The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 20, 2009, 10:59 AM   #1
win-lose

What's the shortest time you have owned a particular gun?

For me, it was 2 stinking days. I needed a good woods gun, but came home with 2" 9mm sp101. Understand, sp101's are my favorite snubbie, so when I saw it I thought, WOW I've never come across one of these... it would be a really cool addition to my 357 and 22LR sp101s. I took it to the range... It shot great, but I realized a few things.... 1) I don't like moon clips and 2) the 9mm revolver was an answer to a problem I didn't have. So, at a loss, it became trading fodder for a good woods gun (a 4" .44mag redhawk).
Old August 20, 2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

I had a S&W M&P .40 for about three weeks. I thought it looked cool, felt great in my hand, blah blah blah.

after shooting 500 rounds through it I couldn't get over how much better the Glock's trigger is than the M&P... I gave the M&P to my mom for her birthday.

IF they ever take the suck out of the trigger, I may get another.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

8 months and counting. I don't generally get rid of them.
Old August 20, 2009, 11:50 AM   #4
45Gunner

Tomorrow...when I pick up my latest purchase that is being shipped to my favorite FFL.
NRA Life Member
Old August 20, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Borch

Three hours. I bought a Hi Power clone at a gun show took it immediately to the range and discovered I really didn't like the feel of it, something about the width of the grip and the trigger reach that seemed fine at the show but did not agree with me when shooting it. So I took it over to my uncle's house to see if he would be interested, as he is always looking for guns. Ended up trading the Hi Power clone for an S&W 3913 that I own to this day. And he still has the clone so I guess it worked out well for both of us.
Old August 20, 2009, 12:02 PM   #6
TABING

Location: White Mountains, AZ & Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Have a Jennings for a couple of hours.
Old August 20, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
snail

I would say that 90% of the guns I have bought I owned less than a month. I always seem to find a different gun that I want more than the one I have.
Old August 20, 2009, 12:24 PM   #8
mavracer

I brokered a three way deal at a gunshow last year.Guy had a Charles Daly 1911 I wanted but he didn't want the Muzzleloader I had to trade.so I traded the muzzle loader for a mini14 and walked right back and traded the mini for the 1911.So about 10min tops
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 20, 2009, 12:40 PM   #9
flight954

Seecamp .32auto Never could get it to perform so I took it as a loss and used it for trading fodder as well
Old August 20, 2009, 12:44 PM   #10
SilentHitz

Hi-Point...bought it cheap cause a friend needed cash...gave it away...POS stamped parts are crap.
Edit: forgot time frame...2 days

http://k5fv.com/

Last edited by SilentHitz; August 20, 2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: forgot time
Old August 20, 2009, 01:03 PM   #11
publius

Remington SP-10. about 2 months. Took it duck hunting once and it was heavy. I probably would have kept it but I needed money. Swapped it even on a Colt AR and sold it at a profit.
Old August 20, 2009, 01:08 PM   #12
NGIB

Had a Glock 19 for 3 hours and traded it for a Kahr .45 I think...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old August 20, 2009, 01:09 PM   #13
hornady

Two weeks two guns. I picked up a Stevens double barrel at a gun show for $75.00 traded to a guy at work for a ruger p85. Then traded the ruger to a friend for a Savage 110 in 270. pretty good two weeks.
Old August 20, 2009, 01:43 PM   #14
Boats

Five weeks on an HK USP 45c. Way better in the wanting than in the having.

I almost dumped it after the first range trip revealed just how sucktastic the trigger really was, but then I decided that was rash. Had the variant changed, Second range trip sealed its fate. Sold it at a mild loss to some other sucker.

I'll never even look at another HK unless its trigger is drawing rave reviews from several quarters on the internet. So far its been about a decade with no such noise despite four newer offerings, the LEM being considered apparently just somewhat better than the standard HK total suck.
Old August 20, 2009, 02:18 PM   #15
Wleoff

About three hours. I took a friend with me to the CMP South Store to help pick out a couple of Garands. We both found nice HRAs. He didn't want to buy the one he selected, so I bought both. By the time that we drove to 160 miles home, he decided that he really wanted the one that he selected. So when I dropped him and his Garand off, he gave me a check for his rifle.

My wife never really understood that I wrote a check for two Garands at CMP, but sold one by the time that I got back to town. So much for the net sum game. She still doesn't believe me on this one.
Old August 20, 2009, 02:59 PM   #16
Hornett

Quote:
Five weeks on an HK USP 45c. Way better in the wanting than in the having.

I almost dumped it after the first range trip revealed just how sucktastic the trigger really was, but then I decided that was rash.

I'll never even look at another HK unless its trigger is drawing rave reviews from several quarters on the internet. So far its been about a decade with no such noise despite four newer offerings, the LEM being considered apparently just somewhat better than the standard HK total suck.
Almost my exact same experience with an HK USPc 40.
I think I had it for 2 months.
I bought a couple of extra mags for it.
Then sold it for the initial cost without the mags, so I was out the mag cost.
I was so glad to get rid of it, I didn't care.
Old August 20, 2009, 03:33 PM   #17
dev_null

About a week. Bought I nice little Taurus .38 with the "ribber" grips. Took only a dozen rounds to raise a nice blister, and only a few more to tear it off and leave me a big open sore. Bought some aftermarket grips and put them on, but by then the honeymoon was over and I sold it.
Old August 20, 2009, 04:01 PM   #18
queg

Win-Lose,

Do you see what the sp 9mms are going for, IF you can find one?

I found one a couple years ago, slapped CT laser grips on, and love it. I guess

I like stuff that's hard to get. Still working on one of the Olsen twins.
Old August 20, 2009, 04:07 PM   #19
BigJimP

Shortest time, from when I purchased and then sold a gun - probably 5 Years.. I tend to hang onto things / I still have a number of guns I purchased new or used in the 1970's / and a couple I was given in the late 1950's or early 60's ......

Last gun I bought - probably a year ago .....
Old August 20, 2009, 04:09 PM   #20
dcobler

I bought a pistol for a friend and he paid me for it about a week later.
Old August 20, 2009, 04:26 PM   #21
eppler

One week for me got a USP 40 compact next week got a USP 45 compact and gave the USP 40 to my dad.
Old August 20, 2009, 05:29 PM   #22
win-lose

Queg,
Those 9mm sp's are really quite collectible. I'm not a collector, but rather an accumulator. A gun has to fill a specific shooting function for me to keep it. I talked myself into going against my grain when I bought it. As such, it felt wrong to me while I had it.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:04 PM   #23
jmr40

About 30 min.

I had a Beretta 92 that I had bought used for around $250. It shot great, but looked beat up pretty bad. A pawnshop in town had a like new Beretta for $350. The guy hated Berettas and would not trade. I drove across town to another pawnshop and traded my beat up Beretta even for a Ruger P-90. Brought the P-90 back to the 1st pawnshop and traded even for the like new Beretta.

After years of trading at local shops I have learned that dealers have guns they like and dislike and which ones will give you a good price on which gun.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:26 PM   #24
Stevie-Ray

I think I had my Taurus PT-111 for less than a year. Certainly USED it for far less than that. Replaced by Glock 26. I think I kept my AMT Govt. longer than the Taurus.
Old August 20, 2009, 06:41 PM   #25
CajunBass

About a month or so for a Harrington & Richardson 650 22/22 magnun revolver. I took it to the range one time and just didn't like it. Traded it back to the shop on a Colt OP 38, at a very slight loss.

I probably would have kept it, but I have a bunch of really nice 22 pistols, and no 38's.
John 3:16 (NKJV)