The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2009, 08:20 AM   #1
hodaka

Astra 400 help

Many years ago I bought an Astra 400. Like most of these cheap imports, the barrel looked like a sewer pipe and the accuracy was terrible. I did like the space gun look of the thing though and it sure conceals well since it is so flat. At one time you could buy replacement barrels from Federal Arms for less than $100, which was about what I paid for the pistol. I always planned to replace the barrel but never got around to it. Well, I started looking for one this morning via Google, but came up empty. Do any of you know a source of replacement barrels? Not interested in 9x19, just the Largo. Thanks.
Old January 30, 2009, 05:48 PM   #2
juanjo27

Hello,

You should find what you're looking for in the following site :

http://www.collectorfirearms.org/web...scriptions.htm

Regards.

Juan.
Old January 31, 2009, 09:39 AM   #3
hodaka

Juan,

Thank you very much. I had given up on this. Best wishes.
Old February 4, 2009, 05:27 PM   #4
juanjo27

You're welcome hodaka !

I forgot to mention the website http://www.9mmlargo.com/

I don't know if you already heard about it, but it's a very well done american site dedicated to spanish 9mm largo guns, and there you may find information about suppliers of parts for astra 400 and other vintage spanish guns.

May I abuse and ask you something ? Well, I own a old astra 400 navy model that has been in my family for more than 70 years (it was my grand father's service pistol during the spanish civil war in 1936/1939...). It becomes very difficult to find out 9mm largo ammo here in europe and I would like to start reloading some cartridges, but I only shoot this heirloom a few times a year, so I don't want to invest too much in a reloading press and die set just to reload a few cartridges. I'm thinking about purchasing online a LEE classic hand loader kit, but as far as I know there is no specific reference of this kit for 9mm largo (9X23). The closest version LEE offer is for 9mm luger (9X19).

Did you hear about these classic lee loader kits (they seem to be quite popular in USA) and do you know if it's possible to reload 9X23 with one of these kits sized for 9X19 ?

Thanks in advance for your help and...God blessTexas !! (I've been working and living in Austin for several months a couple of years ago and I keep a wonderful souvenir of this land !)
Old February 4, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
hodaka

No abuse at all. I do not know if one of the Lee Loaders will work for the Largo but I have been using the Lee standard 9mm dies for loading my Largo rounds. The dies work fine with the extra long cases. I started my reloading career with a .38 Special Lee Loader then graduated to a Challenger with standard dies after that. I would bet that the Lee Loader would work. I use Unique for my Largo rounds but I doubt I have shot 200 rounds through it. As I said, the barrel is terrible, as is the accuracy.

Your grandad must have had some tales to tell. I just read an article about that war in Military History magazine. A very bloody affair, much like ours.

I'm glad you enjoyed Austin. It is quite a town, but not as good as it was in the 70's. Best of luck!

Last edited by hodaka; February 4, 2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarity
Old February 5, 2009, 09:10 AM   #6
hivel37

Don't know if the Lee Loader will work with the 9mm Largo, but for sure the standard threaded dies will.

I have a Star in 9mm Largo -- think there might a lot of Largo lovers lurking
Old February 5, 2009, 04:45 PM   #7
juanjo27

Thank you !

I will order the lee loader kit in 9mm luger and try it on starline cases. It's low risk for the price of the kit (around 30 $...).

Yes, the civil war in spain was a bloody and sad affair...many families got broken and separated and many people had to leave the country because of their politic opinions...and that's why my family is now half settled in Spain and half in France.

hivel37 : Yes, many people are fond of 9L. It's a pleasant caliber and the Star, Astra and Llama guns were good guns, but the spanish government decided to stop the production of 9L and adopt the 9mm para for army and police when the country joined the NATO in the 80's, and now finding this ammo is like searching a needle in a straw loft. I still can find 9mm steyr which is quite similar to 9mm Largo, but it's 40€ (around 56$...) the box of 50 rounds ....it's not a caliber for crisis time!!

Best regards to both.

Juan.