The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2014, 10:48 PM   #1
603Country

9x18 Makarov - reload info?

A buddy was showing me a small semi-auto that his father left him. Made in Germany, but was in the 9x18 Makarov caliber. He has problems finding ammo for it (what a surprise). I don't suppose I can reload that caliber using regular 9mm dies? He's got a ton of brass.

Nice looking pistol. He didn't know where his dad got it.
Old October 9, 2014, 11:29 PM   #2
zxcvbob

You might could reload it with .38 S&W dies. But the right thing is to buy a set of 9mm Mak dies. Lee dies are not that expensive.
Old October 10, 2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Ifishsum

9x19 brass can be expanded and trimmed to 18mm - but you will need the correct dies as the Mak is actually a little fatter both in the case and bullet diameter. The Mak uses .364/.365 dia (I cast my own at .365); 9x19 uses .355/.356.

It is worth the effort IMO...the 9x18 ammo I've made has been significantly more accurate than the typical Bear/Tula fodder. Initial trimming of the cases is the most time consuming; I use the Lee cutter with the lock stud chucked in a cordless drill.
Old October 10, 2014, 05:45 AM   #4
res45

Ifishsum pretty much nailed it. I started loading for my PA-63 in 9 x 18 Mak. several years ago. I make all my own brass from once fired 9 mm brass and trim it to length using my Lyman lathe trimmer with a power assist shaft and cordless drill.

This was a common practice many years ago when the guns were popular but reloadable brass and components were not. I forget which but one of the Speer reloading manuals recommended the process.

I use a RCBS die set which at the time cost what the Lee dies do today,both are still available for purchase. Most all the major bullet mfg. still make component jacketed bullets for the 9 x 18 Mak. and a couple like Missouri and Meister make cast lead bullets for the Mak. I shot plenty of the Meister bullets before I started casting my own using my Lee mold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yrmgh3SToE
Old October 10, 2014, 11:13 AM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
A buddy was showing me a small semi-auto that his father left him. Made in Germany, but was in the 9x18 Makarov caliber. He has problems finding ammo for it (what a surprise). I don't suppose I can reload that caliber using regular 9mm dies? He's got a ton of brass.
Germany, it's probably an East German Makarov. Those are supposed to be the best of the various Makarovs. Tell him he should take care of that, and appreciate it.

9x18 Makarov can not be loaded using 9mm Luger dies. Get a 9mm Makarov die set. Lee makes a set, I'm not sure who else.

Once fired 9mm Luger brass can be used, but only if it's trimmed back 1mm. It's a total hand numbing PITA to do up a bunch with a hand powered trimmer, but it does work.

9mm Luger or .380 bullets can not be used, as 9x18 Mak are slightly larger in diameter. Lee has a mold for casting. I'm not sure who has pre-made bullets for that size.

Load data, check the usual sources.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 10, 2014, 11:40 AM   #6
TATER

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/480...ProductFinding
Old October 10, 2014, 03:28 PM   #7
DarthNul

I load 9x18 for a FEG PA-63 and a CZ-82. Berry's makes reasonably priced copper plated bullets for Makarov.

Hornady XTPs cost a little more but are quite accurate. You may have to load them to a somewhat shorter OAL to fit into magazines that are rounded off at the front.

Hard cast lead bullets are available from multiple sources.
Old October 10, 2014, 09:41 PM   #8
603Country

Thanks much. I guess it is probably East German, and it's really well made. Real slick looking, with great metal finish and bluing. Just for info, it has a decocker safety. I have much std 9mm brass, just in case. If any trimming has to happen, it's HIS pistol. Anyway, he said he had some brass. The bullet is a hardball type, and is 93 grains. I didn't check to see if it was Berdan primed.

Again...thanks.
Old October 11, 2014, 10:19 AM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
I didn't check to see if it was Berdan primed.
If it's your typical imported steel case crap stuff, it almost certainly is.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 12, 2014, 07:50 AM   #10
PA-Joe

There is planty of 9x18 ammo out there but most are via mailorder.
Old October 12, 2014, 12:31 PM   #11
AirPirate

PA-Joe is correct. Classic and AIM are good companies that usually have Mak ammo for around $11-13 per 50. It has been easy enough to find, that I no longer reload it. Plus, I don't feel bad about leaving shortened Luger brass for others to pick up and mistakenly try to reload with Luger. No problem if you are able to pick up your own brass, but you should mark it as Mak. Also, post a clear pic, and we can help with identification. East German Maks are becoming decent collectibles. It's a fun, accurate, gun.
Old October 12, 2014, 04:52 PM   #12
603Country

The buddy lives in Houston, which is 150 miles away. I didn't think to take a picture. I'll tell him that the Mak might be worth some money, but since he got it from his Dad I doubt he'd consider selling it.

And, truth be told, I'd rather he bought ammo than get me to load for him. I don't often load for others (just my Dad and my Brother). And if it's Berdan primed, no way I'm gonna mess with it.

I wish I'd have taken a closer look to see if the pistol had a model number.
Old October 12, 2014, 05:31 PM   #13
AirPirate

Not Berdan, but you're on the right track regarding loading for others☺
Old October 12, 2014, 06:41 PM   #14
MarkGlazer

The Makarov is a superb gun, very accurate, very easy to maintain and equally as easy to load. As stated by others, dies are unique so you can't use a 9mm set. The Maks' bullet diameter is different from the 9mm and if you do try you'll pay an ugly price trying to seat a bullet.

With regards to cases, this is the most frustrating piece of business, keeping track of them on the range and keeping enough on hand. I suggest that you mark your cases; color coding with a sharpie, something, try anything. I don't know if dying a case is possible, but if so, give that a try. They are a precious commodity.

Starline sells new brass. There are not many used brass vendors. http://www.kensbrass.com/ this guy has Mak brass listed on his site, none available now but it wouldn't hurt to contact him and see when he might be getting more. Else, you are left to cutting brass down.

Good luck. Enjoy the gun.

Be safe.
Old November 26, 2014, 07:48 PM   #15
fshfindr

I reload for my Mak with lee dies.
Old November 29, 2014, 07:21 PM   #16
crowbeaner

Makarov

I'm an old diehard reloader. I couldn't find Mak brass anywhere at one time so I made some from milspec 9x19 brass. I trimmed it down with my Lyman trimmer and drill. Beats hand trimming! IIRC I loaded it with 3.2 grains of Titegroup and the Lee bullet sized .365". I had Buckshot make me a custom sizer die. I got a nice used set of RCBS dies for $25 and went to the Dillon.
Old November 29, 2014, 09:17 PM   #17
tobnpr

If you trim 9x19 brass, and shoot someplace like a public range with 9mm lugers likely nearby (and when aren't they?) better figure a way to mark your brass.

I would be as much concerned about picking up 9x19, as I would be about leaving 9x18 behind with an incorrect headstamp and having it be picked up and reloaded by someone else, or the range owners as 9x19.

I bought a set of dies, but ended up selling my CZ-82 before reloading for it. I had already decided though, that I was going to buy 9x18 brass. Starline is usually available and reasonable- and it has the correct headstamp to avoid confusion.
www.biggorillagunworks.com