The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 31, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
bamaranger

despised AK accruacy-brief account

Well, rained out here today for bow hunting, so decided to to an impromptu AK accuracy test. The variant in question is the despised MISR, Maddi (Egyptian) receiver and a cobbled together set of Chinese parts. I've put after market stock set, trigger group and slant brake on it to make it parts count compliant.

One of the probs I have with the AK is the miserable sights. I'm at that point age wise where the short radius and slim post up front give me fits. So a couple of years ago I put on a set of E.German night sights. A plastic cap covers the front post, about 6mm in dia, and the rear blade gets a snap on leaf with a similar white dot beneath a very large U cutout. I zeroed the rifle at 25 yds easy enough, and but have not shot it any further out.

Liked it so much I shot the rifle at a simple outlaw 3 gun match the local club had, targets were large and close and we did fine. Today I put out a 16" white paper disk at a lasered 107 yds. Shot 3 rds supported off an oak tree, a pretty good example of a field expedient rest. It was raining, wind gusting 15-20 mph, old man eyes, aside from the gimmie target, a tough set of field conditions.

Was tickled to find a 6.5 " group, two pretty well centered, the third low left.
I have no doubt that off bags, or with an optic, I could halve that. Not bad for the gun culture's most despised AK
Old October 31, 2013, 03:46 PM   #2
bamaranger

Oops

Shoulda put this on the SA forum, sorry guys.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
AK103K

Other than US assembled kit guns, Ive always had good luck with my AK's accuracy wise. If they wont shoot 3-4" at 100 yards using their iron sights and ammo they like, then something is wrong.

I have two AK's with Aimpoints mounted on Ultimak rails, and they keep right up with my AR's running the same sight with no troubles. If your eyes are giving you fits, a good red dot on an Ultimak will make your day.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:11 PM   #4
spacecoast

Here's what mine will do at 100 yards with Tula ammo and iron sights -

Old October 31, 2013, 06:25 PM   #5
TXAZ

+1 spacecoast & bamaranger &spot on AK103

The Misr (which is "Egypt" in Arabic ) Maadi is one of the more heralded AKs.
It's made for a center of mass kill on a man sized target at 100 meters, and appears to generally do so. You can still buy a select fire Maadi in very good shape in numerous African countries for less than a cheap semi here. Import into the US might be an issue...

I'd think changing ammo might tighten the group.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 1, 2013, 09:01 PM   #6
bamaranger

parts

Well, this is not a complete Maadi, this is a parts rifle cobbled by Century, as stated, with Norinco parts and Maadi receiver. In my ignorance, I thought when I bought it that in fact it was a complete Maadi. Live and learn. These cobbled rifles are bottom feeders in the AK circles.

No matter. The fact that it is not anything special lends itself to shooting and working the snot out of the rifle. It runs...as one would expect. My accuracy point is that despite its mutt roots, it will give minute of irritant accuracy out to say maybe 200 yds. I'm actually pleased with a hasty 6.5" group, in a storm, propped off a leaner from a tree. Three pretty quick presses, about what you'd do for a coyote running across the hay field, and they were pretty much where you want them.

I mentioned optics, but actually have held off acquiring some type of rail and glass as it sort of seems counter culture...nothing to baby on this AK.

My ammo in this little experiment was Tula FMJ. I've kept the target, and will remount it and wang off other rounds from other positions and report back.

Sorry about wrong forum.
Old November 3, 2013, 02:49 AM   #7
Been there

Valmet-Hunter-2.jpg

Most accurate AK47 based rifle
Old November 3, 2013, 12:58 PM   #8
chris in va

I made the mistake of using my Saiga 'conversion' at an Appleseed meet. Lets just leave it at that.
Old November 3, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Erno86

"Good enough for government work."

--- George Orwell