The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
EricBella

Lee Classic Turret (4 hole)

OK, so since im new to all this, and bugging you with all my questions in what order do you set your dies up in? First, would be your full length sizer, with the decapper in it. Second, the collet neck sizer? with the decapper out of it? Third, the powder (I have a powder index) then lastly seat the bullet? any advice would help. thanks.
Old March 6, 2012, 03:59 PM   #2
markr

You have things mixed up a little bit. You should re-read your manual a couple times. (No sarcasm intended). You didn't specify what you are loading for, but it sounds like a bottle necked rifle caliber. You don't use both sizing dies, it either/or depending on what you are doing. If you are loading new brass, or once fired brass from another rifle, you must use the full length re sizer. Once you have fired the brass from the intended rifle, you will have fire formed brass, THEN you can revert to the neck sizer and prolong case life, BUT, those loads can only be used in the rifle the brass was fire formed in. Since you have four stations, you may want to consider adding a crimp die. Depending on the caliber, crimping may be required, such as 30/30 or any other tubular fed rifle. Your die sequence should be as follows: Size, powder charge, seat, crimp. Hope that helps.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 6, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
EricBella

yeah its for 30-30. I have a crimp die. so if its fired brass id use the full length resizer, and if its new brass i just use the neck sizer, correct? and then the crimp would be last.
Old March 6, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
ScottRiqui

Other way around - if it's fired brass, **and it was fired in the same gun you'll be using it in next time**, then you only need to neck-size, since the rest of the case will already be fire-formed to your gun's chamber. If it's unfired brass (or fired in a different gun), then full-length size it. Markr had it right - you may have just mis-read his post.

1) Size/decap/prime
2) Charge
3) Seat Bullet
4) Crimp
Old March 6, 2012, 08:25 PM   #5
benzuncle

Congratulations on a fine choice for reloading. You Tube has videos on how to set up a LEE Classic Turret Press. I load 4 calibers on mine. I watched a You Tube video around Christmas time to figure out how to set up 38special dies to load 357magnum. LEE products are great; their instruction are not.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:02 PM   #6
markr

Yeah, I didn't mention de-cap and prime during sizing since you can choose to do it seperately. Since the 30/30 is a meat-on-the-table gun, and you won't be taking it to Camp Perry, you could probably leave the full length sizing die in your press and just run with that. Just make sure to use a lube like Hornady One Shot that won't gum up the rest of the process on your press. 30/30 isn't aa very high pressure load, so you won't really be working the brass as much as other bottle necked cartridges, to worry about neck sizing and case life. You *must* crimp 30/30.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 6, 2012, 10:48 PM   #7
scsov509

Quote:
so if its fired brass id use the full length resizer, and if its new brass i just use the neck sizer, correct?
If your 30/30 is a lever gun then you'll want to full length size every time to ensure the rounds feed correctly. Fire-forming cases to the chamber and then neck sizing is best suited for bolt rifles and not lever actions, pump actions, or semi-autos.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8
EricBella

OK, I understand this now. Makes sense. Thanks guys!
Old March 7, 2012, 10:36 AM   #9
praetorian97

My .02

Don't forget there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I de-prime Pistol/Rifle on a single stage and then Sonic Clean so I don't have a de-priming die.

When it comes to Rifle I lube and resize on a single stage because I have to trim it all. Then I start with my turret.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:29 AM   #10
markr

SCSOV505, your right about full length sizing to ensure the round cycles in a lever action. I just wonder why they sell neck sizing dies for the 30/30? The primary benefit to neck sizing IS in bolt guns.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 7, 2012, 11:53 AM   #11
totaldla

Read the instructions.
Old March 7, 2012, 01:08 PM   #12
BigPapa4147

30-30 neck sizing die

In the past, a few companies have made bolt-action rifles chambered in 30-30Win. Theres also the TC single shots. In those you could use neck sizing.