The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2014, 03:28 PM   #1
focodude

Question re: CZ polycoat finish wear after use of weapon mounted light

I got an SP-01 Tactical a little over a month ago. It's my first CZ and I'm very pleased with how well it shoots. Up to this point I've mostly shot Glocks and Sigs.

I noticed some of the polycoat finish came off after using a TLR-1HL weapon mounted light. I've only attached / detached the light around 3 times. I've attached some pictures below.

I have a few questions:

-Do I need to worry about rust forming in the areas where the polycoat has worn off?
-If the answer to the previous question is yes, is there anything you recommend doing to help prevent rust (applying paint, oiling the gun, ...)?

I'm not expecting my gun to look pristine. My main concern is preventing rust. I intend on keeping and using this gun for a long time.

Old July 19, 2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Hurryin' Hoosier

Touch it up with a bluing pen and drive on.
Old July 19, 2014, 04:03 PM   #3
DA/SA Fan

You're not looking too bad yet. I've seen some used CZs on the gun sale sites that were absolutely horrendous with the coating peeling off. I would think the touch up would work for you now, but if it starts to get bad, I would make sure to keep a little oil on it.
Old July 20, 2014, 07:55 PM   #4
IdahoG36

The poly coat on CZ pistols is relatively fragile. It doesn't take much at all to gouge, scrape, or otherwise damage it.

This was a CZ 75B Compact that I owned awhile back. The poly coat finish was terrible, so I had it Cerakoted in Burnt Bronze. The Cerakote was much tougher.
Old July 20, 2014, 10:02 PM   #5
chris in va

I wouldn't worry about it. I have chips on my P01 and (former) 75bd that never rusted after ten years.
Old July 20, 2014, 10:36 PM   #6
bfoosh006

IdahoG36.... that is a damn fine looking CZ. Thanks for sharing.
Old July 21, 2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Pilot

Normal wear. No issue. I have had CZ's and their polycoat finish since the mid 90's. No worries.
Old July 21, 2014, 08:31 PM   #8
bricz75

Quote:
The poly coat on CZ pistols is relatively fragile. It doesn't take much at all to gouge, scrape, or otherwise damage it.

This was a CZ 75B Compact that I owned awhile back. The poly coat finish was terrible, so I had it Cerakoted in Burnt Bronze. The Cerakote was much tougher.

Surprised to hear that about the polycoat. I had something in stainless Cerakoted and it started coming off. I guess it was either the stainless or a bad job by the applicator; I know Cerakote has a good rep.
Old July 22, 2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Walt Sherrill

If your gun is black, pick up a small spray can (or bottle, if your prefer) of Dupli-Color auto body touch up paint, and apply it carefully to the marks or chips. It's an almost perfect match to the polycoat finish. If others have a different color, matte touchup paint in something close to the gun's finish might work. And there's always model paint -- where you can MIX your own matching color. In fact, if it's black, almost any matte black car touch-up paint will do.

The reason I mentioned the spray can is that the spray paint is thinner. The paint in the small bottles tend to be a bit thicker, and will thicken more with time -- making it tougher to fill scratches, etc. (If you spray a small amount onto a piece of aluminum foil, and then use a small brush to grab some of that the "sprayed" paint and apply it to the gun with the brush, it can turn out out pretty well.)

The CZs I've owned that had the newer polycoat finish have been as durable (or more durable) than the finish on other guns (like Glocks) and a lot less trouble than blued guns. CZ keeps changing and improving polycoat, so if your gun is older, it might not hold up as well and the latest/newest polycoat finish. That said, I have had no experience with any of the OTHER colors -- like in the photo above -- so the formula MIGHT be different with those colors.

The oldest, pre-B CZ-75s had an enamel finish that nicked or chipped easily. Late pre-Bs and early "B" models had a more-durable finish, but it could be harmed by some solvents. Over the years CZ has worked out some of those problems, but the finish will still chip or nick if you hit it too hard. The touchup paint can make an almost invisible repair. But keep in mind: the stuff that caused that mark would have done something ugly to the gun if the gun had been blued.

My favorite CZ finish is satin nickel, but you can't get a P-01 in that finish from the factory.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 22, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old July 25, 2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Skans

That polycoat finish on CZ's is precisely why I wouldn't even consider one for years. Then, CZ came out with two types of stainless finishes and even a polished blued gun. Now, I'd really like to have a CZ in one of these other finishes, but NOT in the polycoat - have hated that stuff for years!

Tags
finish , polycoat , rust , sp-01