The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 29, 2007, 10:27 PM   #1
M1A1gunner

To creek or not to creek!

Started preseason whitetail scouting for the year, this evening. Afterward I got to thinking, I live on a 100 acre farm, and have hunted here all my life. I've shot alot of nice deer, in open fields, and in hardwoods. In 1994 my grandfather had the land logged. Now I have alot of thick underbrush lining my creek banks. Well since the logging, I have had to change my hunting strategies a bit. Well there is one huge buck I have been tracking for about 4 years now, and he likes the thick stuff. I have tried drawing him out of it, tried running him out and still nothing. I notice this one path he uses by the large amount of sign, along the way. He crosses the creek in this area alot. Way too thick to set up in. So here is my question. Is it possible to set up in the creek and ambush him when he crosses, or could he be using the creek in a means to travel undetected, the water washing his tracks away? Is this at all posibile? Have any of you ever done this before or am I just crazy?
Old June 30, 2007, 01:17 AM   #2
FirstFreedom

Yes, I think it's certainly possible, if you think you know where he crosses:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ferrerid=36767
Old July 2, 2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Clayfish

It is possible but what I would do is clear some land a couple hundred yards away and plant a nice feed plot. This will bring the deer in to feed and during the rut he just won't be able to resist all those does feeding in your nicely tended plot.
Old July 2, 2007, 04:37 PM   #4
M1A1gunner

Great idea clay!
Old July 4, 2007, 04:56 AM   #5
Death from Afar

I dont know if this is legal in the US, but put out a big block of salt. Its a "deer magnet".
Old July 4, 2007, 05:08 AM   #6
bcarver

creek crossing

Creeks in our area are used alot. Deer will come in and drink while crossing.
I have not seen them walk up or down a creek for any long distance.
They seem to cross them rather fast...not lingering in the day time. I feel that they feel more nervous in the open in daylight...

If you set up on a crossing try to place your stand where you will be able to see the deer as he approaches the crossing. Bucks will tend to check things out before walking into the open.

Only hunt it when the wind is blowing in vour face.

Ideally... pick a route to bring you in where you don't cross his path and will be facing the predominate wind direction.