The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 25, 1999, 10:24 PM   #1
Mike Root

Friends, I just got my money back from a publishing company I believe in AZ for a book on fixing the problems with the Century Arms 308 MAS 49/56. Mine doesn't like to eject the spent shell, I've cleaned and polished to no avail and this with factory ammo. I love the way it shoots it just sticks on about every 5 or 6 rounds. Does anyone have a copy of this book by DB Cooper. Or have other advise . Happy Happy
Mike
Old December 25, 1999, 10:34 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mike, there are a couple of things you can do. The simplest is to clip a coil or two off of the recoil spring. The length of these springs vary from rifle to rifle. There is no reason that I can see for this, it's just that way. I have taken shorter ones out of one rifle and put them into a rifle that had a longer one and they work fine. You could also open up the gas tube a little to allow more gas through the system. The following I haven't tried yet but will this week. Remove the gas adjuster completely and tap the hole 5/16x24. Get two set screws. Install them to meet in the middle and by loosening one and tightening the other you can adjust the gas flow. George
Old December 27, 1999, 05:16 PM   #3
Mike Root

George, Thanks for the quick comeback. I'll try the fix tonight and shoot it again on Wednesday. Mike