The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2008, 07:15 PM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

lt dan, I hate to tell you, but garden spiders like that are all around my wife's house with amazing regularity. That's in south Georgia; her "micro-empire".

My own micro-empire is out in the desert in SW Texas. (Second marriage deal.) Out there, we have tarantulas, brown furry spiders that grow up to maybe five or six inches across.

Fortunately, neither variety is agressive, although tarantulas can jump like crazy. Four or five feet, I've seen.

In the fall of the year, tarantulas will migrate to some winter hidey-hole. Some areas, you'll see thousands for a few days. South central Texas is one such area, around Gonzales...
Old March 19, 2008, 03:58 PM   #27
lt dan

art, i have learned my lesson. i will stick to what i hunt.( i thought critters ment creapy crawleys). i have shot another jackal today, that makes 5 in 2 weeks. i have photos and will post them. i have also shot a warthog, but still need to find it. i shot it 25 min before last light. it fell 3 times before disapearing into the bush. so tomorrow it is back to that point. i again saw the bat eared foxes. this time during the day time.the thing about this is that it is due to hunters that the foxes problem came to light, and it is due to plans set in motion by jackal hunters that their numbers are increasing. i have a photo of one of them running away - not to good but i will post it anyway.allso a photo of the jackal.you will see the massive damage. this is due to the fact that a 300wm(180grn) and a .308(168grn) hit it at the same time. pushed it back about 2.5yards and tore off one hind leg.
Old March 19, 2008, 05:35 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You have higher population densities there than we do here, seems like. But, for me out in the desert, about everything is low-density except insects. The bug'n'bunny PhDs say that in terms of pounds per acre, the insect life outweighs mammalian life in the Chihuahuan Desert. Fortunately, we're low in mosquitoes...
Old March 27, 2008, 04:34 AM   #29
wpcexpert

Looks like home

That spider looks like the same ole Bannana spiders I'd cuss everyday in the swamps of SC. Big spiders, and very sticky, thick webs.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 3, 2008, 01:23 PM   #30
lt dan

sorry for the delay in reply,i have been on a hunting trip and there was no internet. among the things shot was a puff-adder. this is the biggest one i have evr seen or heard about. i have a photo on my phone i will try to post it via bluetooth(never done this before). this snake is responsible for the most deaths in africa.it has the very nasty habit of not moving away when people/animals come closer. due to this the natives see this snake as the snake talked about in the bible and therefore see it as their duty to kill it.i have no problem about this view.