The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 21, 2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Dusty Rivers

good pocket gun? And is that a gun in your pocket or are you happy to see me?

What are the recommendations for a good drop it in your pocket type pistol. I prefer something heavier than a 380 cal, very reliable, and just stuff it in your pocket, maybe between a bandanna to hide footprint.

addendum question, what is the issue if someone sees the imprint of your concealed gun. If you are making an attempt to conceal it, aren't you adhering to the CCW intent? If someone says is that a gun is it really a ccw legal issue?
Old April 21, 2008, 02:34 PM   #2
skeeter1

Pocket gun

For me, that would be the S&W model 60 in .38Spl+P. It might only be 5 shots, but I think it's powerful enough if I do my part when it comes to shot placement. I'm not a fan of the "spray and pray" philosophy that some people have. One round should be enough.

You might also want to consider a "inside-the-waistband" holster. I've got a cheap nylon one that I think I got from cheaperthandirt. It was <$10, and works well.
Old April 21, 2008, 02:36 PM   #3
BikerRN

For me it's the S&W 442/642.

I have a PM9, but still like the reliability of the Revolver over the "bottomfeeder" in the smaller guns. The PM9 doesn't get much carry time as I have a round gun in my pocket, no matter what is on my hip.

Biker
Old April 21, 2008, 02:40 PM   #4
orionengnr

I just returned from running a few errands with my 3" Kimber 1911 in my front pocket. It was inside a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (about $15).

The Kimber is my "winter carry" and is great for any time I can have a sweatshirt or untucked shirt--with a tucked-in t-shirt it is evident that "something" is in my pocket, but with the holster, what that "something" is, is not apparent. BTW, I am 5"9" and 140 and do not wear Hugh Jass Baggy/Saggies.

That said, it is now time to transition back to my "summer carry", a Kahr PM9, which is far more suited to summer-weight clothing and pocket carry.

As to your addendum question, check the laws in your state. They will vary. Regardless, a pocket holster makes all the difference in ability to disguise/conceal, accessability (by keeping the pistol in the same orientation all the time and safety (keep trigger covered and keeps stray objects out of the gun).
Old April 21, 2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Ridge_Runner_5

I had been thinking a P22 would be a good pocket gun...maybe a P99...though it would be bigger and heavier...
Old April 21, 2008, 02:52 PM   #6
tecdv

I usually carry my 3PAT in front pocket, but when I'm wanting something a little more substantial I'll go with my M85UL .38spl +P which is bigger and heavier, but still manageable.

Here in Ohio it don't matter if anyone can tell you have a gun in your pocket, other than to maybe the person carrying it. Open carry is legal here so printing is not a "Legal" issue. I still would like to keep my secret a secret, but if someone notices it in my pocket it's no big deal.
Old April 21, 2008, 02:54 PM   #7
Dave85

I, too am digging the J frame or similar revolver. I think .38 Spl. gives you plenty of oomph for the size. I have fired the .357s in the same size, and it's kind of like setting off a flashbang grenade in your hand. That is my personal experience. YM, as they say, MV.

IMO, several modern loads give .38 Special a decided advantage over .380 ACP. For example, the maker of the hottest of the hot in both these cartridges-Buffalo Bore-has a 100gr. 380 load that produces 280 ft.lbs of energy. Compare that to their 158gr. .38 Spl. load at 351 ft. lbs. And even in all steel, the J frame size works well in most of my pants. And I am very close to statistical average by most measures. I have a Taurus M85 sitting comfortably in my pocket as I write this. Unless you are going roller-skating in your Jordaches, it should work pretty well.
Old April 21, 2008, 03:06 PM   #8
Keltyke

"What are the recommendations for a good drop it in your pocket type pistol."

I carry a Keltec PF-9 that way. 9mm auto, DAO, 3" barrel, 14 oz., 7+1, very reliable and accurate.

"addendum question, what is the issue if someone sees the imprint of your concealed gun."

