The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 19, 2012, 06:07 PM   #1
dsa1115

10 Dead, 39 Wounded This Weekend In Chicago

Can you tell the strictest gun control laws in the country are working?

http://www.suntimes.com/11400560-417...y-weekend.html
Old March 19, 2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Japle

Quote:
“The violence this past weekend is unacceptable to me and every law-abiding Chicago resident,” Emanuel said. “ Our streets belong to the families and children of our city; not to the gangs and gangbangers".
I'd say he's wrong about that last part.
Old March 19, 2012, 08:04 PM   #3
kraigwy

I just read the comments on that article, man that place sure has some "touchy-feely" people.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 19, 2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Oh, so that's what they mean by the "Chicago way!" I always wondered about that.
Old March 19, 2012, 08:40 PM   #5
SecurityMike

This has everything to do with the weather. Usually it doesn't start until May, that's why they are freaking out. Good to see those Chicago firearms licenses work so well
Old March 19, 2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Stricter gun controls have never been proven to reduce violence. We all know this.

Anyone veers into generic bashing on Chicago, its citizens, or its politicians, and this one gets closed.
Old March 19, 2012, 10:40 PM   #7
kraigwy

I don't know the lay out of the areas discussed, but seems to me the old "beat cop" program would work in the area. Not so much for the hard core gang members but for the future members.

Like the old days where the cop was assigned to walk a beat, and often spent his whole career on the same beat. He watched the kids grow up, any slight indication of getting out of line the cop would send them home with a good wack across the butt with a night stick.

Kids were more scared of the cop then the gang member recruters.

I think going back to Peel/O.W. Wilson type of policeing would work against gangs, and least cut down on the prospect of new recruits.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 19, 2012, 11:07 PM   #8
jibberjabber

Chicago is a wonderful place with very intelligent politicians.
Old March 19, 2012, 11:47 PM   #9
C0untZer0

The new Police Superintendant is re-vamping the community policing concept.

Community residents complain about a "siege mentality", I hope the new community policing efforts work but I don't have a lot of hope for it.

One of the basic problems is that when someone commits a crime, that criminal has a gradmother, mother, several sisters, brother, cousins, aunts and uncles in the community and those people don't cooperate with police.

There's always a lot of sympathy in the community for their children and relatives that are committing crimes.

The community policing policy means police have to be in the community, but Chicago police are not. They're in their sqaud cars rushing from one serious crime to another - that's all they do, they rush around responding to really serious crime. The only way they will be able to do community policing is to hire more officers.

Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden is on the record saying that their plans aren't going to work. He's characterized the CPD as being in a manpower crisis. The department loses 50 officers a month to attrition, the city doesn't hire to replace them, leaving police short-handed on the street.

Camden has said “Their strategy is a total failure,”

As far as gun control... it's a lose lose situation no matter what. Rahm Emanual will say that the deaths are proof that lax gun laws in neighboring states are killing inner city youths. If just one gun shows up as being stolen from somewhere else in Illinois Emanual will renew his call for registration, and assault weapon ban in Illinois as well as a tax on ammo. He'll also say that Chicago's crime problems can't be solved in a vacuum, that lax gun laws elsewhere are fueling Chicago's violence. The new Police Superintendant Garry McCarthy said as much already.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:36 AM   #10
jimbob86

This:
Quote:
One of the basic problems is that when someone commits a crime, that criminal has a gradmother, mother, several sisters, brother, cousins, aunts and uncles in the community and those people don't cooperate with police.
...is a result of this:

Quote:
The community policing policy means police have to be in the community, but Chicago police are not. They're in their sqaud cars rushing from one serious crime to another - that's all they do, they rush around responding to really serious crime. The only way they will be able to do community policing is to hire more officers.
..... and the fact that Chicago Gun Laws fly in the face of Sir Robert Peel's Principals of Modern Policing...... The very idea that the only ones that have guns are cops and robbers leaves the folks in middle to have to choose sides, and the cops are of a "If you are not one of us....." mindset...... what is a guy to do?

As for hiring more officers: they can't afford to, as they are already bankrupted paying the pensions of Officers that retired at 45 or 50 and are living to be 80... they are drawing more money in pension than they made, let alone paid in pension contributions......I see only one orderly soution to this financial disaster (which is common throughout the Public Sector professions in big cities across the US) either the pension fund goes broke and is bailed out by the Feds with printed money (hyper inflation), or the Feds foment hyper inflation first..... either way, the retirees on fixed incomes get hosed........ I foresee the whole rotten system collapsing .... think Detroit, only worse, and faster.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:18 AM   #11
SecurityMike

I worked in district 8 in Chicago and the police were always 5-6 calls deep at any given moment. And I've never seen a cop try so hard to talk people out of pressing charges for felonies. I had a 400 dollar retail theft out of a fire exit one time and the officer told me that in order to get felony charges I would have to drive to the police station and call the states attorny myself. They need to lose these old timers and get some young agressive guys on the street. God knows the gangs aren't lacking in agressiveness.
"We have repeatedly held that one who is unlawfully assaulted and put in apparent danger of his life or of great bodily harm need not attempt to escape but may repel force with force..." PEOPLE v. BUSH
414 Ill. 441 (1953)
Supreme Court of Illinois.
Old March 20, 2012, 09:16 AM   #12
oneounceload

Quote:
He'll also say that Chicago's crime problems can't be solved in a vacuum, that lax gun laws elsewhere are fueling Chicago's violence. The new Police Superintendant Garry McCarthy said as much already.
Of course, it has nothing to do with the entitlement programs, lack of education, hope and prosperity, or the revolving jail cells that keep releasing the hardened criminals back on the street or the entire demise of cohesive family units - all their issues are only caused by guns....

that and the lack of the Cubs to win a World Series
Old March 20, 2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Mike38

Kraigwy, the old beat cop idea might work, but instead of carrying a .38 Special revolver, the cop would need a M9 and an M4. Even then, the odds would be against the cop.
Old March 20, 2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer

Policing policy and societal issues in Chicago are not a L and CR issue.

So if you don't have anything that is L and CR, this thread will die.
Old March 20, 2012, 11:34 AM   #15
ltc444

Intervene with the younger members. Pull a Daley on the "hardcore leaders". If you don't remember, Mayor Dailey ordered a Raid on the Black Panthers back in the late 60s early 70s. The entire leadership of the Black Panthers were killed.

I do not advocate this type action but more and more I am coming to believe that this is the only solution to such organizations as MS13, the Mexican Mafia and some of the other really violent groups.
Old March 20, 2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

...and we're down to discussing extralegal punishments, based on historical inaccuracies. This one's done.
Closed Thread