The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 3, 2014, 01:27 PM   #26
Unlicensed Dremel

Got a friend you can borrow a rig for the kid from?

At least Remington looks like a saint with recalls compared to Government Motors shenanigans.
Old August 31, 2014, 02:04 PM   #27
zach_

Kbilta, any progress on your rifle? I put a new trigger on 1 of my 900's. I am thinking of sending the other in for the repair. I really don't mind the x-mark trigger. The one I replaced pulled at just over 4 pounds. The one I have not replaced feels about the same as best I remember. I have not shot the rifle after I found out about the recall. I hope that they will catch up at some point and have a shorter turn around time.
Old August 31, 2014, 11:16 PM   #28
kbuilta

Zach - no motion from Remington yet. Rifle still in their hands and their work order lookup system just says "received" or something uninformative like that. I check regularly but I've stopped holding my breath. I'll be sure to post here when there is activity so we can get and end-to-end on how long it took.
Old September 3, 2014, 09:30 AM   #29
Vividia

I just picked up a 700 that is subject to the recall and the previous owner had not yet complied. I am dropping in the Timney, and sending Remington the trigger only. That way, I can shoot the gun now, and if I ever sell it, I can put the old trigger back in and keep the Timney for the next 700....just an idea.
Old September 16, 2014, 01:50 PM   #30
kbuilta

FWIW - checked the Remington online Repair Progress Tracking site yesterday and the message is now different. Instead of "yeah, we got it" (well, not word for word), it's now "Repairman is in the process of servicing the firearm/part".

Right on time. Their quoted 12 weeks elapses on Friday. Of course, not counting the almost 12 weeks from the time I registered until they said they received it. Will update the whole bloody timeline when I have it back in my hands.

If I wasn't putting kids through college and I didn't have other interesting things to shoot, I would have replaced the trigger. Looking forward to getting my "new" rifle!
Old September 16, 2014, 02:15 PM   #31
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just about any bolt action rifle can have the same problem as the Remington 700, either through wear or by being tampered with. Probably the largest number of such rifles are Mausers in which "trigger work" was done by someone who did not know what was involved. Of course, suing the current Mauser company for what was done by someone unknown, to a rifle made by another company in another country during wartime 70 years or more ago just might be tough.

Jim
Old September 24, 2014, 08:43 AM   #32
kbuilta

UPDATE:
Movement on the Recall Front! My Rem 700 has been shipped back to me and is due to arrive tomorrow via UPS. So now, in case anyone is even remotely interested in this still, and for the cause of completeness, the total timeline is (assuming UPS actually delivers tomorrow):

....Date.............Elapsed Time
4/11/2014......0 days = 0 weeks: They announced it
4/13/2014......2 days = 0.3 weeks: I registered online
6/4/2014......54 days = 7.7 weeks: They emailed box label pdf files and opened a ticket #
6/11/2014....61 days = 8.7 weeks: Boxes arrived at home
6/12/2014....62 days = 8.9 weeks: Box was given to UPS with rifle inside and shipped to Remington
6/17/2014....67 days = 9.6 weeks: Tracking said the rifle was delivered to Remington
6/27/2014....77 days = 11.0 weeks: Remington officially "received" it and issued a Repair number.
9/15/2014..157 days = 22.4 weeks: Began Actual Repair
9/23/2014..165 days = 23.6 weeks: Completed Repair and Shipped
9/25/2014..167 days = 23.9 weeks: Delivered (expected)

So...their 12 week repair took almost exactly twice that because it took them almost 12 weeks to "receive" it after it had arrived. Well, whatever...

Sadly, when I open the box tomorrow, it's not like it's going to be any different than when I boxed it up almost 6 months ago. At least I should be able to get to the range with it before it snows and sight in the scope again (after I re-mount it, etc...).

Oh, forgot to add one detail: I found out it was shipping back because I have a MyUPS account that notifies me when a package is coming. No email from Remington. Later I logged into their Online Repair tracking site and saw the message there but they didn't actively notify me. Not good since the delivery requires Adult Signature so I had to make sure my wife is going to be home tomorrow afternoon to receive it - and not good just on principle, it's not like they don't have my email address!

Last edited by kbuilta; September 24, 2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Oops, left out about no email from Remington
Old September 24, 2014, 09:47 PM   #33
zach_

Thanks for the update. I hope this works out for you.
Old September 24, 2014, 10:03 PM   #34
jimbob86

I've been running Remingtons with the Walker trigger ..... for decades ..... it's like any other piece of equipment: take care if it and it will work, neglect it, and it will fail.

Keep them clean. If your idea of cleaning a gun is to hose them down with WD-40 or 3in1 oil ..... yeah, they might not work as intended.....