The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 16, 2012, 03:01 AM   #1
Twigs199

IL Second amendment... were going to need a lot of help.

"Sigh" I live in Springfield, IL and of course is the only state that does not honor some kind of CCW law. We recently posted in Forbes magazine that were the 3rd most violent city in U.S and still nothing. My wife is 6 months prego with our son and second to be born and she is out delivering medication (mainly pain killer and narcotics for chemo patients, high end medication) with minimal protection. Most of the deliveries she delivers to are low income patients considering "in the hood" and by law not allowed to carry any protection. She has had to call me a few times as far as suspicious people approaching her and one vehicle approaching her. she carries mace with her but would love to take a self defense and arms class with me however it seems the state of IL forbids anything as far as arms defense. WTH would we as a state have to do as far as jump on board with the rest of the 49 states and carry conceal? I thought it was our right as a second amendment but I guess not. wth?
Old January 16, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Davey

Illinoiscarry.com/forum

http://igold.isra.org/
Old January 16, 2012, 11:52 AM   #3
C0untZer0

When you have time, read the Illinois constitution...

It references ideas from the 1st, 4th, and 5th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, but there is nary a mention of the Right to Bear Arms.

Not that the absense in the Illinois Constitution trumps the U.S. Constitution, I'm just saying it gives you an idea...
Old January 16, 2012, 12:05 PM   #4
C0untZer0

I think Davey meant to post this as links:

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/forum/

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

The bill that would give Illinois citizens the right to carry is HB 148.

The Family and Personal Protection Act.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/full...Sess=&Session=

From what I can tell, we are kind of in a holding pattern right now. The last time it was brought up for a vote it was a few votes short of being both veto proof and having the force to over-ride home rule provisions of municipalities like Chicago and Oak Park that would have local ordinances banning carry.

Possibly part of the reason for it losing momentum is that politicians may be waiting for the outcome of two important lawsuits challenging Illinois Unlawful Use of Weapon (UUW) law - where the ban on carrying is codified.

The two court cases are Morre v Madigan and Shepard v. Madigan

If anything happens Al Norris will probably update it here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451189

or here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416973

Or in both places.

If you want to check daily on Judge Sue Myerscough, the judge presiding over the Moore v Madigan case, you can check here:

http://www.ilcd.uscourts.gov/ordersopinions.htm

You have to scroll down until you find her name.

Old January 16, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5
C0untZer0

I would like to see the NRA focus it's attention on Illinois now that we are the last state ban carry, but in some ways other states - like NJ and parts of CA are worse for prospective gun owners. I think it's even easier and less expensive now to get a gun "permit" in Chicago than it is in NYC.

Another thing you can do is lookup your legislators http://www.elections.il.gov/District...ByAddress.aspx

And you can write to them, when NB 148 comes up for a vote again, and even post comments about them on govote.com

Here's an example for Lou Lang

http://www.govote.com/elected-offici...inois/lou-lang
Old January 16, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
C0untZer0

I read a rumor today that we may see an opinion on Shepard v Madigan from Judge William Stiehl before we see an opinion from Judge Sue Mysercough on Moore v Madigan.
Old January 16, 2012, 01:20 PM   #7
geetarman

I lived a long time in Illinois. I left in 1989. I will NEVER live there again.

Arizona is MUCH more gun friendly.

Geetarman
Old January 16, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Erikbal

So you can't get a conceal carry permit anywhere in IL? That is unreal. I though Hawaii was also another no carry state as well?
Old January 16, 2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Davey

There is a RKBA provision in our supposed constitution.
Old January 16, 2012, 08:37 PM   #10
langenc

Twigs199-what would your elected state reps/senators or whatever you have saw about your posting?? Send it to them and ask what they would do if this was their wife doiung what yours is doing..

CountZerO- maybe the NRA could help. How many IL NRA members are there?? Maybe the IL shooters should concentrate on getting rid of the 'problems' in the legislature. Educate family, friends, neighbors and all you know about the problems.
Old January 16, 2012, 09:10 PM   #11
C0untZer0

I just found it in the 1970 constitution - section 22:

SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the
individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed.

It's weird that the Illinois Constitution of 1870 doesn't have it but the Illinois Constitution of 1970 does...

Yay 1970 !

Although I'm not sure what "subject to police power can be construed as".

Last edited by C0untZer0; January 16, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old January 17, 2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Davey

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post

CountZerO- maybe the NRA could help. How many IL NRA members are there?? Maybe the IL shooters should concentrate on getting rid of the 'problems' in the legislature. Educate family, friends, neighbors and all you know about the problems.

We already have two court cases waiting for rulings along with our current carry bill on stand by.

Right now it's just a waiting game to see which of the three happens first.
Old January 18, 2012, 11:08 PM   #13
C0untZer0

Twigs another thing you can do is join us in Springfield for IGOLD - Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day for 2012

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

http://igold.isra.org/

Old January 19, 2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
. . . .Although I'm not sure what "subject to police power can be construed as".
The "police power" is a very broad term and refers to the authority and power of the government, generally, to take measures to protect the health, safety, and welfare of its citizens.
Old January 19, 2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Twigs199

Wed. March 7th, sounds good. This will be interesting. Kinda of excited now. Thanks!
Old January 19, 2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Twigs199

Langenc

I know two of them personal and its all just a finger pointing game here. No one really cares. The patients that she delivers to are on some kind of disability with fix income. Meaning (not saying all) live in a hard times neighborhood that might be a bit questionable. Her car has been marked as the "Drug deliverer" meaning you brake into her car you'd might get some nice treats. Now if Brinks can come in my store armed for carrying minimal cash in a hand bag, whats the difference between a pregnant woman carrying a bag of cash/checks along with $17k bottle of xxxxxdone in a rough neighborhood. She has had to phone me a few times at work and i HATE getting those calls "Jay just stay on the phone with me for a few minutes, I am walking up to so and so's house and being stared at" o and this phone call, "Come get me I am in the bank on the corner of 5th, someone just started punching the trunk of my car" Those calls **** me off. We have had to have the police involved in 2 incidents and that's 2 close for comfort. Now I am not saying a CCW would fix all this but it would be nice to be able to have some personal back up just in case someone pulls something other than a fist on her. now as far as legislative goes, heh they wouldn't be caught dead driving there nice black lincolin SUV's on those sides of town, not even for campaigning. AND if by some chance there absolutely had to be you always see a cop in the background, now is having a body guard kind of the same a CC? I mean you have them for the same reason you have a CCW permit. So I think in the state of IL if they want to keep it "so safe" anyone who wants to CCW permit (and of course the state wont let them), should be issued a body guard paid for by the state. Thats IT! no, you cant have a gun but here is your body guard, now your SAFE!
Old February 3, 2012, 09:28 AM   #17
C0untZer0

BTW Twigs199, one of the things that IllinoisCarry does is that they daily monitor the Illinois General Assembly Bills and Resolutions for new bills, and they are looking for volunteers:

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index...howtopic=28743

It's one of the reasons we were alerted so quickly to the recent trio of bills in Illinois introduced by Edward Acevedo.