The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 24, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1
Death from Afar

Vang Comp- AWESOME- must read.

Lads, I put a Vang barrel on my 870 after a mate returned from Gunsite and brought me one. I took it out for a night shoot, shooting rabbits. As you know, we do tend to blast a few rabbits in these parts and short barrel , pump action, large magazine "hoses of death" are your usual choice. I wanted a Vang for a tighter pattern, and reduced recoil it offers.

Anyway, the gun had problems. I wont say what they were, as I do not want you to think Vang makes junk. I was very disappointed, and emailed saying what had happened. Within 12 hours I had a reply, which is pretty good consideringI live in New Zealand ( Anyone see Anthony Bourdain in New Zealand on the discovery channel? Those are my mates he went pig hunting with! Anyway..) I was suggested a few fixes, which I experimented with and didnt get any joy. I emailed the results of those tests, and Vang emailed back saying I am getting a new barrel sent out, cost free, no question.

This is awesome customer service from a great firm that deserves your support.

The barrels are awesome by the way for what they are designed to do. You should get one.
Old January 24, 2007, 01:54 AM   #2
mpage

My turn around time was incredibly fast and Hans Vang was very personable on the phone.

I did notice, however that the barrel I got back was not the barrel I sent out; there was brazing where that ring holds the magazine tube, and I think also on the sight. I've since heard that it's difficult to drill those ports without something going wrong, so sometimes they give you a new barrel.

Was recoil significantly reduced? Were you able to observe any patterns?
Old June 1, 2007, 02:31 PM   #3
CCMO

...and he was never heard from again?

Old June 28, 2007, 03:47 PM   #4
workinwifdakids

Vang

Hans lives down the street from my brother, and cares deeply about his customers. You can bet he'll do what he says he'll do, or he'll make it right.
Old June 28, 2007, 06:43 PM   #5
ws6_keith

My Vang Comp Mossy 590A1 has been flawless since day 1. I bought it right from Hans, so it was one they did before I ever got it. Definitely shot the tighest pattern of any 12ga on the range at my FrontSight shotty class.
Old June 30, 2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Death from Afar

Good to see other customers have had the same experince. Odd the gentleman had a different barrel sent back- maybe they busted your original?