The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2014, 02:53 AM   #1
Drm50

30/30 Experiment

I have 16" barrel Marlin 336 carbine, 30/30 cal. Have been loading 110 gr. Speer
Hp. at approx. 2700fps, shot 3" at 100yds/ 3x scope. Tried other lite bullets, no
better accuracy was found.
Then I decided to try a pointed Hp. 130 gr Speer, 35.5 gr Win 748, Win LRP at
approx. 2650 fps. Benched at 60yds was getting 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" groups with
Lyman 66 recieiver site. Not extremely hot load.

----NOTE !!!-- POINTED BULLETS CAN NOT BE LOADED IT TUBULAR MAGAZINES
Old November 15, 2014, 03:45 AM   #2
hartcreek

So dont load them into tubular magazines load it to the chamber. I have been loading spitzers for 25-35 and .32 Winchester Special for deckades for that first shot.
Old November 15, 2014, 04:25 AM   #3
Blindstitch

Some people get really cranky about the Tubular Magazine and pointed bullets fact.

I have been loading Speer 150 grain boattails in my 30-30 winchester 94 just fine. It just turns into a single shot which is fine. I was given 3 boxes of the boattails and I couldn't turn down free.

I was given 200 of a different type and they enter the rifling so they're a no go. But anyway who can pass up 500 projectiles for free. I'll just load them up in the 30-40 krag.
Old November 15, 2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Salmoneye

Quote:
It just turns into a single shot which is fine.
It turns the tubular mag'ed lever into a two shot...One in the mag is fine...
...Only issue is if your gun will not cycle the round from the mag...

I load the Hornady 180gr SSSP in my .35 Remington just fine as a two-fer...

If you are really worried, you can easily 'plug' the mag just like a shotgun...
Old November 15, 2014, 11:57 AM   #5
totaldla

Give Speer a look

Speer makes 130, 150 & 170gr Flat Points which are still very pointy. So the BC is higher than the old round nose fodder.
Old November 15, 2014, 12:29 PM   #6
Clark

Quote:
Blindstitch
Some people get really cranky about the Tubular Magazine and pointed bullets fact.
Thanks for posting that.
In a sea of fear and ignorance, you have posted a single fact.
Hopefully more factual data about pointed bullets in tubes will appear on the internet.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 15, 2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Bart B.

A Remington field rep mentioned some years ago to me that the reason they cautioned people about using their bronze point bullets in tubular magazines was as follows. They have no control how soft the primer cups are people seat into cases they're loading. Then, the front one in the tube may have its primer bumped by the bronze point bullet tip on the round behind it several times; once for each round past the one behind it being fired . While it typically takes about 1/50th inch or more of a dent in the primer to fire it, the recoil forces of several shots causing the front one's primer to be hit as many times then coupled with how the rifle's bumped around in handling, there was a chance the primer might detonate. Small chance, but nevertheless possible in the extreme conditions contributing to it. So, that was Remington's reasoning at the time.

He also said there were more Remington rifles (and their users) damaged by handloads with way too much peak pressure than all other reasons combined.
Old November 15, 2014, 02:02 PM   #8
jmr40

It doesn't need to be a single shot, if can be a 2 shooter with 1 in the mag. But to be honest, the 30-30 just doesn't benefit enough from pointed bullets to justify the trouble. Pointed bullets start helping things beyond 300 yards, not many shoot 30-30's that far anyway.

If you look at the pointed rubber tipped bullets from Hornady, and give them a realistic comparison with a round nose bullet fired at the same speed, and with the same zero, the pointed bullets drop is less than 2" different at 300 yards.
Old November 15, 2014, 05:49 PM   #9
pathdoc

IMO the OP was correct to post the warning inasmuch as it is industry standard. We can go on about it as much as we want, but given the disclaimer this board insists on for overloads, this one's a fair call.
Old November 17, 2014, 09:58 PM   #10
Snyper

Quote:
IMO the OP was correct to post the warning inasmuch as it is industry standard. We can go on about it as much as we want, but given the disclaimer this board insists on for overloads, this one's a fair call.
I agree.

Many here have heard it a million times, while we have others asking things like:

"Can I shoot 708's in my 308?"

ALL warnings need to be repeated to make things as clear as possible
Old November 18, 2014, 03:46 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"....POINTED BULLETS CAN NOT BE LOADED IN TUBULAR MAGAZINES..." Yes, they can, it's just not safe. And Speer 110 HPs aren't pointy. Been using 'em for eons in their correct .30 Carbine cartridge. Kind of surprised they held together at that velocity. Snicker.
Have a look at the Sierra 125 HP/FN Prohunter. Or, like jmr40 says, use the thing as a two shooter.
Old November 24, 2014, 08:24 PM   #12
Drm50

30 cal pistol bullets

Anybody tried 32acp, 30 Mauser or the Sierra bullets for T/C in 30/30? I've got
A Rem 14 carbine and Rem 141 in 35 Rem, both have tang sites. I've tried 357
pistol bullets from 110jhp to 158gr. At short range they don't do bad. 110s make
mess out of groundhog at 50-60yds. Just fooling around, got rack full of nice old
hunting rifles that don't get used much anymore. Loading up some lite bullets
and shooting varments is go way to get some shooting in with these old timers.
I have found IMR 4064 is good powder for this kind of tinkering.