6.2 often. Finally got fed up, and found that a
1/4" twist drill was sloppy in the .40 hole, and didn't go into the .37 hole.
So, I drilled out the .37 getting a nice smoot cut. Now, I consistently get
5.6 to 5.8 grain loads using the customized .37 hole. Weigh my loads every
15 or so to be sure powder drops stay accurate. Before I had to weigh each one, and dump back into the hopper the majority. Has this speeded up my process. Have the Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret, but prefer to go without the Index rod, maybe now with the .40s powder problem solved, I'll try the index rod again. Although, as others I always had problems with the turret hitting perfect stop points. Full strokes, nice rythum (I think), oiled the turret, still not consistent enough In my opinion.
Old June 17, 2007, 01:32 PM   #2
CrustyFN

I have heard of a couple of people now that have had problems with the dies not stopping where they are supposed to. I don't know what would cause that, my classic has never been off. I have found the Auto Charge Bar to work very well for the in between loads as long as you don't try to throw something to light.
Rusty
Old June 17, 2007, 01:39 PM   #3
TEDDY

Crusty:they just don't know how to work the Lee.
Old June 17, 2007, 09:24 PM   #4
swmike

I've always found Lee Disc's to be "too large" or "too small" for the charges I want. I have a collection of discs from over the years. I too take a drill and make a custom cavity for my desired charge. I then mark the cavity with powder type and charge weight. In order to get consistency from the first charge, I also take a regular #2 lead pencil to the inside of the cavity in the disc. Smear the pencil lead over the entire inner surface to prevent any "static cling" of the powder.

Since I load thousands of the same caliber, bullet weight, and powder charge, I care about the other discs in the "set".

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".