Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How many of you open carry at
Home? 64 36.57%
At home when you have friends over? 60 34.29%
You don't carry a gun at all 51 29.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 26, 2009, 02:24 PM   #51
NightSleeper

I don't carry in the home, because violent crimes and home invasions in my town are non-existent. The day that changes (and sigh ... we all know it will) I will definitely begin carrying in my home.

Last edited by NightSleeper; January 26, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:10 PM   #52
ipscchef

When I go out on my farm I am always carrying. When I come in I usually just leave it strapped on until I go to bed.
We live out in the middle of nowhere, Police response time to our valley is at least 45min, and that is if they happen to by nearby the interstate exit.
Wherever we are in our home there is a loaded firearm within one step away but out of sight. That and Bonnie, our 140lb. Rotty gives us reasonable peace of mind.

I have a lot of respect for Law Enforcement Officers, especialy our State Troopers, but they are not there to prevent crimes, just to react to them after they have already happened.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:39 PM   #53
The Great Mahoo

In a word, sometimes.

I generally don't carry around my house, as I am confident I can get to a gun fairly quickly. If I have gone out and carried (I don't always carry since it can be difficult at work) I usually just leave it on until I go to bed.

As for open carry, usually not. I do carry OWB often, and when I come home I won't make any effort to hide the gun, but it is usually concealed well enough by what I am already wearing; that is, I don't usually need my jacket to conceal.
Old January 26, 2009, 05:12 PM   #54
JTMcC

I live in the sticks, so a paddle holster with a .45 is everyday wear outside. And I have a little .38 deringer in my pocket a lot of the time.
If I have company over, they probably came out to shoot on our little range, so no problem grilling steaks or dogs with the same .45 on. They are likely still wearing their pistol as well.
Inside the house the firearms are close at hand. My drive is over a quarter mile so we can hear anyone coming.
Arizona is an open carry state, I believe open carry is not just a right, but something that's needed. I open carry quite a bit and I've never yet read a real live instance where someone carrying openly was slaughtered in the typical internet "shoot me first" sceneario. Maybe those cases are out there, but my rights as a American citizen, in the state of Arizona, almost require me to exercise said rights.
So, I carry a .45 regularly (sometimes two), my Python often, and sometimes I even open carry my early 1960's Ruger single action Tactical Blackhawk Real Scarey Revolver.
But that's just me : )

JTMcC.
Old January 26, 2009, 05:25 PM   #55
Alert

if I had to open carry at home I'd consider moving to a nicer neighborhood
Old January 30, 2009, 11:53 AM   #56
JasonG

Simple:
Pants on = gun on.
Normally concealled, I don't own any OC holsters.
If I have a stranger coming in, IE bug guy, furniture delivery tonight, etc. I'll make sure the butt (of the gun) shows a bit.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old January 30, 2009, 05:19 PM   #57
besafe2

IMHO open carry is not smart & I don't carry at home. With that I said I can obtain my weapon/s very quickly if need be.
Old January 30, 2009, 07:12 PM   #58
armsmaster270

Everyone I know knows I am LE if they visit they know I have a gun on so if it's cold hidden, summer exposed. If I don't know you, you aren't coming in so its a moot point.
Old January 30, 2009, 09:19 PM   #59
Deet

I usually carry at home, and I usually have several within easy reach.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:41 AM   #60
JohnPaul

I open carry at home almost always....

unless my daughter has a friend coming over. My daughter is 16 and very pro-gun, she goes to range with me all the time, but her 16 year old girl friends are typically very gun shy so I just throw on a loose T-shirt when I get her text that she has a friend coming over.
Old January 31, 2009, 12:01 PM   #61
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
I voted concealed, but would like to note that I spend a lot of time open carrying.....just not out in public. Around the house or on the farm, I see no need to conceal so I just strap on and go about the usual business. I could carry either way legally in public, but choose to carry concealed.
This was my post from another open vs concealed thread recently. If I'm out in public, concealed. If I'm at home/on the farm, open. Everyone who would normally be visiting are accustomed to seeing firearms, and most of them are usually carrying anyway.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old January 31, 2009, 10:41 PM   #62
coondogger

I don't carry at home. And I only carry outside the home if I'm going to a bad neighborhood. However, we don't have any bad neighborhoods in my state. One of our bordering states is a bad neighborhood. But my permit is not honored there.
Old January 31, 2009, 10:50 PM   #63
vytoland

Quote:
How many of you open carry at home? & how many open carry with people visiting

never
Old January 31, 2009, 11:00 PM   #64
BobR

If I have been out earlier in the day I already have my gun on, so I don;t take it off just because I am at home.

