The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2009, 08:33 AM   #1
bozhoz

Loading Data- IMR SR-4756- 9MM

I was hoping some of you could pass along some loading data for 9mm rounds in IMR SR-4756 powder. I only have the Hornady manual at this point, and have the Lyman manual on order. In the meantime, I'd love to see other recipes you all have used that work well for you.

The last load I did was:
Case: Winchester Brass
Primer: Winchester Small Pistol
Powder: 6.0 grains IMR SR-4756
Bullet- Winchester 115gr FMJ-hollow base bulk round nose
OAL: 1.10"

This load came straight from the Hornady manual. It is a little above 1/2 way on the power curve. I am currently loading up 6.2 grains to see if I have better accuracy. Max charge is listed as 6.4 grains. Suggest you maybe start a little lower than the 6.0 and work your way up.
The 6.0 grains shells functioned flawlessly in my Glock 19. Accuracy was good, but I want to do some more testing before I definitvely call them accurate or not vs. factory ammo.
Old April 28, 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
crowbeaner

I used to shoot 5.7 grains under the old long nosed RP 115 JHP in my Colt 9mm Gov't model. It was right there with any other loads I tried, more accurate than some, and functioned with the stock spring just fine. I'd stay where you are and not worry about that other 0.3 grains.
Old April 29, 2009, 08:14 PM   #3
bfoosh006

Steves Pages, old school, but I love it. Start low and work your way up, watch for signs of pressure.http://stevespages.com/355p_4_115.html
Old April 29, 2009, 08:47 PM   #4
bozhoz

Beautiful! FYI- I shot these at the range tonight. 6.2 grains of IMR SR-4756, Winchester, Federal, and CCI brass, WSP primers, Winchester 115 gr. FMJ-RN bullet OAL 1.10". Shot very well, accuracy was really good, but I think I am starting to see signs of pressure. Some of my primers appeared flattened. It looked like most of the winchester cases were flattened, 50/50 on the CCI's, and most of the federal were fine. Other than the flattened primers, I couldn't see any other visible signs of pressure.

As a comparison, I loaded a magazine with Wolf factory ammo (steel cases) and reloads alternating shots. The Wolf had substantially more recoil and flame and less accuracy, although did not appear to have flattened primers. Based on what I think are signs of pressure, I'll probably back town to 5.8-6.0 grains and do some more testing.