The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 1999, 12:06 AM   #1
Robert Foote

I ordered an 870 today which I will work up into a social shotgun. Although I have been loading rifle and pistol since 1962, my agency provided all the shotgun ammo I needed as a trainer. Having retired, those happy days are over and I am pondering my options for affordable ammo. I want to load enough quality ammo for practice but do not need a great amount or fast production. I note that RCBS makes a die set that will work in the Rock Chucker C press, and that Lee makes a 'Load-All II' are these suitable for what I propose to do? Comments solicited, please.

------------------
Old May 17, 1999, 01:38 PM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I'm in the same position in that I'm getting ready to start reloading shotshells. Picked up a used Lee Load Master at a show for about $20 a while back.
Old May 18, 1999, 07:54 AM   #3
muddyboots

I don't reload shotgun shells (because of a mishap with a reload of my uncles blowing up on me 25 years ago). I use target loads most of the time shooting blue rock and find I can pick them up for as low as $3 for a box of 25. I don't shoot shotgun all that much (> 200 a year). It's the only thing I don't load.
My question is: what does it cost to load shotgun shells these days? If I remember heavy loads (hunting) can save a lot of money. What about target loads?
Old May 24, 1999, 10:24 AM   #4
zot

I bought a MEC 600 jr. for $75, its a 5
station press for shot shells,it uses sliding
bar with inserts to measure out shot and powder, very accurately. and Lymans shotshell
reload manual gives alot of info so you
shoudn't mess up. I buy once fired winchester
AA shells and wads , you have to figure what
load you want before buying wads, but I
reload buck and number 4 field loads in same
AA shell case, 4 buck,00 buck,000 buck and
so on etc.you can load light target or heavy
mag, I've sat and done 100 rounds no problem
its not a auto index reloader, you move the shell to each station by hand, first resize
and knock out primer, second reprime, third
powder drop and seat wad, slide bar and drop shot, 4th start crimp ,5th crimped and done,
Bluedot I use for heavy field loads and buck shot. Red dot I use for target. for the price
the MEC is all setup for shot shells in the
gauge you want, the charge bars cost $7.00
they drop the shot according to the size you buy, powder bushings cost $1.25 and they drop
into charge bar, its a good safe setup, you
can mount the press next to your others, but
if you buy RCBS dies you'll have to change
dies each step which will make it a real chore.