About 90% of my carry is open carry, so at home that contnues.

If I haven't put on the gun for the day to go out, then I probably won't be carrying around the house, but I am never more the 10 steps from a gun.

bob
Old February 1, 2009, 12:39 AM   #65
Wildalaska

Doesnt anyone here other than me walk around naked at home?

WildducttapeAlaska TM
Old February 1, 2009, 12:53 AM   #66
SilentHitz

Yea, I just didn't wanna be the 1st to broadcast it.
Old February 1, 2009, 12:54 AM   #67
IZinterrogator

That's why they invented shoulder holsters, Wild.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old February 1, 2009, 12:58 AM   #68
Wildalaska

Quote:
That's why they invented shoulder holsters, Wild.
If someone dares to admit walking around nude in their house with a shoulder rig on, I will praise bersas in one post.

WildwhilstprayingforthisthreadtobelockeddownbeforeanormalpersonseesitAlaska TM
Old February 1, 2009, 01:01 AM   #69
SilentHitz

Quote:
If someone dares to admit walking around nude in their house with a shoulder rig on, I will praise bersas in one post.
Duz rolling in a wheelchair count??? LOL Now get started on that thread.
Old February 1, 2009, 02:31 AM   #70
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Let me go get my old shoulder holster from Bosnia, my Beretta, and my camera...

ETA: Couldn't find my shoulder holster, I think it's out in my gear locker in the garage. Oh, and all of my holsters are IWB concealment holsters, so when I do carry in the house, I carry concealed.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams

Last edited by IZinterrogator; February 1, 2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old February 1, 2009, 05:18 AM   #71
TheNatureBoy

I never carry inside of my home. When I'm in my garage reloading or messing around I carry or make sure that something is close at hand.
Old February 1, 2009, 05:28 AM   #72
Rich Miranda

There was no option in the poll for "I carry concealed at home", which is my choice. I carry regardless of who is at home and who visits. Open carry at home is perfectly legal but it would just scare visitors and my 2-year old son becomes very interested in my gun. If he doesn't see it, he doesn't care.
Old February 1, 2009, 05:35 AM   #73
FoMoCowboy

I have a few strategically placed guns around the house- next to my recliner, on the fridge and naturally in the nightstand.

but no need to carry.

Quote:
If you were shopping in a store and a couple of bad guys were going to rob it, who do you think they would take out first? The guy they saw with a gun.
Not only that, but when the Police arrive, you'll look no different than the bad guys......even the same concept for CONCEALED carriers, police show up and you've got your gun out shooting at the bad guy.....at that point you'll probably look no different than the bad guy.
Old February 1, 2009, 07:40 AM   #74
CajunBass

You know. This is something I don't even think about. If I'm home and not expecting anybody, I'm pretty much layed back in sweat pants or shorts during the summer. Most of the time, like right now, I don't have a gun on me. If I'm expecting someone, I might get dressed up and put on a pair of jeans and a clean shirt. Then I'll have my Commander on, because the holster gets swapped when the belt gets changed and an empty holster really looks silly.

Had a lady from Social Service come by one day to visit my wife (she's disabled). I had gotten dressed up and was wearing the Colt naturally. She didn't say anything until she was ready to leave then asked me if I'd walk her to her car. She said she saw I was "packing" and I could defend her from the ol' rooster that made a run at her when she got out of her car.

I can understand that. I had to kick the fire out of that stupid rooster a few times myself. He ended up in the stew pot, victim of "the great rooster purge of 08."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 2, 2009, 04:54 PM   #75
Socrates

When I have people over, I usually end up with the 360PD in my pocket, because that's what I check the door with, if it's daytime, and, I'm expecting someone.