You'll need to check your state law for the answer to that one. Each state is different.
Old April 21, 2008, 03:29 PM   #9
bikerbill

My regular carry gun is a PM9; in a holster during colder weather, in a Nemesis in my right front pocket when it's hot ... I also have a PT25 for walking the dog around my rural almost-no-crime town; more to fend off feral dogs, coyotes and the occasional agravated white-tail buck in mating season. The PM9 is a great little weapon; accurate, never fails to go bang, light ... the perfect pocket cannon.
Old April 21, 2008, 03:34 PM   #10
joegator

S&W 642 loaded with Cor Bon 110 grain DPX solid copper +P hollow points.
Old April 21, 2008, 03:36 PM   #11
roman3

I have one of the original (and good) Charter Arms Undercover and it has been reliable as all get out. In a uncle mikes #3 pocket holster and off I go. Just got a Ruger LCP so it may take its place.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:30 AM   #12
rdrancher

I carry a vintage Undercover or a 642-1 in my front pocket pretty much every day. Holsters vary depending on the pocket style - Uncle Mike's, Mika, RKBA or DM Bullard leather. I like 'em all.

My chosen carry round is Buffalo Bore's 158gr LSWCHC Standard Pressure.

It works for me.

rd
Old April 25, 2008, 04:38 AM   #13
ImDisaster

I've pocketed a S&W M&P C, a Taurus PT111 and a Bersa Thunder (.380.)
IMHO, all of these are a bit too big...thickness is the issue. A doublestack shortened service handgun is still too thick. There is no question that there is something in your pocket...and you need big pockets and loose pants. The Bersa is better, but has all kinds of stuff sticking out....grip tang, magazine pinky grip...etc. I will probably pick up a Keltec PF9...which seems to be the best of that breed of pocket 9's for the price. Wish one of the big boys would make a reliable pocketable gun in this ilk.
Old April 25, 2008, 06:19 AM   #14
Johannes_Paulsen

I personally have an MK9, and find it acceptable for pocket carry (though it's most comfortable in a jacket pocket or rear pocket -- if you can only do front pocket, try it out and see if you think it's too heavy.)
Old April 25, 2008, 09:32 AM   #15
gb_in_ga

You might want to consider a Kel-Tec PF-9. I've got one, and it seems to work pretty well for what you are needing done. It did take a trip to the range to break it in, but after that it has been reliable. I got the belt clip for mine, I usually carry it IWB using that but it still fits in a pocket.

Quote:
addendum question, what is the issue if someone sees the imprint of your concealed gun. If you are making an attempt to conceal it, aren't you adhering to the CCW intent?
You better check your local laws on that. It varies. As far as the people you meet on the street are concerned, don't worry about it. As long as you actually have it concealed, they will be oblivious. (Some) LEOs do watch for printing, however. It is not only a law enforcement issue for them but potentially one of survival as well.
Old April 25, 2008, 09:53 AM   #16
natjohnb

I carry a S&W 642 front pocket in a Uncle Mike's Sidekick pocket holster (cheap but works very good) loaded with 135gr +P Gold Dots.
Old April 25, 2008, 09:55 AM   #17
ElectricHellfire

The Ruger LCP but that is a .380. Kahr would be the next up the list but they are really pricey. I would never own a Kel-Tec but thats just my opinion as lots of people like them. J frame .38 would be a nice suggestion.
Old April 25, 2008, 11:31 AM   #18
Van55

Pre-lock J Frame .357 revolver or Ruger SP101 for me... with LCP .380 as backup.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:40 PM   #19
psyfly

Ditto on the "vintage" undercover...

It also keeps me from spending my hard-earned $ on another SP101 (I once traded one away).

Everytime I get the itch, I remember I have the Charter and I talk myself out of the new Ruger...

Don't know if that's a good thing or not .

Will
Old April 25, 2008, 12:53 PM   #20
lear jet 45

Glock 27 in 40 S&W
Old April 25, 2008, 02:15 PM   #21
DMacLeod

para carry
Old April 25, 2008, 02:33 PM   #22
Doyle

Polish P-64 in either a Desantis Nemisis for pocket carry or a SmartCarry belt if wearing pants with small pockets.
Old April 25, 2008, 02:54 PM   #23
mavracer

Smith&Wesson M&P 340 top Charter Bulldog Pug DAO bottom

here they are in they're holsters
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old April 25, 2008, 03:13 PM   #24
Wildalaska

Seecamp. There is no other "pocket" gun.

WildihavespokenAlaska ™
Old April 25, 2008, 04:22 PM   #25
yomama

PF9-keltec

Amazing gun.

I know this comment will get some flack, and I expect it. But I'll tell you, undercover cops loved the p11 for many years, and the price reflected that the masses do not understand the purpose of these guns. They are meant to be easily conceled, and not for extended range practice.