The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 15, 2005, 09:36 PM   #1
csavchick

late 1700s era rifling, accurate reproduction

I am looking for a flintlock Kentucky Rifle (preferably to build from a kit such as the one made by Traditions, for example). I'd like .50 caliber just for the fun of shooting a larger caliber than .45, but I also want an accurate recreation of something that may have been used by a militia member during the American Revolutionary War. It will be displayed as a little "corner of history" in my family room with a copy of the Declaration of Independence and other such historical items, but I will also shoot it for fun. It seems from my own "layman's research" that the kits I have found make too short a rifle (overall length 50" or so), and I have found rifling of 1 in 48" or 1 in 66". I understand that the longrifles carried by Daniel Morgan's men, for example, were five or six feet long overall. Have you seen anything like that currently available? Also, which would be a more historically accurate rate of twist? Is the difference in accuracy between those two something significant? Lastly, bear in mind that I have never dealth with any black powder firearms before and I have never built any firearm. I have my share of experience with the "modern stuff" but the historical firearms are a new interest. Thanks for any input or direction!! I guess I'm trying to find a balance between historical accuracy and something fun to shoot. I am most gratified by precision shooting, not speed.

Chris
Old May 16, 2005, 12:21 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Rifles of that period would have rates of twist anywhere from 1 in 50 to 1 in 80, depending on the caliber.

The 1 in 66 will stabilize any roundball well.
Old May 16, 2005, 08:28 AM   #3
Jim Watson

A quick look at Dixie Gun Works shows a Pedersoli .50 flintlock with 41" barrel 56" overall and 48" twist in kit form. That is kind of a compromise rifling twist but will shoot a patched ball accurately.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...415271c14c5f5c

Tennessee Valley might produce a kit you would like but I don't see a www for them. Worth a call or letter to:
Tennessee Valley Mfg./Jack Garner,
P.O. Box 1175, Corinth, MS 38834;
(601) 286-5014
Old May 18, 2005, 03:19 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Spreading the appeal for information

csavchick, Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research is indeed a great place to seek vintage firearms information. I think I'll also copy your initial post over to the Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting forum and see if we can draw you some additional information there. Be sure to check that forum from time to time.

NOTE: It is usually discouraged to duplicate posts in the various forums (fora??) but I'm using moderator discretion here, to assist in this particular quest for knowledge.

Best,
Johnny
Old May 18, 2005, 05:28 PM   #5
taralon

Depending on how much you want to spend on a rifle check out:

www.trackofthewolf.com

They've got modern mass reproductions to one off hand built replicas and actual vintage firearms to choose from. Spend enough time at the site and you can find some real deals. I highly recommend them, have purchased one firearm from them and perused another that I returned for nothing more than the price of shipping. Prompt fast service, and they have yet to overstate the condition of a firearm IMHO.

www.cabelas.com

Also has a good selection of blackpowder firearms (go to hunting then blackpowder). If you are looking strictly for a 1700s style arm, then you'll want to pick up a flintlock, and most of those in the styles of the 1700s (pennsylvania long rifle etc) use pinned barrels which make cleaning something of a pain in the arse.
Old May 18, 2005, 06:00 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Yep, trackofthewolf is about the best in terms of parts and their website have several well made replicas. Most of the current guns are a composite of features and unless based on a historical gun, don't really protray a Revolutionary War era firearm. They were heavier (thicker at the wrist) than the Golden Age gun, had fewer inlays (if any), some relief carving (depending on the user's purse). Colonial Williamsburg has some authentic pieces that are well worth seeing.

If you want accurate (in terms of appearance to a Rev. War gun), stay away from any mass produced gun including Perdesoli. You have to go with the individual builder.

Also check out The Muzzle Loading Forum.
Old May 19, 2005, 07:37 AM   #7
csavchick

Go to a custom builder? Yeah, I was afraid of that... ($$cha-ching!) and I was beginning to see it. Looks like Track of the Wolf has some good stuff that would be reasonably close and affordable. I guess I've got some thinkin' to do. I've found americanlongrifles.com (be sure to include the "s") has what appears to be some good book references. Maybe I'll just buy any old cheap flintlock kit (maybe a pistol?) to satisfy my shooting urge for now and make the historical longrifle a long term goal with authentic appearance and function the sole priority. Yeah, that sounds like a plan! earlyrusticarms.com looks like it might be a good place to go for that, but I can only assume he has his history right until I research it more for myself. Any other suggestions for a custom builder? My price range would be something under $1000 (I hope!). I also have a neighbor with some great woodworking skills and equipment. I know he would be interested in shaping the wood from a blank but he's never done that before, just professional-quality furniture, picture frames, etc. Perhaps the two of us could do one cheaper on our own after some study? Wow, that's kind of scary. Allright, I'm starting to ramble.. sorry.

Thanks to everyone, especially Johnny Guest for copying this topic!
Old May 19, 2005, 07:48 AM   #8
taralon

I noticed you were willing to do the build yourself. Track has several 'kits' in their kit section that will allow you to build the gun the way you want it. Wood style, barrel length, inlay or no inlay, a variety of choices in triggerguard styles etc. I'd suggest that if you go this route you also take advantage of their gunsmithing services and have them install the breechplug and machine the dovetails for the sights.

Finding a 'typical' longrifle of the 1700s is about like trying to find the 'typical' concealed carry handgun. Everyone had something different. Each rifle was unique to a builder and often the builders were the rifle users.
Old May 19, 2005, 09:00 AM   #9
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

You're more than welcome.

Old May 24, 2005, 06:43 PM   #10
Story

Hi,
Check out this website - they're the home of the Boonesboro militia.
http://frontierfolk.net/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
Old May 26, 2005, 11:11 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks Story. That's also a good site and I post there every now & then too.