The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Any experience of .308 with these powders?

These are all recommended by Lapua for their 155gr Scenar bullet on the following page.

N140, N150, N530, N540 and N550.

The N5-- series options seem to develop serious velocity in .308 in a test barrel 2" shorter than my own (N550: 2900fps to my N135's 2640fps). N140 has also been listed with several accuracy loads for different .30 cal bullets and is right up there with Varget on the burn chart.

I am presently using N135 and i has already allowed me to shoot better than I could have with factory loads, but I was probably going to move on the N140 when I run out, but those thumping N550 values got my attention: it would keep that bullet supersonic for that bit longer.

So, has anyone used any of them?
Old March 30, 2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Metal god

Yes I do/have

The N540 is/was one of my most accurate powders for the 190gr smk i've tried . The load that shot best was very low at 38.5gr , 190gr smk @ 2340fps but crazy accurate with 9 - NINE !!! different rifles and 3 different shooters . all sub moa and better then half of those were sub 1/2 moa . I should add when I was loading those I was very new to reloadsing and I'd bet I could find another node with more velocity and good accuracy .

The N550 was OK with heavier bullets but I have a hunting load that my Ruger American likes . 46.5gr N550 with 150gr sierra spitzer BT and FB @2600fps from a 22" barrel shooting right around moa

I no longer have any of those powders and don't plan on getting any more . Only because of the price . I have found other powders that are as good as the N550 but nothing yet as good as the N540 with the 190smk . That's not an issue though because I have no real plans to shoot 190gr bullets much .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .