The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 30, 2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Dalerj

Glock trigger guard?

I would like to heat the trigger guard on a glock 17 to bend it out to provide more clearance for my trigger finger. The tip of my finger and nail drag on the inside of the guard. ( my finger is bent sideways at the second joint causing the tip to drag) Is this a reasonable thing to do? If so, how hot would the plastic have to get to push the guard out 3/16 of an inch? Am I forgetting any thing?
Does anybody know about the plastic the glock 17 is made of? Thanks, Dalerj
Old January 31, 2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Alleykat

I'd suggest just learning proper trigger placement on that Glock. You should only be using the tip of your finger to pull the trigger.
Old January 31, 2009, 04:20 PM   #3
roklok

It sounds to me like like he IS using the tip of his finger on the trigger. I know what he is talking about, especially in colder weather, the tip of my trigger finger would go numb from dragging on the guard and then getting slapped by it during recoil with the Glock 22. He did not say he was having problems with markmanship, just that his finger was dragging on guard. Just another reason I do not like the Glock, it seems like the angle of the trigger as it is nearing striker release actually tends to push the tip of trigger finger down into the guard, especially if the trigger is only released far enough to reset between multiple shots.

As far as bending it? I dont know. I would probably give it a try, but would hesitate to tell someone else to. The hard part is going to be getting it hot enough without affecting the structural integrity of the rest of frame, and without melting the trigger guard. It would have to be a precise heat source, maybe a propane torch would work. If you try it, be sure to let us know how it turns out.
Old February 1, 2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I have a G26 that was worked over to make things more comfortable. The frame was ground down to fit, so it's possible. I don't have time to do the leg work, but IIRC, there are some good articles on Brownell's website that talk about modifying Glock frames - hopefully that will give you some good info.

As the Chief Range Officer and firearms Instructor for the embassy security force I shoot a case of ammo (2000 rounds) every four/five days.

Sounds like a severe waste of tax payers dollars to me.
Old February 2, 2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Dalerj

Arthritis?, Yes!

As I said earlier, My finger is bent sidewise at the second joint. It is a physical problem with my hand. I can hold a 1 inch group with 10 shots at 7 yards with a s&w 638. I am not asking how to shoot but need a little help with a gunsmithing problem. Thanks for the posts. Any more would be welcomed. Dalerj
Old February 2, 2009, 09:09 PM   #6
sadsack

Dalerj: I have a damaged Glock frame that I replaced for a customer. I'll try heating it to see if it can be bent for you.
Old February 3, 2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Dalerj

Help from Sadsack!

That would be a big help! Thanks in advance. Let me know how you heated it. I make wooden bows so I am used to slowly heating wood & horn in order to bend it.
This kind of help is what makes this site GREAT! Thanks again Dalerj )
Old February 3, 2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Clemson

I don't think heating and bending is practical. The Glock frame is glass-filled Nylon 6,6. The melt point is around 265 C (508 F). The material, when it melts, flows. It is not practical to "move" the plastic about to bow the guard. When it gets soft enough to move, it will simply puddle up. Nylon will burn, also, so using something like a torch is out. I would suggest finding a different gun.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old February 3, 2009, 10:42 AM   #9
sadsack

Dalerj: If you are just going to roll the edge of the trigger guard it can be done, 'BUT'. As Climson posted, it would be impractical and probably unsafe to bend the whole guard. If you heat it enought to bend the guard you'll have issues with the mag release and other alignment problems, and there is a fine line between hot enough to bend and melted. I used a heat gun(hot air) set at 600-650, and a wooden dowel to roll the edge of the trigger guard, and that seemed to work ok.
Old February 3, 2009, 01:17 PM   #10
Dalerj

Sadsack, If I construct a heat shield and only heat the bottom and front of the trigger guard with my heat gun would I be able to push the bottom out 3/16? I would clamp the frame and pull out with a wood rod using both hands to pull and gradual pressure. What do you think?
Thanks, Dalerj
Old February 3, 2009, 03:15 PM   #11
sadsack

Dalerj: You might be able to move it that much. Just be aware of the damage that can be done, and that factory warranty is out the window. I gave it another try and opened this one up about an 1/8. This frame has a crack through the mag release hole and behind the guard. Bending the guard didn't change that at all.
The easiest way to hold it would be upside down in a vise with the slide on the frame and the trigger group removed. The smaller the area you apply the heat the better, my heat gun has a funnel like cap to concentrate the heat. After you bend it you'll have to hold it in position as it cools because of spring back.
Let us know how it works out for you.
Old February 4, 2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Alleykat

Quote:
As I said earlier, My finger is bent sidewise at the second joint. It is a physical problem with my hand.
My misunderstanding! Thought that you were consciously bending the trigger @ the second joint. Good luck with a remedy. I shoot a lot of rounds through Glocks and, fortunately, don't have trigger guard-rubbing-my-finger problems.